HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 6:06 AM

wow....lots of NIMBY's or people that have no idea what they're talking about during that entire hour. There was even one guy that was against immigration!!! He thinks it's why Canada/BC/Vancouver is overpopulated!!! And that it was city council's responsibility top stop it!!! (of course, we're only the second largest country in the world with an average population density of 3.2 per square kilometre) BTW, he was old...probably senile.

Only one comment was useful....and I believe it was Gordon Price.....5-minute speech and a whopping 10-minutes of questions from the councillors. I/They loved him.

I think it was David Cadman that lashed out at Sullivan for ignoring the transit options alternative in the discussions.

The consultations resume on Monday, March 3, 2008 @ 6 pm

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 6:48 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I was on a mac so I couldn't watch the video... (argh) what was the transportation alternative thing about?

Btw here's the Facebook group for EcoDensity: http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7420537241

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I was on a mac so I couldn't watch the video... (argh) what was the transportation alternative thing about?

Btw here's the Facebook group for EcoDensity: http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7420537241
The stream opened fine in WMP 9 for me (nothing there anymore though).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 7:03 AM

i saw some guy on the news last week - he was standing in china town and he points to the downtown highrises and looks back at china town and says NO we do not want "That" here - referring to the downtown highrises

just plain old weird

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i saw some guy on the news last week - he was standing in china town and he points to the downtown highrises and looks back at china town and says NO we do not want "That" here - referring to the downtown highrises

just plain old weird
Well, I understand Chinatown. It's just like Gastown, historical value that we need to protect. Perhaps, mid and low-rises?

But I don't understand the argument against the Downtown Eastside. Downtown needs to expand, and this is where towers should go...or at least at a few dozen chosen sites by the city. It's an expansion of Downtown.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 7:14 AM

he seemed antihighrises anywhere

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 8:08 AM
Vancouver Moderator

The only thing I don't agree with EcoDensity is that it does not offer any details about preserving sites such as Chinatown and Gastown. I mean, Vancouver rejected the highway expansion in downtown (which destroys Gastown and Chinatown) so we can't really let a project destroy what we protected earlier...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
But I don't understand the argument against the Downtown Eastside. Downtown needs to expand, and this is where towers should go...or at least at a few dozen chosen sites by the city. It's an expansion of Downtown.
Half a dozen towers along Hastings between Abbott and Carrall would be a nice start... and, yes these developments would probably block some of my view to the south... but it would be worth it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 10:25 PM

some people are just dumb...

im pretty sure that anti immigration guy was the dude i got stuck with in my group during the vpsn ecodensity meeting. he rambled about that for a while but i shot him down. turns out he was born in northern ontario, so technically he is an immigrant to our city... also he refused to acknoledge that we are on coast salish land... he was rambling about slavery or something.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 11:24 PM

Videos of the Ecodensity meetings have been posted online:

FIRST NIGHT - Feb. 26:
http://cityofvan-as1.insinc.com/ibc/...915wv150en,001

SECOND NIGHT - Feb. 27:
http://cityofvan-as1.insinc.com/ibc/...915wv150en,001
The last two speakers on the 27th were Gordon Price (great presentation) and the senile anti-immigration guy. The second speaker is architect Peter Busby, another great presentation.

Next meeting: tomorrow night at 6 pm.

Last edited by mr.x; Mar 2, 2008 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 12:11 AM
Vancouver Moderator

That guy is racist I swear... pointing to immigration during the 1900s... (chinese)... he is racist!

Stupid people stupid people...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 12:17 AM

OMG....you guys have to watch 1:51:00 of night two!!!! senile old lady on the attack!

I would imagine that's what those poor city councillors in North Vancouver had to cope with for Site 8, only that there were 200 many more of them!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 1:19 AM

You have to take what old people say with a grain of salt as well as some sympathy. The country they grew up in has rapidly changed into something quite different. I'm not saying that that change is a bad thing. It is just a very large change, and the fact that some older people have nostalgic feelings for the city they once knew is not exactly surprising. Anyone of any race, in any country would succumb to the same human feelings. So be a bit less judgemental of these people and perhaps imagine your grandparents in their place. If you are an immigrant yourself, imagine the reaction of people in the country you came from if the demographics had changed to the same degree there. Once again, I am not saying that change is bad, just that that kind of change can radically alter what one's sense of "home" was. I'm sure we all know that people have sensitivities on issues related to "home". Whether they be irrational or not, they are powerful, emotional cues.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 5:36 PM

^Couldent of said it any better, I cant think of many countries in the world where the population wouldn't rebel against this much change and immigration in such a short period of time. Perosnally I dont mind it though we are far from being abel to determine if this is a success, im a immigrant anyways my self. Also what you will notice is that many of the Canadian born people are leaving Vancouver to places like Mission, Vancouver island, Chiliwack and the interior and there is definitely a case of segregation between all the different groups of people in our multi cultural city. Call it what you want but we all know the reasons behind these things. In anycase i would have to agree that the level of immigration is to much and needs to slow down to force them to assimilate(worked for me since i didnt have a half a million of my nationals living around me), though something tells me thats its a bit to late now. In any case i plan on leaving this country in the not to distant future anyways so im not loosing any sleep over it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 5:39 PM

No place is perfect and you'll get some form of racism in most places, but Vancouver (and Canada) are some of the least racist places on the planet. I would imagine there would be similar "racist" murmurings if Seoul, Shanghai or Tokyo became 20% caucasian over 25 years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 9:01 PM

Welcome to Hongcouver!
Bienvenue a Hongcouver!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 10:03 PM

Had time to watch the video today and that old lady on the second video was hilarious. I mean common she will probably be dead within the next ten years and if not dead then delusional and unaware of reality. She will never be around to see the changes so why does she care, let the younger people who will actually live with the changes make the decisions...butt out and realize your future is long behind you, live out your life and let people who actually still have a future on this rock make decisions that they will have to actually live with instead of just fertilizing a patch of grass in one of our sprawling waste of space cemeteries with out having to endure the consequences or rewards of their decisions like you will be doing pretty darn soon. Just my two cents. Im not trying to be rude, just being realistic.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 10:28 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I agree she was old and rambling, but the fact that it won't affect her shouldn't matter. That's like saying why should I care for global warming it won't affect me. The decisions will affect her children, grandchildren etc, so let her have her say.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 11:36 PM

Like anyone, she has the right to have her say....but whether her opinions have any merit is a completely different thing. I find it hillarious how it takes 10 secs for her to get to the podium, and then she spends 2 minutes rambling about the timekeeper and how she can't hear anything.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:13 AM

EcoDensity concept gets public's attention

Frances Bula
Vancouver Sun

Sunday, March 02, 2008

VANCOUVER - EcoDensity has emerged as the surprise hot-policy topic of Vancouver, with a second week of public meetings kicking off today to accommodate the 160-plus people who want to speak to council to support it or oppose it.

It's not what anyone could have predicted when it was announced two years ago by Mayor Sam Sullivan at the World Urban Forum as a vague but catchily named idea aimed at making Vancouver a more sustainable city.

Some, like Coalition of Progressive Electors Coun. David Cadman, say Sullivan's concept is a bad publicity stunt that has done little more than reawaken anti-developer resentment that had disappeared for a decade.

Others, including Sullivan's one-time opponent Jim Green, say that even if it's a flawed process, the EcoDensity Charter - done right - has the potential to create a road map for a better and more environmental city.

But no one disagrees that it has ignited a passionate debate.

Among the dozens of speakers are planners, architects, regular residents, former mayor and premier Mike Harcourt, environmental groups, academics, Downtown Eastside activists, developers, resident associations, business groups and you name it.

Non-Partisan Association Coun. Suzanne Anton, who has championed the idea, says the turnout "is a testament to the city's interest in the issue."

She insists that most of that interest is positive and describes the opposition as mainly "a minority" who are part of a predictable group opposed for partisan reasons.

Anton is adamant that, even in her west-side Kerrisdale neighbourhood that used to be a bastion of anti-density sentiment, people are asking her daily when it's going to go through so they can start building laneway cottages - one of the ideas that's been talked about a lot as a quick and easy first step for EcoDensity.

But those on the other side say the poorly defined and density-first focus of EcoDensity has actually managed to bring together opponents, and lots of them, from every neighbourhood in the city.

The Group of Neighbourhoods, headed by longtime COPE activist Mel Lehan, has representatives from 30 resident groups who represent every part of Vancouver.

Cadman said that's a shame.

"You've now got people who are antagonistic to developers where before you had communities working things through. We've now created a divide where none existed or needed to exist. The mayor has actually put out a disuniter between the community and the developers."

Certainly, dozens of the speakers will be emphasizing their fears that EcoDensity will just mean having density shoved into their neighbourhoods without any real efforts to make those neighbourhoods sustainable by providing services, transit, or parks.

Cadman says that's understandable, given that the EcoDensity charter doesn't seem to have any guarantees that sustainability or community services will be as important as density.

People like Green or Cheeying Ho from the environmental group Smart Growth say they understand why people in the community are nervous and their fears need to be addressed.

But they're supporting EcoDensity anyway because there's so much that is valuable to be gained from it.

"They have legitimate concerns that are very real," says Green. "And I don't think [the EcoDensity process] has been handled correctly and I don't think people trust the NPA."

In spite of that, says Green, he's supporting the charter and even its most controversial amendment, the one that Anton introduced to consider allowing extra density in the city's historic districts of Gastown, Chinatown and the Downtown Eastside.

Green said that kind of policy will help save those districts, by giving the city a tool to get community services from developers in exchange for extra density.

Green is working with at least two consultants in the Downtown Eastside on projects that involve having the city grant extra density in exchange for social housing.

He said he sees the Woodward's project he championed, which includes private and social housing, community non-profits and a university arts centre, as a "first-stage EcoDensity" project.

"All of us will find aspects in this concept that are contrary to our vision of Vancouver's future. And there are elements that we can all endorse."

fbula@png.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...0a2cdc&k=78801

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues