HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:53 PM
Community Guy

Personally (and I am sure that I am not alone), I have no issues with that entrance off of 100st that is convenient for folks driving up the hill or coming into the core for various events. It is one of the least of our collective worries.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Personally (and I am sure that I am not alone), I have no issues with that entrance off of 100st that is convenient for folks driving up the hill or coming into the core for various events. It is one of the least of our collective worries.
true enough that this one is "one of the least of our collective worries" at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 1:19 AM

Quote:
They need to cut the Library Parkade down to size so that there is greater visibility of Centennial Plaza from one of our main streets. I don't see the point in redeveloping Centennial Plaza if most people can't see it. Also, it would greatly enhance safety. Personally I've always been a tad skittish about walking between the Milner and the parkade due to safety concerns, so I can only imagine how others (e.g. women) may feel about it.

They could make the Library Parkade to be the same as the Scotia Place Parkade entrance. At the very least they could just remove the multi-color window roof.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 3:59 AM
Community Guy

Really now? Come on.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
They need to cut the Library Parkade down to size so that there is greater visibility of Centennial Plaza from one of our main streets. I don't see the point in redeveloping Centennial Plaza if most people can't see it. Also, it would greatly enhance safety. Personally I've always been a tad skittish about walking between the Milner and the parkade due to safety concerns, so I can only imagine how others (e.g. women) may feel about it.

They could make the Library Parkade to be the same as the Scotia Place Parkade entrance. At the very least they could just remove the multi-color window roof.
I agree with you.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Really now? Come on.
some days you need to take off your “move on, nothing to see here folks” hat and stop being so condescending Coldrsx.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 3:59 PM

Centennial Plaza has always been a strange part of downtown that felt disconnected from the surrounding area. Walking through there can give you an odd isolated feel and the weariness to scan for anything potentially troublesome.

I wish they'd take down the visible barriers on all three sides and open up the spot more to the street (tough with the parking garage entrances I would imagine).

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:02 PM
Community Guy

Condescending or stepping back and looking at the issue/concern presented and making a comment about it?

That entrance is visually interesting, is quite innocuous and exceptionally convenient. The majority of people that I know who rarely come Downtown use that entrance/parkade because it is 'easy'. We need to make Downtown easy for more people, not less.

I can appreciate safety concerns and while I do not see that specific entrance as an issue, I can appreciate the collective impact of that, the 3 stairs leading down and current closed off configuration at the south end of the site; the new design should mitigate much of this.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:13 PM

I signed up with Engaged Edmonton and gave them a piece of my mind. I see Ken has done likewise.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Condescending or stepping back and looking at the issue/concern presented and making a comment about it?

That entrance is visually interesting, is quite innocuous and exceptionally convenient. The majority of people that I know who rarely come Downtown use that entrance/parkade because it is 'easy'. We need to make Downtown easy for more people, not less.

I can appreciate safety concerns and while I do not see that specific entrance as an issue, I can appreciate the collective impact of that, the 3 stairs leading down and current closed off configuration at the south end of the site; the new design should mitigate much of this.
the “new design” mitigates none of it. if anything the view corridors into that plaza are worse, not better, as a result of this “new design”.

and “Really now? Come on.” isn’t “stepping back and looking at the issue/concern presented and making a comment about it”, it’s condescending.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
^
"While there are elements here that I like, there are some that fail. One of the largest urban failures we have with Rice Howard Way, Judy Padua Way and Shoctor Alley is the lack of any east/west connection between Canada Place and 101st Street. Not only are there misalignments along 101A Avenue and a lack of through traffic in either direction, there is no visual connection either. One of the largest obstructions to that visual connection has been the Molson Amphitheatre and this plan perpetuates that with the fenced in daycare area. That area should be as low and as transparent as possible (i.e. glass rather than solid railings at the edges) to minimize that as much as possible. It should be maintained along Judy Padua Way as well as at the ends so you also have sight-lines from the sidewalk on the south side clear across this plaza to the library. This would make that streetscape sidewalk - which has no transparent urban edges to the Westin - a safer, more open and inviting stretch. I would then move the day care space adjacent to the library where the building would provide shelter from the prevailing north west wind and well as some shelter from the weather underneath the overhang. The locations of the other elements could simply be adjusted to suit. Losing the entrance to the Westin Parking from Rue Hull will be a loss if the ramp at that corner of the plaza can't be integrated without closing it. Tree species haven't been shown but the ones on the south side of Judy Padua Way will be problematic given the lack of sunshine they will get. I hope (a) the tree wells will be generous enough to help compensate for that and (b) that the trees are large enough when first installed to have a good chance for survival (the typical vertical twigs that have been planted in recent years won't have a hope or a prayer)."
Absolutely.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:52 PM

So I take it the idea (with prelim public feedback?) was to turn this into a urban park for the daycare? They don't utilize the existing physical structures in the design at all. This is very disappointing.

We've done better rooftop amenities on non-market rental housing than this.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:53 PM
Community Guy

It is intended to add greenery, play, required daycare space and a new social space for folks visiting the area.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
It is intended to add greenery, play, required daycare space and a new social space for folks visiting the area.
if that was the intention, then this plan fails on intention as well as execution.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:51 PM
Community Guy

Cut down two years ago, replanted, already slated for removal.

Mine

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:58 PM

Some trees can't handle being moved.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Some trees can't handle being moved.
if the city actually put in trees instead of saplings - particularly in a relatively hostile environment - they would have a better chance of handling the move.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:33 PM

Do they water these trees? I'm not downtown a lot so I would hope they are watering them if there's a lack of rain.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:57 PM
Community Guy

They water them for 1-2 years after planting and then release them to nature.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Do they water these trees? I'm not downtown a lot so I would hope they are watering them if there's a lack of rain.
they put these particular saplings in last october and then fed them a steady diet of salt all winter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton