HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
Bike share installation are going in, saw the one at 11th and Spruce today and look basically completed
Same for one right by the Kimmel Center. They are supposed to be up and running on April 23.

Last edited by jsbrook; Apr 5, 2015 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

This really looks cool, better than I thought.
It did turn out better! I wasn't a huge fan of the grey paneling as it went up. Looked cheap to me. But it's growing on me. I think it's very different. Walking past this building in the bright sunshine the other day, it looked great! I wonder if Cheescake Factory is out of the mix too. Maybe we will get a cooler restaurant/bar. They are advertising for restaurant availability for the building AND if you go to Cheescake's website, this site is not listed in locations or in "Coming Soon" venues.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:31 AM

Looks a lot better than I thought it would. I want to see 24 floors of that facade.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Looks a lot better than I thought it would. I want to see 24 floors of that facade.
Anyone know if it's constructed in a manner that additional floors could be built if there is demand later and a developer looking to do it in this spot?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Anyone know if it's constructed in a manner that additional floors could be built if there is demand later and a developer looking to do it in this spot?
I for one can't say whether or not it has overbuild capacity.

But I can say that if it does, this has absolutely not been tipped, reported or announced by anyone, particularly anyone connected with the project (e.g., Midwood Investment, Clemens Construction, Bohlin Cywinski, brokers, etc.).

A couple posters on here have speculated - in a manner disguised to seem reality-based - that it must have overbuild capacity given the location. But this speculation is based on no actual real information, just on wishful thinking that no developer in its right mind would build a three-story building at this location.

But given that no one connected with the project has announced anything about overbuild, I'd hazard a guess that, no, there is no overbuild capacity. But again, that's just an educated guess given the facts on the ground

So I think we need to get over the hope for a highrise at this location anytime in the next couple decades, because we'd probably have heard about it by now if it was any kind of a possibility.

We are stuck with a 3-story building (albeit a very good looking one) here for the foreseeable future.

Let's chalk this one up to our imaginary woulda coulda shoulda thread of Philadelphia skyscrapers that are too short, in the wrong location, or in the wrong style.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:06 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post

But I can say that if it does, this has absolutely not been tipped, reported or announced by anyone, particularly anyone connected with the project (e.g., Midwood Investment, Clemens Construction, Bohlin Cywinski, brokers, etc.).

A couple posters on here have speculated - in a manner disguised to seem reality-based - that it must have overbuild capacity given the location. But this speculation is based on no actual real information, just on wishful thinking that no developer in its right mind would build a three-story building at this location.

But given that no one connected with the project has announced anything about overbuild, I'd hazard a guess that, no, there is no overbuild capacity. But again, that's just an educated guess given the facts on the ground

So I think we need to get over the hope for a highrise at this location anytime in the next couple decades, because we'd probably have heard about it by now if it was any kind of a possibility.

We are stuck with a 3-story building (albeit a very good looking one) here for the foreseeable future.

Let's chalk this one up to our imaginary woulda coulda shoulda thread of Philadelphia skyscrapers that are too short, in the wrong location, or in the wrong style.
Though to try to put a positive spin on things, its only 3 stories, so if in 5-10 years they want to get rid of it for a skyscraper, its a lot easier (and cheaper) than if it was any taller.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:49 PM

Is it possible to be able to building up on this design later to where it could be a skyscraper? I know it needs a core but is it possible using the current structure

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Though to try to put a positive spin on things, its only 3 stories, so if in 5-10 years they want to get rid of it for a skyscraper, its a lot easier (and cheaper) than if it was any taller.
This building is only three stories but it was still an expensive development using what are clearly high end materials, it's far from run of the mill three story building made of pine and particle board. The costs associated with the construction of this building will be passed on in any future sale making the demolition of the building to build something taller very cost prohibitive, at least in the near future. Center City continues to develop at an amazing pace but there are still plenty of lots that provide a much easier and cheaper opportunity at development now that this building has been constructed. The chances that this building will be demolished in the next 5-10 years are basically zero.

I also agree with Cro that the building was likely not designed to have floors added in the future as there has been absolutely no official word of this being the case. Considering the steel frame construction and the size of the foundation additional floors could probably be retro-engineered. But if the building wasn't designed for an overbuild capacity, any type of project to add floors would again be very costly.

I think people just have to accept that this building is going to be with us... and only be three stories for the foreseeable future. It is a missed opportunity in my mind, especially considering the fact that it's not like this building needed to be 300 ft to make a big difference. Even if this building was only twice the size and had three floors of residential on top while maintaining the same design, I think it would have looked absolutely incredible and would have been a great addition to the area.

At the end of the day though the fact that we're all complaining about this building is a sign of how great things are in Philly right now. There are far worse punishments than getting this gem of a building, undersized or not.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 7:26 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

4/6/15

111 walnut

ends up this thing is called Ping An House

garage re-facade in progress next door

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 9:22 PM
Fishtown & Country

A higher view of the project at Race & Front, 4-6

It's really up against the I-95 wall-

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post

Yeah, probably. Me, I'm not really that bothered by height on this one. I think a mixture of heights adds interest and there are lots of taller buildings in the surrounding blocks.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 2:42 AM

Thanks for the updates guys! So many great smaller projects going on throughout the city as well

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Just got a zoning meeting notice for proposed projects on Delaware Ave:

1) 1100 N Delaware Ave
Proposal for a 12-story building with residential (180 apartments, 12 townhomes, 205 parking spaces) and ground floor office and retail.

2) 1212 N Delaware Ave
Proposal for a 6-story building with retail on ground floor, offices, and 27 apartments

Anyone hear of this before? I may have missed mention of it...
Yeah, these projects seem interesting. Here is an article from Naked Philly on the 12 floor building. No renderings yet though.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ng-coming-down

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 2:58 AM

3rd and Market - apartments/retail
Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 2:43 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

4/7/15

13th and South

rendering

OCF Realty infill on 1100 block of South

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:59 PM

Does anyone know what is going up in Manayunk. You can now see what looks like an elevator shaft and stairwell close to 76, seems to be on the 76 side of the towpath and looks considerable in size

Also the development at Queen and DE Ave next to the 95 exit is really taking shape- comes right to Columbus Ave

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what is going up in Manayunk. You can now see what looks like an elevator shaft and stairwell close to 76, seems to be on the 76 side of the towpath and looks considerable in size

Also the development at Queen and DE Ave next to the 95 exit is really taking shape- comes right to Columbus Ave
ya that's a crazy one. Front door like 15 feet off the ground and facing delaware ave

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you're referring to the same thing, but O'Neill Property Group is constructing a 600 unit apartment complex on the Lower Merion side of the river at the foot of Righters Ferry Road.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
ya that's a crazy one. Front door like 15 feet off the ground and facing delaware ave
Just went past there on Saturday. Its definitely an odd spot for huge housing complex. Some homes are facing 95 sound barrier and others are right up against delaware ave and all that traffic. Not much in the wa of views from those homes. Anyone walking or driving by will be faced with blank walls it seems.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
Not sure if you're referring to the same thing, but O'Neill Property Group is constructing a 600 unit apartment complex on the Lower Merion side of the river at the foot of Righters Ferry Road.
That's it. I never thought they would actually get this one off the ground but I'm excited about it. Hopefully more things will move into the shopping center with the theater. They are fixing up the bridge as well. Another complex was proposed for across the street closer to the CVS but it was shut down for parking and re-evaluating the flood zoning. I'm sick of parking killing development in this city, there's two R6 stops within walking distance and bus transfer station within 100 yards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development