HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
What's the total size and view-cone status of their downtown site? Could be worth a pretty penny, though if a purchaser is forced to retain some of the heritage facade that could trump the value.
Not sure, but they would be required to have some health care facility left on the site per the agreement with the sisters of Providence. Most likely an urgent care center (mini-ER), and some of the other clinics like HIV/AIDS. But nothing long term, no radiology, operating rooms, birthing, etc.

That said, there's plenty of room to demo and sell some of the add-ons from the 60s and 70s. It could help finance the new building for sure.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
No, no no!

Why on Earth would you move a hospital out of the downtown core where it will be required in the event of a major disaster, such as an earthquake? And to build it on landfill in an old swamp? There's a bright idea.

Gregor's viaduct demo is a done deal so getting to this location from downtown will be a nightmare by road especially on event nights. Maybe the paramedics can get bike carriers.

It all boils down to a real estate play, like everything else in Vancouver. God this city is pathetic sometimes.
1. No plan exists to move everything off that site.

2. St. Paul's will be one of the first buildings to fall in an earthquake.

3. Rants about Gregor are meaningless in this thread.

4. The health authority is paying $800k/yr in taxes on the False Creek Flats land. This hospital makes perfect sense.

Once again you are blindly against something you have no clue about.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
What's the total size and view-cone status of their downtown site? Could be worth a pretty penny, though if a purchaser is forced to retain some of the heritage facade that could trump the value.
West End Community Plan allows up to 550 ft (subject to view cones).

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...unity-plan.pdf

View cones map - looks to be a few over the site (plus QE view cone):

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/guidelines/V003.pdf

Here's B1:

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...ewcones/b1.htm

and C1:

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...ewcones/c1.htm

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...cones/1211.htm

12.1.2:

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...cones/1212.htm

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:39 PM

^^ Funny how the views of clouds and featureless blue-gray blobs (no snow these days) are protected in those view cones. Are they really that gorgeous?

With that said, the new campus at the Main Street Terminal area is gorgeous. We need this kind of capital development in this city. St. Paul's should be retained with services reduced.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
1. No plan exists to move everything off that site.

2. St. Paul's will be one of the first buildings to fall in an earthquake.

3. Rants about Gregor are meaningless in this thread.

4. The health authority is paying $800k/yr in taxes on the False Creek Flats land. This hospital makes perfect sense.

Once again you are blindly against something you have no clue about.
I assure you I have quite a clue about it. If the health authority is stupidly paying taxes on the False Creek land then they should sell it. Apparently Translink isn't the only clueless gov't entity when it comes to blowing money on real estate transactions.

Apparently your little bromance on Gregor blinds you to the fact that his viaduct removal plan will make accessing any False Creek Flats site more difficult.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 4:38 AM

Quote:
I assure you I have quite a clue about it. If the health authority is stupidly paying taxes on the False Creek land then they should sell it. Apparently Translink isn't the only clueless gov't entity when it comes to blowing money on real estate transactions.
Yes, short term thinking all the way! Good job!

Quote:
Apparently your little bromance on Gregor blinds you to the fact that his viaduct removal plan will make accessing any False Creek Flats site more difficult.
Without seeing the replacement plan, you can't say anything for sure.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 4:46 AM

It makes me smirk that the only two parcels of land that easily lend themselves to be redeveloped along that stretch fall juuuuuust outside of the 550 feet allowance.

It is also funny that even outside of the viewcones potential buildings are still capped at 550 feet along that stretch.

Seriously, would allowing a few towers between 600 and 700 feet really be that terrible of a thing?

That is all the Vancouver skyline really needs, is just a couple towers between 650 and 750 feet. We don't need any supertalls (300m plus), but a couple towers between 200 and 250 meters would be fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 6:08 AM

Quote:

I am sure that if this project moves forward fast enough then it will stop the plans to remove the viaduct in their tracks. Public safety comes first. This is actually a interesting development. I predict it moves forward fast enough to stop the removal of the viaducts.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 6:28 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Let's keep all further viewcone / height limit griping to the viewcone thread please.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:28 AM

This new hospital campus looks amazing. And I'm also all for having the current St. Paul's as a hospital that functions similarly to the UBC hospital. Except the UBC Urgent Care center (their version of emergency room) is only open from like 8am-10pm. I strongly believe there should be 24/7 emergency downtown. Although it could be argued that the new campus is close enough to downtown to not warrant another facility.

I'm extremely interested to see how this all turns out. For anyone that's ever been in St. Paul's, it is really old and also pretty poorly laid out in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdFan View Post
This new hospital campus looks amazing. And I'm also all for having the current St. Paul's as a hospital that functions similarly to the UBC hospital. Except the UBC Urgent Care center (their version of emergency room) is only open from like 8am-10pm. I strongly believe there should be 24/7 emergency downtown. Although it could be argued that the new campus is close enough to downtown to not warrant another facility.

I'm extremely interested to see how this all turns out. For anyone that's ever been in St. Paul's, it is really old and also pretty poorly laid out in my opinion.

I have a feeling if it goes ahead then they will keep the viaducts in tact as they are. I can't see them building the hospital and then removing them, causing ambulances to get stuck in gridlock to get to the false creek hospital site. With the Viaducts they have a quick escape from downtown.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:24 PM

Early leak of the plan from Vancouver Sun: selling existing land for $500M and moving to False Creek Flats. no services remaining on the old land.

I can't believe this will fly. New hospital opening in 2021-22.

Official announcement at 9am.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 4:35 PM

This is fantastic news.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 4:45 PM

I am fine with them moving the hospital and redeveloping the old site, but please god keep the heritage structure that is there!

The new plan looks beautiful, the logic of a hospital on a flood plain in a major earthquake zone baffles a bit, but I am sure they know what they're doing....

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 4:52 PM

I think it's a great idea, but certainly leaving the original heritage site as an urgent care centre is a no-brainer. Maybe that's the plan in their back pocket anyway.

I don't like how this is characterized as moving the hospital "out of downtown". Sure, if you draw artificial lines, it's not on the peninsula but it's not a true picture of what is happening.

This facility will enliven that area in a great way. Big step forward for Vancouver.

The lack of accessibility is a joke. It's right on a skytrain line! I'd argue easier access for vehicles with or without the viaducts. St. Paul's only has one main entrance on Burrard, which can be gridlocked. This new facility will have access from multiple sides.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:26 PM
life in the present

So many great things about this proposal!! Some already mentioned.

*long, long overdue

*existing heritage building is a seismic and fire disaster waiting to happen and is presently crumbling

*site is the more central than current site, downtown is galloping east, this is just blocks from Yaletown, OV, Mt. Pleasant, Gastown, Strathcona, False Creek North, all growth areas

*far more accessible than current site for cars, ambulances, hospital transfers, not to mention, Skytrain

*from scratch facilities designed to meet present and future needs with ample room to expand

*away from Downtown gridlock

*ample parking and drop-off zones

*sale of existing site will pay for 1/3 of the project

This can't happen soon enough!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:38 PM
See ya down under, mates

Providence claims the dtes is already their main source of ambulance patients

Looking forward to this development and what it does for the area. RIP my birthplace

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
RIP my birthplace
It would be cool if they are dead set determined on demolishing the old site, to let people have a brick of the old building.

Could help with fundraising, a lot of people born there would be happy to buy a piece of history (Vancouver's and their own)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:11 PM
ON3P Skis

It is a little disappointing that an Urgent Care Centre won't remain on-site on Burrard, but I suppose it makes sense. There is only so much money to go around. With more than 50% of pick-ups on the DTES, this location seems to make more sense. IF the Georgia Viaduct remains in-place then the 20% or so of pick-ups in the City Centre will be just as easily served. Without the viaducts though? I'm not so sure.

Presumably any sort of re-development of St. Pauls would require the $80M to be spent on seismic upgrading of the Heritage Building, but paid by a private developer who purchases the site. From the looks of it (eyeballing the Google Earth image) it appears than at least 50% of the current St. Paul's site should be available for complete redevelopment. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 7:31 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver