HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Butterfly in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:37 PM

Whew!!!! Talk about drifting off topic ............

.......... (some days later ........)
Any updates, info, or stats on this one? It's too snazzy to be "back-burnered" right now.

Last edited by trofirhen; Oct 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 8:10 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Koops65 has drawn the building and added it to the diagram section:

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=70372067

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Koops65 has drawn the building and added it to the diagram section:

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=70372067
Despite the moderate height of 550' I think this one will be a smart, bold newcomer to the central city.
Additionally, it sits halfway up the Burrard slope, giving it more prominece than it would have down along Georgia.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 10:31 PM

I didn't realize that Trump will be only fourth tallest in Metro after after Brentwood 2 and Altus complete. Brentwood is going to be seriously tall!

I also like how we are finally starting to see more buoldings with 50+ (numbered) floors.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I didn't realize that Trump will be only fourth tallest in Metro after after Brentwood 2 and Altus complete. Brentwood is going to be seriously tall!

I also like how we are finally starting to see more buoldings with 50+ (numbered) floors.
... and it's a bit unusual that the tallest buildings in the city are found in suburban town centres, and not in the central city. Vancouver is unique in so many ways.
Perhaps this will encourage the idea of a couple of 60+ buildings downtown, as at Burrard and Georgia, .... Brentwood helps break through that "meniscus" of height-limit mindset.
But back to First Baptist thread before the mods get us; the black and white and the wavy design. Looks chic, graceful, bold and elegant. An eyecatcher, esp coming in over Burrard.

Last edited by trofirhen; Nov 1, 2015 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 2:13 PM

Some updated renderings on Bing Thoms Architect's site:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 2:21 PM

Mm Yes!! Striking architectural eye candy. Thank you for these.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 5:12 PM

Wow! Nice, thanks for posting those.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 6:36 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatejet View Post

Some updated renderings on Bing Thoms Architect's site:

Thanks for the new renderings.

Since the developer wanted to build the tower 200 feet taller than depicted and create Vancouver's new tallest at 750 feet (but the city threw a wet blanket over that plan even though it would not have violated any of its precious viewcones), I would be curious to see the above rendering with the building at its full height and thus how Vancouver might have looked, if not for the city.

That said, I would also be curious to see the very original design before the developer proposed 750 feet when it learned city policy for heights along Burrard was in play in the form of the upcoming West End Community Plan.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 6:57 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Pretty sure I've corrected you on this before... this one was never designed as a 750ft Building. A previous design was. It was also not expected to get the go ahead as 3 different heights were done right off the bat. The 750ft one was the ask for the moon knowing you won't get it thus making your second proposal seem much more acceptable.
I preferred the previous design at the same height over this one, this one is exciting in its own right.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 8:16 PM

So many churches on the west side that are chronically underused take a drive around the back streets of Kerrisdale & Point Grey sometime even on a holiday Sunday it's painfully apparent those churchgoers will all be dead in 15 years what will happen to those buildings?

Interesting times ahead....

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 8:53 PM

Have to say, love this one more and more. Very nice.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 9:12 PM

I liked the cities idea have having a small number of select sites for taller buildings. I would love to see an iconic 700' tower smack dab in the middle of Yaletown's boring clone towers.

Skyscrapers make a city more interesting.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 9:29 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post

This one was never designed as a 750ft Building. A previous design was.
That's the design I am referring to; that's the one I would like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post

It was also not expected to get the go ahead. The 750ft one was the ask for the moon knowing you won't get it thus making your second proposal seem much more acceptable.
Exactly.

I think you are confusing the issue of how high this project would have gone in the absence of height restrictions with the issue of how high the developer felt the city would let the project go. I find it far more plausible the 750ft proposal was insincere only in the latter sense.

Because the idea that this project would not have been built to 750ft (or close thereto) had the West End Community Plan actually allowed heights of 750ft seems farfetched. For a prestige project in the hottest condo market in Canada, the idea that a big-time developer like Westbank would not have jumped at greater height and density had the city allowed it seems quite implausible. Indeed, that was the very purpose of imposing the 550ft limit: in its absence, the city knew developers would build higher. Otherwise, there is no point in imposing a limit, is there?

But if you are claiming that Westbank would have forfeited 200ft of extra height (or close thereto) even if the city's West End Community Plan had allowed the extra height, then would you be so kind as to state that claim for the record unambiguously?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
That's the design I am referring to; that's the one I would like to see.

Exactly.

I think you are confusing the issue of how high this project would have gone in the absence of height restrictions with the issue of how high the developer felt the city would let the project go. I find it far more plausible the 750ft proposal was insincere only in the latter sense.

Because the idea that this project would not have been built to 750ft (or close thereto) had the West End Community Plan actually allowed heights of 750ft seems farfetched. For a prestige project in the hottest condo market in Canada, the idea that a big-time developer like Westbank would not have jumped at greater height and density had the city allowed it seems quite implausible. Indeed, that was the very purpose of imposing the 550ft limit: in its absence, the city knew developers would build higher. Otherwise, there is no point in imposing a limit, is there?

But if you are claiming that Westbank would have forfeited the opportunity to build to 750ft (or close thereto) even if the city's West End Community Plan had allowed such height, then would you be so kind as to state that claim for the record unambiguously?
Lord, give it a rest.

It's a great looking building, look forward to seeing it built, but I bet it will be expensive.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
So many churches on the west side that are chronically underused take a drive around the back streets of Kerrisdale & Point Grey sometime even on a holiday Sunday it's painfully apparent those churchgoers will all be dead in 15 years what will happen to those buildings?

I think people will always go to church, even if in smaller numbers. I remember a great church, St. John's Shaughnessy Anglican, where many of the attendees
were young people in their 20s and 30s, as well as older folks, naturally. Faith will always remain among some people.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 1:45 AM

Great stuff and it will look amazing with the neighbouring tower(s) from Nelson Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatejet View Post
Mildly interesting how all the other renderings are based on real photos, but then there is this one with a completely fictional angle and buildings.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post

They'll just get torn down and redeveloped - 2 examples:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=5049

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2015/1...redevelopment/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 8:45 PM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:00 PM

Wonder if this design also exceeded the viewcone limit like that W. Georgia proposal. Hate to see 10 floors lobbed off the top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver