HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
But, food for thought - in terms of creating a dense, more urban feel for the city overall, what's better? Two 15-story or 3 10-story buildings, or a single 30 story building?
This is the nub of the issue. Centre Plan is designed to accommodate 40% of the growth that happens in HRM over the next 15 years (estimated to be 33,000 new people in the Regional Centre). HRM can stick that growth in a couple of very tall buildings, or it can spread it around to create reinvestment in a bunch of areas in the Regional Centre.

Also worth noting, the downtowns could still accommodate 20+ storey buildings.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
Nonetheless, Winnipeg isn't full of really much taller buildings than Halifax relative to its size, regardless of arbitrary height limits.

You noted yourself that Winnipeg's tallest building was at some point 33 stories, just like Halifax's is now, when Winnipeg was already much larger than Halifax is now.

The example seems to demonstrate more that Halifax is already doing pretty well in high-rise development relative to Winnipeg.
Not trying tp make any kind of point... Just throwing it in the mix!

http://dailycommercialnews.com/Proje...ipeg-1019358W/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Presumably these applications would be grandfathered in, depending how far along they are in the process when the Centre Plan comes into effect.
No.

" As part of our analysis of these applications, and in consideration of the current status of the Centre Plan process, it is now an appropriate time to seek public feedback on each of the proposals. This will take place at a public meeting on December 7th, 2016 at the Atlantica Hotel at 1980 Robie St., Halifax where each development proposal will be presented within the context of the proposed Centre Plan policy.

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/docu...026cdac8.2.pdf

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
No.

" As part of our analysis of these applications, and in consideration of the current status of the Centre Plan process, it is now an appropriate time to seek public feedback on each of the proposals. This will take place at a public meeting on December 7th, 2016 at the Atlantica Hotel at 1980 Robie St., Halifax where each development proposal will be presented within the context of the proposed Centre Plan policy.

What a sh*tshow this is going to be. Haven't these already all had their dog and pony shows? [Comment Removed]

HRM Planning needs to have their wings clipped.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 25, 2016 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
No.

Well, hopefully lots of people who care about seeing these developments proceed will get out there, and try to counteract the 4 voices that will be there to scream that they will cause the sky to fall.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Not trying tp make any kind of point... Just throwing it in the mix!

http://dailycommercialnews.com/Proje...ipeg-1019358W/
Cool! I have said before, I figure when a city gets into that 7 - 800,000 range, you start to see 40+ story buildings. I'm sure there's no exact formula but my observation of cities around the continent would seem to support the notion that there are sort of stages of population growth that correlate with height increases.

If I had all the time in the world, I'd try to download all of skyscraperpage's building data, match it with city and metro population data, and plot it all out to see how closely the two are correlated, and how predictable height increases might be.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Comment removed.
Wow. That comment is very tasteless and inappropriate. Even for you.

Mods, can we get this disrespectful comment wiped from the thread?

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
They talk about height regimes and bonusing in the plan. In a zone that qualifies for 16-20 stories, is that 16 as of right and up to 20 with bonusing, or is it build 16-20 as of right and you can get more than 20 with bonusing? I wasn't clear on reading the plan if bonusing could get a developer more than 20 stories or not.

I was also concerned that for some lots that already have proposals started, the plan seemed to shut those down, even if the proposal and area makes a lot of sense. For example, the corner of Robie and Spring Garden (16-20 zone), the Little Nashville site on Wyse road (4-6 zone), The Bens Bakery site on Pepperell (4-6 zone), Cruikshanks Funeral Home on Robie next to The Welsford (4-6 zone) - for crying out loud, they zone the Welsford property as 4-6!

It was disheartening to see these vast centre areas in red on the main map, only to drill down and see that precious small portions were dedicated to anything more than 4-6 let alone 7-20. I agree that a few 30 story buildings around town are nice to have, maybe there will be, maybe there won't. And I don't necessarily need or want to see much more 20 story zones, but I'd hope to see more swathes of 11-15 and certainly 7-10 throughout these primary growth areas. This is all expensive property, subject to high property tax in the current regime, and its not difficult to imagine developers stepping back from these properties because it would be hard to build a profitable project that is a) architecturally interesting b) made from quality materials c) affordable for tenants.

It could all serve to accelerate growth outside of the centre where developers can still cut deals to get more bang for their buck and pay less tax to boot.
Quote:
Presumably these applications would be grandfathered in, depending how far along they are in the process when the Centre Plan comes into effect.
Quote:
No.

The height limits in this CP are truly outrageous, especially if HRM planning are not grandfathering proposals. They're using the Plan to turn back the clock on countless fantastic proposals, many already in the the works, or proposed. It's like an omnibus attempt by HRM bureaucrats to stuff 20 development approval/disapproval processes into a single vote on the Centre Plan.

And does anyone else also find it suspicious that the "Centre Plan Urban Structure Release" emerged only a few days *after* the election? Why not have it out there before, so Councillors could take position on it and campaign for or against? Why is the full Plan only being released by the end of the month? Why not have some democratic input?

The vague "Objectives" came out a few days before the election, but the documents that suggested concrete height limits/controls for many neighborhoods... released days after?

By the way, I completely agree with this assessment by Terry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
It was disheartening to see these vast centre areas in red on the main map, only to drill down and see that precious small portions were dedicated to anything more than 4-6 let alone 7-20. I agree that a few 30 story buildings around town are nice to have, maybe there will be, maybe there won't. And I don't necessarily need or want to see much more 20 story zones, but I'd hope to see more swathes of 11-15 and certainly 7-10 throughout these primary growth areas. This is all expensive property, subject to high property tax in the current regime, and its not difficult to imagine developers stepping back from these properties because it would be hard to build a profitable project that is a) architecturally interesting b) made from quality materials c) affordable for tenants.

It could all serve to accelerate growth outside of the centre where developers can still cut deals to get more bang for their buck and pay less tax to boot.
I'll wait for the final document, and make a final judgment on that, but for now, I'm #KillTheCentrePlan.

I've never trusted HRM planning on anything like this.

HRM Planning completely dropped the ball on the RP+5, it took incredibly public/political pressure to realize they goofed up and were doing little to contain sprawl.

HRM Planning also tried to suppress the Stantec Report, which offered clear evidence/recommendations for hundreds of millions of savings, by driving more growth downtown, rather than more in sprawl parks. Rather the RP+5 seemed more concerned with a detailed "Road Network Plan" than achieving downtown/urban growth targets. Instead, they only made the Stantec Report public after significant pressures, and even then, tried to editorialize/discredit it with a lame FAQ about its meaning/implication.

And now, after delaying the Centre Plan for literally years, they've released this regressive document, which will lock in communities, deter development, not only skyscrapers but also midrise development, and increase housing prices for everyone while promoting sprawl.

Well done, HRM Planning. What a gong show.

Last edited by counterfactual; Oct 24, 2016 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Comment removed
I don't know if any of them have had a PIM - I see several that have not had a PIM.
As I said to several people after the election results - " If you are a developer and you didn't have approval by election day - you are out of luck "
Yesterday I looked online at the Domvista condo project on Gary Martin Drive. The building has 60 condos and 30 parking units and in the past 24 months has sold just 32 condos and 18 parking spots.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Wow. That comment is very tasteless and inappropriate. Even for you.

Mods, can we get this disrespectful comment wiped from the thread?
No, it's not. Let it stand, mods.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:21 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I am so glad we are able to block some peoples comments.....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I am so glad we are able to block some peoples comments.....
We are?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 9:59 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. Let it stand, mods.
My apologies. I just found it extremely tasteless, and wondered how his friends or family would feel should they read that.

Obviously, you and I have different ideas about decorum.

That's fine, it's not a surprise really, but I did think that the standards of this forum were higher than that. Again, obviously, I was wrong.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:09 PM
Halifax Promoter!

yes, we can block people from seeing their comments. Someone posted this a few weeks back and I used it, works great.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
We are?
Top left on your skyscraper forum toolbar -> User CP> Edit Ignore List

Last edited by hoser111; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:01 AM. Reason: mispelling

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Why is the full Plan only being released by the end of the month? Why not have some democratic input?
There were several rounds of public consultation over the last year or so - did you participate at all?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
There were several rounds of public consultation over the last year or so - did you participate at all?
And there will be many more to come. There are going to be a number of workshops to review the draft throughout November. HRM is also taking open comment on the draft until early December.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Top left on your skyscraper forum toolbar -> User CP> Edit Ignore List
Thanks guys, it works like a charm!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:29 PM

Reciprocated.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 2:22 PM
hi

To be honest, I find the Plan’s height limitations pretty horrifying. I consider them drastic, oppressive, uncompromising and what's worse: they seem to be based on the ideology of a relative few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
And there will be many more to come. There are going to be a number of workshops to review the draft throughout November. HRM is also taking open comment on the draft until early December.
I understand there has been some effort to engage the public. However, I’m sure that the majority of Haligonians have no idea this is happening, and may or may not agree that it is the best way to literally shape our city's future. The extent of the implications of this plan should require HRM to do better than this. In effect, it has been undemocratic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth