HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 6:36 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Guys, Awesome job! Thank you so much for your ambitious efforts!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
What is the link or where is the "Drawings Pending Approval link in the SSP Diagrams section?" I'm interested in see these works. Thanks.
It's only available for viewing if you are registered in the diagrams portion of the website (this is a different login than the forums).

I took a peek and Late1 is being too critical in my opinion. It's a great addition to the Philly page (once it gets approved, which should be any day now).

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:59 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
It's only available for viewing if you are registered in the diagrams portion of the website (this is a different login than the forums).

I took a peek and Late1 is being too critical in my opinion. It's a great addition to the Philly page (once it gets approved, which should be any day now).
Copy that...thanks!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 3:07 AM

She's up. And she's super skinny. Fantastic diagram!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 1:32 PM

That was quick! Some really good drawings submitted before mine are still pending, so not sure why the Philly ones are getting fast-tracked, but we'll take it!

Hopefully the revised height will appear under the diagram soon. I requested the change to 590' when submitting the drawing, and obviously the old height has been removed, so maybe that part's still being verified.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. thisisforreal, I'll try the Photoshop settings you mentioned soon (I was out taking pics yesterday afternoon thru last night and have a lot to go through.)

But if you're looking for more detail on SLS, in post 93 on page 5 of this thread, Summers posted a link to a very thorough PDF of SLS. Like I said before, some of the developer's drawings don't quite match up to each other, but it's a great resource and is what I used to get a better handle on the tower.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 4:35 PM

I think one criticism of the skyline is you have this big drop-off after the Commerce Square twins. Not including City hall, you have nothing until about 500 ft, an almost 100 ft gap and considering the commerce twins are west of the primary cluster, they didn’t help integrate the larger towers into the smaller buildings east of 15th Street and South of Chestnut. I think buildings like the W and SLS will start to address that drop-off and tie together the taller towers with the sea of buildings between 400 and 500 ft.

Last edited by PHL10; Apr 29, 2015 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think one criticism of the skyline is you have this big drop-off after the Commerce Square twins. Not including City hall, you have nothing until about 500 ft, an almost 100 ft gap and considering the commerce twins are west of the primary cluster, they didn’t help integrate the larger towers into the smaller buildings west of 15th Street and South of Chestnut. I think buildings like the W and SLS will start to address that drop-off and tie together the taller towers with the sea of buildings between 400 and 500 ft.
I would like to see more towers built in both the 500 and 600 foot range in Philly.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:34 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Brutalism takes a particular kind. I like it in modest doses. But whether the Brutalist style is for you or not...most Brutalist concrete monoliths of the 60s and 70s have given way over the years to stained facades, chipped corners, and broken stairs (take a looks at U Mass Amherst or Boston City Hall). Concrete façades, in particular, tend not to age that well (though it's more of a problem in more maritime climates). This particular building seems to have a patina of dirt and grit. Depending on vantage point, SLS will probably block much of it from view.
I wonder if there's any possibility of Center City One getting this treatment with SLS demolition (and ultimate construction) proceeding very nicely:

http://fieldcondition.com/blog/2015/5/6/manhattan-west

Such a recladding seems less likely in Philly. But who knows. Anyone know who owns the apartment building?

Entertaining article on it from a few years ago by Philaphilia:

http://philaphilia.blogspot.com/2012...-week-may.html

EDIT: seems it is a condo building, which would make any possibility of recladding far less likely: http://www.centercitycondos.com/high..._city_one.html I had thought it was apartments.

Last edited by jsbrook; May 9, 2015 at 11:52 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 1:23 AM

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 5:56 PM
BANNED

I wonder if groundbreaking is still going to be in the fall

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 7:57 PM

Its been a while, but I believe the Roof Garden in the Kimmel is open to the public so long as there are no events going on. Its the RG on the Elevator buttons.

Would be an excellent place to snag photos of this site from.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 12:42 PM
BANNED

Looks like we wont be seeing any further action here for a few months.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...__project.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post

Where did you get this from the article? It mentions nothing of a timeline except for that the hotel will open by Spring 2018. That's three years from now. Once the site is cleared we could see excavators starting to arrive within a few weeks. Doubt it's going to be months without action.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 6:16 PM

From the article:

Quote:
After years of planning, work is set to begin in the fall on the 152-guest-room SLS Lux Philadelphia Hotel & Residences.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
From the article:
Thank you. Since this is June I surmised that we wouldnt see any construction for months.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:

That was their plan all along but now they apparently whiffed on the $10m grant they requested. Hopefully, they're prepared to move forward without it but who knows. The gap between demo and scheduled start of construction never made sense to me.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:35 PM

Quote:
From the article:
Quote:
Thank you. Since this is June I surmised that we wouldnt see any construction for months.
Ahh, thanks for this. I didn't see that in the article for some reason.

If look at the site from the last picture posted, it looks like they have a lot of sit clearance/removal of old foundations, excavation, bracing of the subway tunnels and existing surrounding building foundations, etc. I assume this work will likely take a few months before foundation work can even begin.

So it's likely this is what will cause the bulk of the hold up. As for not acquiring the $10 mill grant from the state, I don't think that's going to have much of an affect.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
That was their plan all along but now they apparently whiffed on the $10m grant they requested. Hopefully, they're prepared to move forward without it but who knows. The gap between demo and scheduled start of construction never made sense to me.
Perhaps the gap is just between now and a ground breaking ceremony. If not, I'm definitely not understanding why all work would halt until the fall.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
As for not acquiring the $10 mill grant from the state, I don't think that's going to have much of an affect.
Agreed. Per the article, this is a $220m project. $10m represents 4.5% of the budget. The developers probably took a flier on the free money available but I doubt they were relying on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive