HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Drum Condominiums | ? m | 6 fl | Proposed

Here's a rendering of the proposed six-storey Drum condominiums on Rainnie Drive:

Presumably more information will be up on the HRM website soon since this is going through HRM by Design.

Last edited by someone123; Aug 5, 2023 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:28 AM

The drawing doesn't look too bad - I like the 'bulb' shape at the front - but I'd rather one bank of continuous windows (rather than a whole bunch of smaller ones). But without seeing an internal layout, there may be a reason for it. Where on Rainnie is this going?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:50 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's the "flatiron" lot where Rainnie Drive and Cogswell converge -- a very prominent lot that has seen a few similar proposals over the years.

Here's an old rendering from another proposal in 2005:

The area around the Commons is really coming together with lots of new buildings.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's the "flatiron" lot where Rainnie Drive and Cogswell converge -- a very prominent lot that has seen a few similar proposals over the years.

The area around the Commons is really coming together with lots of new buildings.
Oh okay - the triangle lot behind the Pool.
Isn't the second picture the Timikolis project that got torpedoed after his development just by the commons bombed?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 8:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yep, that's the one. I like the new design more.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 12:03 PM
Salty Town

This is shaping up to be a very cheap looking building. The precast panels on the lower level and the x out design on the out of sync bulb don't do the site justice.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 12:52 PM

What's with the creepy old man in the rendering?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:39 PM

Posted by Jonovision in general updates and news thread :

AllNS was reporting today that Danny Chedraw is ready to start construction on a 6 storey condo building on the triangle piece of land beside the citadel adjacent to the commons. He is waiting for HRM By Design approval and if all goes well will start construction in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:22 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
This is shaping up to be a very cheap looking building. The precast panels on the lower level and the x out design on the out of sync bulb don't do the site justice.
in AllNS he claims it will use brick and real stone, with natural gas heating and rain water collection for grey water usage.

remains to be seen though in the more detailed renderings how much stone etc actually gets used relative to precast.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:27 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
What's with the creepy old man in the rendering?
I thought the same exact thing... why on earth would they use that guy.

This should be 4-5 floors taller.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:32 PM
Salty Town

The previous design was much better plus it was 9fl. Thanks to the STV crowd the first design was axed now they can wear it.

The previous design looked like a downtown building and this one looks like Bedford or Portland Hills.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:00 PM

Quote:
The previous design was much better plus it was 9fl. Thanks to the STV crowd the first design was axed now they can wear it.

The previous design looked like a downtown building and this one looks like Bedford or Portland Hills.
agreed, the current proposal looks like garbage.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They say brick and stone but it may be bad reporting or some kind of mix up. My guess is the developer says "it'll be just like sandstone!" and that becomes "stone", although who knows what happened in this case. That is an unlikely building material.

It's possible that HbD will improve upon this design. To be attractive I think it needs a more open ground floor level (no recessed lobby -- looks like there's no commercial, just ground floor condos). The proportions of the circular tower component also look off to me and I doubt the X pattern will come out well, though if it's brick it could be okay.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 10:06 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
They say brick and stone but it may be bad reporting or some kind of mix up. My guess is the developer says "it'll be just like sandstone!" and that becomes "stone", although who knows what happened in this case. That is an unlikely building material.

It's possible that HbD will improve upon this design. To be attractive I think it needs a more open ground floor level (no recessed lobby -- looks like there's no commercial, just ground floor condos). The proportions of the circular tower component also look off to me and I doubt the X pattern will come out well, though if it's brick it could be okay.
Even though this will go through the HxD "design review committe" changes are unlikely. The design review committee doesn't actually review the design from an aesthetics perspective. We have done more on this thread then they will do. This design is typical of what has been slipping throught he cracks for years in HFX. For this location I would give this design a ZERO.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 10:41 PM

This condo is crud.
On top of the dislikes previously mentioned by others, I dislike the pillars below the circular 'tower'.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUB View Post
This condo is crud.
On top of the dislikes previously mentioned by others, I dislike the pillars below the circular 'tower'.
You know the pillars will be exposed concrete with air pockets and bits of concrete form stuck in the unfinished mess for years. This building needs a 100% redesign.......who is the architect? I think we should start sending links to this forum to architects who subscribe this this sort of demolishing of the urban landscape.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 1:56 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:

Too bad this wasn't built. It would have maintained the "older" feel of Halifax but added needed population downtown.
I'm a drummer but I do not like the new design at all. Reminds me of the Faulkland development.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=139986&page=5

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:00 AM

Quote:
You know the pillars will be exposed concrete with air pockets and bits of concrete form stuck in the unfinished mess for years. This building needs a 100% redesign.......who is the architect? I think we should start sending links to this forum to architects who subscribe this this sort of demolishing of the urban landscape.
I think I read it was Kassner Goodspeed. There was a reference to Paul Goodspeed in the allnovascotia article.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is similar to the Lexington, another Kassner-Goodspeed project.

In spite of the criticisms I do think it will be good for the area since it is much better than a decades-old empty lot. Increasing the population density in the core is very important.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:07 AM

Sign erected on site. Notice the abscense of a creepy old man in the rendering;

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth