HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 10:43 PM

Shenzhen Skyscraper Starts Inexplicably Shaking

Built with Love.

Panic as 300-metre-high skyscraper wobbles in China
SEG Plaza in Shenzhen, one of country’s tallest buildings, evacuated after it inexplicably starts shaking
Agence France-Presse
Tue 18 May 2021 18.19

One of China’s tallest skyscrapers was evacuated on Tuesday after it began to shake, sending panicked shoppers scampering to safety.

The near 300 metre (980ft) high SEG Plaza in Shenzhen, southern China, inexplicably began to shake at around 1pm, prompting an evacuation of people inside while pedestrians looked on open-mouthed.

The building was closed by 2.40pm, according to local media reports.

Completed in 2000, the tower is home to a major electronics market as well as various offices in the centre of one of China’s fastest-growing cities.

Officials are investigating what caused the tower in the city’s Futian district to wobble, according to a post on the Twitter-like Weibo platform.

“After checking and analysing the data of various earthquake monitoring stations across the city, there was no earthquake in Shenzhen today,” the statement said.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...bbles-in-china

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:13 AM
Meh

Yeah, that's weird. Not sure what to make of that. You can actually see the antennas wiggle in this clip.

Video Link

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:26 PM
Pay it Forward

Panic in China as 980ft skyscraper mysteriously begins to shake despite NO earthquake

This reminds of Millennium Tower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Panic in China as 980ft skyscraper mysteriously begins to shake despite NO earthquakes in the area - sending pedestrians fleeing

By Jack Newman For Mailonline
12:14 18 May 2021, updated 10:41 19 May 2021

One of China's tallest skyscrapers has been evacuated after it mysteriously started to shake, sending panicked shoppers running to safety.

The 980ft SEG Plaza started swaying at 1pm on Tuesday in the southern city of Shenzhen, causing a mass exit from the building.

No earthquakes have been recorded and authorities remain baffled as to what caused the motion.

The 79-storey building was sealed shut as of 2:40pm, according to local media reports.

Completed in 2000, the tower is home to a major electronics market as well as various offices in the downtown of one of China's fastest-growing cities.

Emergency management officials are investigating what caused the tower in Shenzhen's Futian district to wobble, according to a post on the Twitter-like Weibo platform.

One theory shared by Lu Jianxin, a chief engineer at China Construction Science and Industry Corp, posits that the rare phenomenon was caused by mechanical resonance, which occurs when a structure's natural oscillations time up with an external force.

He told the Shenzhen Special Zone Daily: 'If there was no earthquake today, it would be unusual for SEG Plaza to have such a situation.

'Judging from the currently available information, this could be an accidental frequency coincidence, that is, resonance.'

The local weather report showed a wind speed of 27mph at the time which should not have caused such an issue for the building.

'After checking and analysing the data of various earthquake monitoring stations across the city, there was no earthquake in Shenzhen today,' the statement said.

'The cause of the shaking is being verified by various departments.'

It was not immediately clear how authorities will handle a dangerous building of its scale in the heart of a city of over 12 million people...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9591243/amp/Panic-China-980ft-skyscraper-mysteriously-shakes-causing-mass-evacuation-despite-NO-earthquake.html

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 1:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Perhaps sound/vibration resonance?
Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:29 PM
Ω

It must have reached structural resonance due to the conditions that day. Not good. If that's true it will require some extensive modifications.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...nzhen/historic

At 1pm on Tuesday in Shenzen it looks like there were sustained 20 mph winds. That still shouldn't be enough to shake a tower like this unless it was in resonance.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:10 PM

I am guessing a perfect alignment of the 27 mph wind and some other external source(s) was enhancing the natural resonance of the building; very intriguing.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:17 PM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It must have reached structural resonance due to the conditions that day. Not good. If that's true it will require some extensive modifications.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...nzhen/historic

At 1pm on Tuesday in Shenzen it looks like there were sustained 20 mph winds. That still shouldn't be enough to shake a tower like this unless it was in resonance.
Resonance is interesting- this is a 20 year old building, has this happened to it before? If not, then what has changed in its environment between now, and the last time it experienced these same wind conditions? (Same speed, same direction, etc). If it's never had these issues before, it could mean that something new built nearby is changing the way wind affects it- wind tunnel studies show how wind will affect a proposed building, but I'm pretty sure they don't say "Well, your building will hold up fine, but it's going to alter wind behavior in the area and potentially fuck up your neighbor by giving it resonance issues it's never had before!"
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:15 AM
Community Guy

That's messed.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 6:49 AM
if I sang out of tune

This is crazy, maybe a magnetic anomaly? Or the lifts going up and down in some kind of sync?

OP, do you mean the Millennium Bridge? The 1000+ft structure started to lurch when people perfectly fell in step with each other (due to the crowd, all going at the same pace)

Video Link

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:06 AM
if I sang out of tune

OK according to residents the tower started vibrating, then swaying and went on for 50 mins. In the clip you can see how much the shaking is ongoing on the twin tips of the spire 356m /1168 ft above (roof height 292m). Don't know if it's relevant, but there's an electronics market at its base.

Video Link

Last edited by muppet; May 20, 2021 at 7:22 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 7:14 AM
if I sang out of tune

I think I've worked it out

Video Link

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 8:47 AM
Crane Goddess

"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 3:58 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
I think I've worked it out

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 8:16 AM

Apparently the reason this building started shaking was because wind was causing the spire on top of the building to start shaking which caused the rest of the structure to start shaking. The spire has been removed and the building official height has been reduced to 291m.

http://www.thatsmags.com/china/post/...why-it-wobbled

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture