HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
The problem is that this is built into the body politic. In fact, the municipal statute gives councils a crazily wide power of discretion based upon the ridiculous and un-assertainable notion of "the community good."
And therefore they come under intense pressure from parts of the community trying to co-opt that notion - taking ownership for the whole.
Only irresponsible councilors keep caving to the vocal few and establish that as good for the community, when all they do is shirking off their duties to improve the overall competitiveness of this city and its inhabitants. Truly shameful.

The upcoming skytrain extension project is the best chance that the Broadway corridor can live up to its full potential, but I have this nagging feeling that it will be derailed once again.

Last edited by Vin; May 7, 2020 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Only irresponsible councilors keep caving to the vocal few and establish that as good for the community, when all they do is shirking off their duties to improve the overall competitiveness of this city and its inhabitants. Perhaps they don't want to create any controversies or put themselves in difficult situations that may harm their stable paycheques and retirement plans. Truly shameful.
I think the idea is to piss no one off. Most people don't actually bother to go out and vote unless they are angry. Thus the groups that are vocal need to be heeded. Most YIMBY's are not voters, while NIMBY's are. Also city Council and top government officials generally own millions in RE assets. They are vested in ensuring that their prices increase and their views are not blocked.

Not to mention that poverty advocates are encouraged to always say "no" to make a fuss. If they got everything they wanted and poverty wasn't solved then they'd look awful. They are constantly seeking the spotlight. Plus if they say yes and someone makes a profit then suddenly they must be in the pocket of capitalists.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 12:38 AM
BANNED

1946 W. Broadway just sold for $8.5 mil. At 6250sqft that works out to $1360 a sqft. Obviously not that close to the station so this price is probably the floor for Broadway properties.

Quote:
Site near planned SkyTrain station sells over assessment
A 4,392-square-foot retail building on a 6,250-square-foot West Broadway lot near the future Arbutus transit station in Vancouver sold for $8.5 million.
https://www.westerninvestor.com/done...ent-1.24131637
https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/us...pdf?1557250106

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:44 AM

Note they posted an update in September for the Broadway Plan:

https://shapeyourcity.ca/broadway-pl...virtual-update

Covid has delayed things six months so council won't review anything until mid-2021. But they are going to focus on the near term with:

Quote:
Supporting Broadway Subway Project, e.g. street design concepts
for station blocks

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Note they posted an update in September for the Broadway Plan:

https://shapeyourcity.ca/broadway-pl...virtual-update

Covid has delayed things six months so council won't review anything until mid-2021. But they are going to focus on the near term with:
Because the whole world hasn't been able to adapt virtually during this pandemic mess.

An interesting observation that I made when reviewing the report and the presentation... In the actual report they release their digital interactions on their website (page 39):

Whereas in their presentation, they don't showcase their digital engagements:

The government is going to have to learn real quick that to reach out to future generations that they are going to have to prioritize (and value) digital outreach campaigns (and data) if they are interested in gathering opinions from the majority demographic. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way that their digital engagement stats were left out in the presentation (unless I missed it) because IRL if they did that presentation then it would seem that they would leave that data out. And my personal gripe with the presentation is that it is presented in a video format when it should really be a pdf; it's a silent presentation so the video format is just unnecessary.

If I understood their statistic correctly, it's not just website views that they were tracking but actual engagements from users.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Oct 2, 2020 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Because the whole world hasn't been able to adapt virtually during this pandemic mess.
In their defence, they need to cater to their voters; many NIMBYs are too old to understand "proper consultation" as anything but "an in-person venting rant directly to City Council."

YIMBYs, of course, would be more than fine with reviewing things now.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:48 PM

Ah I remember, the numbers you are referring to was a follow-up from the first engagement of 10k people (Marc-Sept 2019), and thos round (Sept 2019-March 2020) was a focus on those underrepresented in the 10k engagement number.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:50 PM

So 12,000 in Phase 1.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
In their defence, they need to cater to their voters; many NIMBYs are too old to understand "proper consultation" as anything but "an in-person venting rant directly to City Council."

YIMBYs, of course, would be more than fine with reviewing things now.
In this case they are pandering to the minority... Based on the stats that I screened from the city's own document and presentation, the city received about 4x more interactions on their website than they did with in-person events.

It isn't the fact that they hosted in-person events that irks me, it's the following:

1. They have to stall a review process because they refuse to work virtually from home to "refine the plan directions" EVEN THOUGH MOST OF THEIR DATA INSIGHTS comes from their website interactions as opposed to in-person events. It's simply inefficient and suspicious to stall the consultation process when they could (at the very least) be implementing a further ongoing digital campaign to continue to collect data with plans for more community engagements after COVID-19. I just simply don't see why they have to stop the digital data collection..

2. In the video presentation, they make no mention of their digital stats. I get that this is a personal interpretation but to me that tells me that they have a bias towards their in-person data collection methods. The digital data collected from the website should have been included in the presentation alongside the in-person event data. The omission of the digital data makes no sense to me and it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Oct 5, 2020 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:44 PM

The city decided to retask them to Covid related projects which is part of the reason the plan is delayed.

8000 touch points means nothing. Try looking up those Broadway Plan hashtags on Twitter it's mostly just from the City of Vancouver or workers talking about their offline engagement sessions.

What the offline and online engagement statistics show is that basically most people don't really care and you're just trying to make a big deal about nothing. If anything all their sessions basically are all just special interest people because everyone else can't be bothered.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
8000 touch points means nothing. Try looking up those Broadway Plan hashtags on Twitter it's mostly just from the City of Vancouver or workers talking about their offline engagement sessions.
Incorrect. It says, and I even highlighted, that it was 8000+ engagements on the website. An engagement on an online platform is an exchange of information from the user and from the content. Feel free to look at the image again.

Quote:
What the offline and online engagement statistics show is that basically most people don't really care...
That I can agree with although we don't know how far their reach was so that would be an assumption.

Quote:
...and you're just trying to make a big deal about nothing.
Incorrect again; that's 2 for 2 now. Looking at data that the city has collected and comparing how it is presented to the public is something that prevents misunderstandings. Rhetorical question: why leave out the fact that there were 8000 online engagements from the presentation? And if you don't want to discuss it then there is nothing forcing you to keep posting.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Incorrect. It says, and I even highlighted, that it was 8000+ engagements on the website. An engagement on an online platform is an exchange of information from the user and from the content. Feel free to look at the image again.
In your earlier post you said "If I understood their statistic correctly, it's not just website views that they were tracking but actual engagements from users."

What if you didn't understand their statistic correctly? What if the 8,028 Touch Points were exactly that - 8,028 hits on the website? 8,000+ exchanges of information on a City website seems a bit unlikely. This report has been put together under difficult conditions. The team are probably not in the office, but working remotely. Maybe whoever put both 'Touch Points' and 'interactions' used the word 'interaction' inaccurately? I have no idea, but if you're really bothered about this, why don't you ask them? And let us know the answer.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
In your earlier post you said "If I understood their statistic correctly, it's not just website views that they were tracking but actual engagements from users."

What if you didn't understand their statistic correctly? What if the 8,028 Touch Points were exactly that - 8,028 hits on the website? 8,000+ exchanges of information on a City website seems a bit unlikely. This report has been put together under difficult conditions. The team are probably not in the office, but working remotely. Maybe whoever put both 'Touch Points' and 'interactions' used the word 'interaction' inaccurately? I have no idea, but if you're really bothered about this, why don't you ask them? And let us know the answer.
They had more details on their online engagement in an earlier report. Appendix A. Mentions 1,5000 signing up for a newsletter, people responding to surveys.

https://council.vancouver.ca/2019100...ents/cfsc2.pdf

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:32 PM

A general comment. Folks that engage with City data and surveys / plans online are already engaged or semi-informed (you know what you're looking for).

Offline engagement the City is trying to intimately reach out and get information from folks not in the know - most of the citizenry. It's like Open Houses I host or Public Hearings I attend... prospective renters or families are not present, but retired folks that will lose street parking when the project is finally built 5 years from then attend and oppose. The "engagement" is not broad.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Any updates on this project? Why isn’t this bulldozed by now and completely leveled?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:21 AM

Transportation Advisory Committee Presentation

Quote:
Public consultation on the Broadway Plan will open Feb 16th, but bike lanes on Vancouver’s next Great street are not envisioned in the preliminary design. Instead, vehicle lanes will be reallocated to allow for wider sidewalks, & patios, with cycling connections on N/S roads.
https://twitter.com/City_Duo/status/...416538120?s=20

Quote:
As such, feedback with be sought regarding changes to every major N/S arterial in the Broadway Plan area from Arbutus to Clark. While Main, & Cambie show the most potential, Granville is proving to be the hardest, & Laurel St’s connection to VGH presents obvious difficulties.
https://twitter.com/City_Duo/status/...864292873?s=20

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:44 AM

Well said - build a street for people, not bikes.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:55 PM

That's too bad. Without a separated bike lane, people will just bike/ebike/scoot all over super wide (>4m) sidewalks. It'll arguably be more chaotic and annoying to pedestrians than having a little less space and more separation.

Last edited by idunno; Jan 29, 2021 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 12:18 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
That's too bad. Without a separated bike lane, people will just bike/ebike/scoot all over super wide (>4m) sidewalks. It'll arguably be more chaotic and annoying to pedestrians than having a little less space and more separation.
Seeing as there are designated bike streets flanking Broadway on both sides, I see it as a bit redundant.

In my opinion calmed residential streets are a much nicer place to bike than a dedicated lane on a busy road.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Seeing as there are designated bike streets flanking Broadway on both sides, I see it as a bit redundant.

In my opinion calmed residential streets are a much nicer place to bike than a dedicated lane on a busy road.
You and me both, but the bike nazis see it differently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues