HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Exchange in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 3:10 PM

If you were wondering why it isn't taller, as you can sort of see in the renderings, the lower floors have short floor to ceiling heights to match the existing building.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 3:59 PM

Wow, can we say Vancouver is about to go into an office boom? Or do we need them all to be U/C to claim that?

Either way, this should fit very nicely into the skyline.
What's the expected height? about 400'?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 4:29 PM
scared of rain

Love the renders!

This is one I hope the ADP doesn't fuss with too much. It feels very Frankfurt-esque to me.

If this goes ahead it would be my favorite since WPP.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 7:10 PM
Community Guy

The thing I love about these 300-500k towers in Van is that it while it will continue the crop top skyline, it will create such a wonderfully full block in many parts that will drive a wonderful feeling of density.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I didn't interpret these reports as saying Credit Suisse will be the anchor tenant, but instead Credit Suisse has the deep-pockets financing needed to get it built.

That's really what I was trying to say, but I worded it wrong. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 7:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Super nice looking tower! - Waiting for more news on the project.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 8:18 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Reminder of what it'll be partially covering up from the south - those will be some very urban (southern facing) views from Jameson House
Ahhhh so that's why they made this elevation so fugly.

They didn't want anyone complaining when the next building went up to block our view.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 1:37 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 8:39 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Well an offical application has been submitted, no renders to share yet but here are some of the details.

Quote:
Iredale Group Architecture has applied to the City of Vancouver to rezone 475 Howe Street and 819-829 West Pender Street from DD (Downtown District) to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal includes a 30-storey commercial office building containing a 3-storey commercial/retail podium and seven levels of underground parking. The Class 'A' heritage building at 375 Howe Street will be retained and restored. The proposed building would have a floor space ratio (FSR) of 21.31, a total area of 37,033 square metres (398,625 square feet), and 162 parking stalls.
Things that stand out are the 7 floors of u/g parking but only 162 stalls, has to be a small footprint for the parking levels. The other is the FSR of over 21. That's one of the largest FSRs I've seen in the city, only topped by Jameson and Vancouver's Turn as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Well an offical application has been submitted, no renders to share yet but here are some of the details.

Things that stand out are the 7 floors of u/g parking but only 162 stalls, has to be a small footprint for the parking levels. The other is the FSR of over 21. That's one of the largest FSRs I've seen in the city, only topped by Jameson and Vancouver's Turn as far as I can tell.
I hear the ride could be rough. For example, only 20 feet away from the Jameson, as opposed to the 80 feet standard separation away from a residential building.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I hear the ride could be rough. For example, only 20 feet away from the Jameson, as opposed to the 80 feet standard separation away from a residential building.

Maybe someoneknows: could that stall / stop the construction of it?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:26 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I could stop it, but it can be designed around it as well. It helps that one is an office tower and office hours tend not to interfer as much with the hours people are home and about. I'm sure the design will have implemented methods to mitigate the issues.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I could stop it, but it can be designed around it as well. It helps that one is an office tower and office hours tend not to interfer as much with the hours people are home and about. I'm sure the design will have implemented methods to mitigate the issues.

Thanks for the explanation, jlousa. However I do have a lingering question; how could you (as an individual) stop it?

Nothing personal, just curious. Are you on a permit board, or such?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:41 PM

Quote:

Actually I'm surprised that they could fit more than 20 stalls per floor on such a small site. Maybe robotic parking? The other thing that stands out is the nearly 400,000 square feet... spread out over 30 floors, that's 13,000 square foot floorplates? Isn't the floorplate closer to 8,000sf?

edit: nevermind, i mixed it up with the oxford tower

Last edited by mhy; Oct 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:53 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There was a t missing, It could stop it. I doubt I could stop it, not that I want to anyways.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:03 PM

I think that the 80 ft separation really only applies to downtown south.

Another factor that should come into play is that Jameson House was really built on what should be an office site - and even the parcel to the east will be redeveloped some day (otherwise its construction would have effectively sterilized the adjacent sites' redevelopment potential). Jameson House also has small windows on the south side.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:05 PM

Exactly my feeling, Jameson is built in the heart of the CBD, and the south wall of the Jameson has small windows and is the least dynamic.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think that the 80 ft separation really only applies to downtown south.

Another factor that should come into play is that Jameson House was really built on what should be an office site - and even the parcel to the east will be redeveloped some day (otherwise its construction would have effectively sterilized the adjacent sites' redevelopment potential). Jameson House also has small windows on the south side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Exactly my feeling, Jameson is built in the heart of the CBD, and the south wall of the Jameson has small windows and is the least dynamic.

Hope you're both right ! This is one sleek tower that will really enhance that "big city feeling" of the CBD.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
The Georgia is barely 25 feet from the HSBC building, and has a nearly-full curtain wall facing that side

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
See ya down under, mates

I stayed in a hotel in Seattle with floor to ceiling windows about 30 feet from a busy office building with floor to ceiling windows. It makes you keep your blinds closed, for sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver