HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 9:19 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
^ he's in his late-80's isn't he? i'm amazed that he hasn't gone senile already (though he might have, he said there was a need for a lot of parking for the new Waterfront Stadium a few years ago during those public meetings). however, gotta give him a pat on the back for the Ritz Carlton. that's one design i would never ever want to see changed.
I doubt he did very much of the "design work" he has others at his firm who are young and can still function, walk, eat, pee on their own, etc.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 8:51 PM

I agree that Robson Square is dysfunctional. Even the interior spaces (law courts registry, law library) are incredibly "bunker-ish". It's one of the only buildings in the City with a full block floorplate (actually 2 separate blocks). Its only appeal is the green roof and the atrium. The elevated and the sunken plazas have done no better or worse that other similar plazas in the City. (i.e. the unused rooftop plaza at Vancouver Centre above the current London Drugs was removed maybe 5 years ago with renovations to the former Vancouver Centre Theatres)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:31 PM
loafing in lotusland

There was a plaza up there (above London drugs)?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
There was a plaza up there (above London drugs)?
The stairs providing access to the top level and the planters and benches were removed during the renovation. This pic was taken before the renos - now it's just a barren rooftop

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:38 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Well Arthur Erickson's works are more of an idealistic idea. His concept in the SFU and Robson Plaza (I think) is that it should create more discussion, talks, a more community-like gathering... but in-reality, it doesn't really turn out that way.

Bing-Thom has a much more different approach to this. For instance, their SFU campus at Surrey included those "sunken study areas" which are suppose to encourage productivity and discussion. And those study areas are very similar to Erikson's concepts, except done in a more "fresh/modern" way. Now I'm not at university yet, nor do I live near Surrey, so I'm not sure if that's actually working or are they even used.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 1:47 AM

In many respects it doesn't need to be so complex. At school today the facilities people put out folding tables and chairs in the north main concourse of the AQ for Clubs Days this week. Before they were done most of the tables were occupied by people on laptops, eating lunch, conversing, and bringing more life to the monolithic hallway than normal. The study nooks and such are hidden from the main concourse and are too dim and uncomfortable to be useful much of the time. SFU just can't seem to get the "soft scaping" right. The landscaping is fine, same with the outdoor hardscaping, but the experience of people's bums in the built environment seem to have been the last thing on Erickson's mind when he designed the place. I still like it though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 2:10 AM

I could see this project evolving into tall wooden masts with giant fabric sails to provide shelter during the winter months and removed (or replaced with a more transparent fabric for some shade) for the summer months....

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

that wouldn't be a bad idea either... making a semi Canada Place yet showcasing BC's amazing wood - or perhaps what pine beetle wood can turn out to be (but that's kind of like the olympic skating rink)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I could see this project evolving into tall wooden masts with giant fabric sails to provide shelter during the winter months and removed (or replaced with a more transparent fabric for some shade) for the summer months....
i'd be interested to see how giant fabric sails would fare on a night like tonight!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
i'd be interested to see how giant fabric sails would fare on a night like tonight!
all we need is a thousand-foot tall Mary Poppins, everything would come clear after that.

i wonder how BC Place and Canada Place are holding up tonight.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:01 AM

Meet the $40-million giant clam of wood and glass
Plans for Robson Square include a new Asia-Pacific Centre and a reopened skating rink

Miro Cernetig, Vancouver Sun
Published: Saturday, January 19, 2008

So here's the latest on the clam, that giant roof envisioned for downtown Vancouver.

The B.C. government is still dreaming of creating a massive roof -- price-tag in the neighbourhood of $40 million -- to arch over Robson Square. It believes we need a place to gather out of the rain for festivals and cultural events. (they mean protests don't they? -_-)

But the clam's going to be made of glass and high-tech wood. And it won't be going up until after the 2010 Olympic Games.

That's the news that came out of a tour of Robson Square on Friday with Economic Development Minister Colin Hansen, who had a half-dozen government officials and architect Clive Grout in tow.

The structure, which would rise 10 to 15 metres above Robson Street, is seen as a way to create a civic gathering spot in the downtown. It is also going to include a reopening and expansion of the skating rink, which has been closed for years, but is being refurbished with with the help of General Electric.

The plans, part of which you will see above, do involve a major structural revision to Robson Square, designed by Vancouver's renowned architect Arthur Erickson. In addition to the massive roof, which is to be partially made of a wooden lattice to highlight the utility of B.C. forest products, we will see the creation of an Asia-Pacific centre on the square. It's meant to emphasize the province's commitment to fostering trade and cultural ties with Asia.

As the facelift goes ahead, there will also be a replanting of the garden. Some of the trees are too big, the officials said, and need to be replaced. Some of the trees, in fact, wouldn't fit under the roof that's being talked about.

Although Erickson has said he has had minimal involvement with the revamping of his creation, both Hansen and Grout said they will listen closely to the octogenarian to ensure one of Canada's great pieces of architecture isn't compromised.

"I will work very closely with Arthur," promised Grout.

In the run-up to the Olympics, the public can expect to see a major refurbishing of Robson Square, said Hansen. Even with the erection of the roof put off, leaky foundations and cracked concrete need to be fixed by 2010.

The idea, Hansen said, is to be able to finish refurbishment work before the Games, have the skating rink in operation and create an Asia-Pacific centre that leaves no doubt the province has set its sights on the other side of the Pacific.

When -- or if -- the roof goes up, Hansen said it might even help with global warming. Since it's glass, he said it might even be a source of solar power.

mcernetig@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

I'm not so sure about it now...only 10-15 metres tall? That's only 30-50 feet??? There certainly is a need to revive Robson Square, but i'm not quite sure if this is it....but then again, we need renderings to actually see what is planned!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:59 PM
Bridge Walker!

There actually was a rendering in the print copy of the Sun today. Although I would really rather see a picture of a model, I'm thinking that I could support this idea.

According to the article the roof will be made of wood and glass. It actually could be quite attractive.

Now that it's been put off 'til after 2010 I'm rather doubtful it will actually be built. Let's face it, this puppy's got a ways to go to win the hearts and minds of the early detractors.

We'll see.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 8:26 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
In many respects it doesn't need to be so complex. At school today the facilities people put out folding tables and chairs in the north main concourse of the AQ for Clubs Days this week. Before they were done most of the tables were occupied by people on laptops, eating lunch, conversing, and bringing more life to the monolithic hallway than normal. The study nooks and such are hidden from the main concourse and are too dim and uncomfortable to be useful much of the time. SFU just can't seem to get the "soft scaping" right. The landscaping is fine, same with the outdoor hardscaping, but the experience of people's bums in the built environment seem to have been the last thing on Erickson's mind when he designed the place. I still like it though.
and therein lies the problem with far far too many architects and designers. Sometimes the best designs are the ones people use the most...

NYC is a great example of this for the city created a program a few years ago to provide folding chairs and tables to parks, squares, and at the base of building arcades to promote what i like to call "spontaneous life". It has worked so well they plan to do more of it...and i know many cities in europe that do the same thing.

I wish Canadian cities did more of this, but i would bet they would be vandalized, stolen, or become hangouts for the wrong intent.

god we have so much to learn here.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 8:44 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Arrow Renderings!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 8:48 PM

looks like the richmond oval has moved downtown

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 8:50 PM
Community Guy

40mill for that...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:15 PM
Cheers!

I like this project. Maybe people will actually use the square once it's complete. The expansion of the skating rink is a must if they use it again, as the current size is pretty pathetic. 40 million doesn't seem that shocking.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:20 PM

Now that I have a concept for the scale and form, I too find I like it.

In my head I was evisioning something like the SFU glass and wood spaceframe above the convocation mall writ large above all of robson square, including the VAG steps and the Lawcourt stairs, etc. Basically a giant wood roof for those two city blocks.

The space this roof, I don't see the resemblance to a clamshell, will occupy is a void space that doesn't really work right now. I hope while they are at it that they demo the above-grade garden across from the VAG steps.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:32 PM

sort of like how seattle has that covered street - but better

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 10:05 PM

after seeing the diagrams, i actually quite like it. I don't understand why after 2010 though....we have an opportunity to show the world something very unique here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver