HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:39 PM

This is a small scale cookie-cutter hotel made for the suburbs, it was not designed for its surroundings or to be part of an urban form. I'm not sure what people are expecting. There is no deck going on the 2nd floor.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 11:25 AM

Do we know where Carrabba's will be located in the hotel? I assume it will be in the NW corner of the building at the corner of Canada and Main?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 11:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDowntown View Post
Do we know where Carrabba's will be located in the hotel? I assume it will be in the NW corner of the building at the corner of Canada and Main?
If you look just to the right of the canopied entrance to the hotel, you can see a second outside entrance, which will be for Carrabba's.

If you look further to the right, you can see a small area enclosed by short brick faced pillars, which I believe will be for an outdoor patio.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:24 PM

The picture on their site also shows an outdoor patio on the corner closest to Main Street. Although this could have been just a preliminary rendering. Still would have been nice to have that rooftop patio.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The picture on their site also shows an outdoor patio on the corner closest to Main Street. Although this could have been just a preliminary rendering.
Well, the photo does show a second area to the left of the canopied entrance, also enclosed by those bricked pillars - perhaps a second patio for the lobby coffee shop??

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, the photo does show a second area to the left of the canopied entrance, also enclosed by those bricked pillars - perhaps a second patio for the lobby coffee shop??
Since it's a Corey-Craig property, you'd think they'd have some type of Tim Horton's as part of the project. I don't think that a lobby coffee shop with patio would be in competition with Carrabba's, so that could be the plan.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are a couple of new photos of the Hyatt Place Hotel (yes, I made triple sure that I had the name right).

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Here are a couple of new photos of the Hyatt Place Hotel (yes, I made triple sure that I had the name right).

The more I look at it, the more I think it should have been taller. Maybe they thought that the market wasn't there to build bigger.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 12:47 PM

Major sidewalk reconstruction is happening along Main Street in front of the building. I also noticed when I looked through the windows that the ground floor on the east end is finally getting done. All the equipment and staging that was in there is now gone.

Originally there was supposed to be ground floor retail as part of this project, but I don't see any entrances off of Main Street along the north side of the building. I would have thought that because of the visibility and access along Main Street, that it would have been the most logical location for retail.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 5:44 PM

Yesterday & today they have been pouring concrete on the Canada Street side of the hotel building. There have been several cement trucks making deliveries to the site.
Not sure how close they are to completion, but they originally said the opening was to be early 2020.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 6:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Not sure how close they are to completion, but they originally said the opening was to be early 2020.
Given the current COVID crisis, there's really no rush. The hotel will be nearly empty for the first 4-6 months anyway. I wonder if Carrabba's will be opening on time, or if the opening will be deferred?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Given the current COVID crisis, there's really no rush. The hotel will be nearly empty for the first 4-6 months anyway. I wonder if Carrabba's will be opening on time, or if the opening will be deferred?
True. They'll miss their first summer tourist season anyway because of the virus. It'll be nice when this is no longer a construction site though. Hopefully the idea of stay-cations will catch on and they'll get some business. I imagine Carrabba's will be busy when it opens. Even though there'll be fewer tables.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 12:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hyatt Place Hotel - current status:

The exterior is virtually complete, and, as you can see, they are busily working on the walkways and plaza areas on the property.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:19 PM

Driving by the site last night there were workers cutting/laying bricks in front of the building. That was at 7:00 PM. Seems like they're pushing to get things done now that travel restrictions have loosened up a bit.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 2:32 PM

A different view looking south west.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 3:19 PM

The old bus terminal looks so awful in that shot, what a great location for a future development though. Would love to see something with mixed residential/retail there.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 3:34 PM

that Crown Plaza needs a whole redo.. it looks like a prison. ... maybe some dark glass would spruce it up. Also, totally agree with the bus terminal.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agree regarding the old bus station and the Crowne Plaza, but that's all up to the Aquillini's now. I don't think they have any real plans for the development of this block. I had high hopes when they first purchased this entire block but, this was about 10 years ago now, and not much has happened since that time. They have renovated the Crowne Plaza nicely on the inside, but the hotel from the outside certainly looks very dated.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that they have essentially completed landscaping around the Hyatt Place. Virtually no grass, but some flowers, shrubs and a couple of lonely trees.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Agree regarding the old bus station and the Crowne Plaza, but that's all up to the Aquillini's now. I don't think they have any real plans for the development of this block. I had high hopes when they first purchased this entire block but, this was about 10 years ago now, and not much has happened since that time. They have renovated the Crowne Plaza nicely on the inside, but the hotel from the outside certainly looks very dated.
Yeah I agree, I don't think Moncton is on Aquilini Group's radar at this time. Every so often I go on their site to look around. They've done some really nice high end developments in B.C. It would be great to see them make a commitment to Moncton. They are more than capable of transforming that entire block.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces