HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
$17.3 million here vs $24.6 million in Cowtown. Not a crazy difference between the two and doesn't seem unreasonable given the population differences.
Perhaps, reasonable on grounds of city-proper populations but not at all reasonable based on CMAs, which is my point.

2016 CMA Census figures:

Calgary 1.393M
Edmonton 1.321M

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 10:02 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

What I want to see is a mass produced container-based housing much like Honomobo has created in Edmonton but on a MUCH larger scale... https://www.honomobo.com/

I personally could live in a 160 sq ft micro flat (8' x 20') never mind a 320 sq ft one (16' x 20 or 8' x 40'). Stack these up at mass transit sites or spread them up as backyard cabins. Either way it would be the easiest and least invasive way of adding units. Is it for everyone? No but increasingly people live alone or in a DINK (Duel Income No Kids) situation it could be a great fit. At least 50% of the market these days in some places... I would personally love to keep a small downtown Edmonton apartment as well as build my dream house in the BC mountains..

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 11:03 PM
Community Guy

Temporary accommodation opens at Convention Centre
October 29, 2020

Edmonton’s homeless-serving sector and the City of Edmonton will open the doors of temporary accommodation at the Edmonton Convention Centre on October 30. The space will provide people experiencing homelessess with a warm safe place to go as winter sets in.

Boyle Street Community Services, The Mustard Seed, Bissell Centre and the Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society will operate the 24/7 accommodation space.

People who stay at the temporary accommodation can expect to be fully supported on their path toward stable housing, as well as having access to mental health, addictions, overdose prevention, Indigenous, cultural, and youth support services. Laundry services, showers, enhanced storage opportunities, and daily meals will also be provided.

Initial capacity and services will be limited at first, but as community agencies hire staff and scale up, capacity and services will improve. By the end of next week, the space is expected to be able to accommodate up to 300 people for day services and overnight shelter. Anyone experiencing homelessness, including individuals at encampments, can use the temporary accommodation at the convention centre.

There are approximately 2,000 people experiencing homelessness, with 600 sleeping outside or unsheltered on any given night. It’s estimated that almost 200 people are becoming homeless each month. Because of physical distancing requirements, there are fewer overnight emergency shelter spaces and day services for people experiencing homelessness. The pandemic has also dramatically increased the number and visibility of vulnerable people in our city.

This collaborative response increases the number of emergency accommodations and provides significantly expanded access to daytime support services in Edmonton.

In addition, the City is supporting the Hope Mission in creating a temporary shelter at Commonwealth Stadium. The space accommodates more than 100 people and is expected to operate until March. The Commonwealth Stadium space has opened initially as an overnight shelter to replace space previously provided at the Central Lions Senior Centre. The City is working with Hope Mission to confirm its operational plans and ensure resources are in place to move to a 24/7 shelter model on the site. The Mustard Seed will also expand its shelter and programming for vulnerable populations with a new 24/7 facility on the south side that is scheduled to open November 2.

The agencies will operate the temporary accommodation using $8 million in funding from the federal and provincial governments to help municipalities respond to COVID-19. An additional $500,000 will be reallocated from the City’s 2020 budget.

Halls A, B, and C on the Assembly Level of the Edmonton Convention Centre will be used for the temporary accommodation. Totalling 85,000 square feet, the physical space will allow for physical distancing due to COVID-19. Intake procedures will include COVID-19 screening measures to ensure the safety of everyone at the facility. The temporary accommodation is expected to remain open until March 31, 2020.

Media contacts:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
City of Edmonton
587-987-7166

Elliott Tanti
Communications and Development Manager
Boyle Street Community Services
587-338-4025

Scarlet Bjornson
Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Bissell Centre
780-220-8262

Liz Stephenson
Communications Coordinator Team Lead
The Mustard Seed
780-999-6878

Arlysse Wuttunee​
Promotions & Communications
Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society
587-988-5007
View as Webpage
Connect with us
Facebook Twitter Instagram
City of Edmonton | 10111 104 Avenue, 11th floor, Edmonton, Alberta T5J0J4 Canada
Unsubscribe idgroup@shaw.ca
Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by newsdistribution@edmonton.ca

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
What I want to see is a mass produced container-based housing much like Honomobo has created in Edmonton but on a MUCH larger scale... https://www.honomobo.com/

I personally could live in a 160 sq ft micro flat (8' x 20') never mind a 320 sq ft one (16' x 20 or 8' x 40'). Stack these up at mass transit sites or spread them up as backyard cabins. Either way it would be the easiest and least invasive way of adding units. Is it for everyone? No but increasingly people live alone or in a DINK (Duel Income No Kids) situation it could be a great fit. At least 50% of the market these days in some places... I would personally love to keep a small downtown Edmonton apartment as well as build my dream house in the BC mountains..
while it's an interesting concept - and a pretty decent website with pretty good photography - 'm not sure they qualify as affordable other than providing small units. pricing isn't offered on all of the units but the ho1 starts at $75k for 160 sf or $470/psf to which you probably need to upgrade heating and cooling and insulation for our climate. on top of that, you still need to provide water, sewer and power connections, a foundation and a site to place it.

if you're going to "stack them up" at a transit site, you'll also need to construct shaft space for utilities, add corridors, exit stairs and elevators etc. and you'll lose one of the glazing walls. by the time you move in, you're probably a great deal pricier than typical frame construction whether that's purpose-built on site, panelized or factory built.

in a non-urban location where labour and material are both difficult and expensive to acquire and supervision may be difficult to obtain, these look like really good options to either building on site or reverting to back to a traditional mobile home.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 9:35 PM
Community Guy

City offers grants to help fill housing gap
November 9, 2020

The City is helping create safe, suitable and long term housing options for all Edmontonians by offering grants to developers for affordable and supportive housing.

“This pandemic has amplified deep inequalities that we must strive to address, including the issue of homelessness exasperated by the city's shortage of affordable and supportive housing,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “By encouraging the development of affordable and supportive housing this grant program brings us closer to our goal of ending homelessness in Edmonton by providing the safety, stability and opportunity that only housing can provide and that all Edmontonians deserve.“

The second round of the Affordable Housing Investment Program will offer grants for new construction projects as well as the refurbishment of existing housing units. The grants will cover up to 25 per cent of capital construction costs and are available to eligible nonprofit and private sector organizations. Applications are due by February 18, 2021.

“COVID-19 has shown how quickly and unexpectedly health and employment status can change. Stable, affordable housing helps prevent housing insecurity and homelessness, particularly in times of uncertainty,” said Christel Kjenner, the City’s Director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness. “The City is committed to working with housing providers to fill the affordable and supportive housing gap.”

The $133 million Affordable Housing Investment Plan was approved in 2018 with the goal of creating 2,500 new units by 2022 through grants, surplus school site redevelopment and supportive housing development. The City surpassed the halfway mark in fall 2020, with support approved for 1,307 new units.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/affordablehousinginvestment

Media contact:
Nicole Thomas
Communications and Engagement
780-819-1109

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 6:21 PM
Community Guy

City statement - Camp closure - Camp Pekiwewin
November 12, 2020

The Camp Pekiwewin encampment in Rossdale is now closed. Following closure notices posted at the camp on Sunday, November 8, City of Edmonton staff advised those remaining onsite today that this parkland is closed. A charter bus was available for those interested in relocating to available space in the shelter system. The City has begun work to clean up the site and expect that will take several days to complete.

Over several months, the City has worked towards a peaceful closure of this encampment by actively engaging with the camp organizers. In support of the organizers’ recent announcement of a wind down of the camp, the City provided charter bus transportation from Camp Pekiwewin to the Edmonton Convention Centre and other shelter options over multiple days. The City also provided the organizers with bus tickets for camp occupants to use public transit to relocate themselves outside of the charter bus schedule.

We thank our agency partners for all the work they have done since the camp was established to help transition people from the encampment into temporary accommodations and find pathways to permanent housing. Our collective priority has always been the safety of those in the camp and the surrounding community.

Housing outreach workers continue to work with those experiencing homelessness to transition them to better housing situations. In the past few months, the Outreach and Coordinated Access team led by Homeward Trust, the Bissell Centre, and Boyle Street Community Services met with 318 individuals from encampments at Camp Pekiwewin, Light Horse/McIntyre Park, and the Terrace Building. These individuals received screening, triage, and referrals to housing services and programs best suited to address their circumstances. As of November 5:
73 individuals completed intake to housing first programs
19 of these individuals have accessed Bridge Housing and are working to secure permanent housing
36 of these individuals have been housed in permanent housing

Since the pandemic was declared in March, more than 1,000 Edmontonians have accessed housing thanks to the collective efforts of social agencies and housing providers.

Recent cold weather has increased demand for shelter spaces in Edmonton. Some facilities, such as the temporary accommodation at the Edmonton Convention Centre, reached capacity each night this past weekend; however, spaces continue to be available at other facilities, such as the overnight shelter operated by Hope Mission at Commonwealth Stadium. When lineups form at Edmonton Convention Centre, those waiting in line are transported to shelters where capacity is available. As of November 9, Community and Social Services noted that there were 766 shelter spaces in the system with options for 140 additional spaces as needed to respond to increases in demand, in addition to the Edmonton Convention Centre.

As of Thursday, November 12, a shelter at Commonwealth Stadium has moved to 24/7 operations. In partnership with Hope Mission, the City has made this space available in response to increased demand for indoor accommodations and services for Edmonton’s most vulnerable. The shelter is providing day and night sleeping options, meal service and access to social services.

The City is working with social agencies to discuss additional ways to respond to the surge in demand at the Edmonton Convention Centre created by recent cold weather. This immediate response is part of a longer term approach that includes creating additional bridge housing and permanent housing capacity in Edmonton. This work aligns with efforts to be inclusive and compassionate in addressing chronic and episodic homelessness as identified in the City Plan.

Media contact:
Mark Torjusen
Communications and Engagement
780-914-8087

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:21 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 377655935-002
Description: To operate a temporary Supportive Housing facility with 334 beds with Accessory Health Services (operating until June 30, 2021)
Plan 8222789 Lot A
Applicant: CITY OF EDMONTON
Create Date: 11/6/2020 9:54:28 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 3:36 AM
Community Guy

A good announcement last week for some new projects, but it seems like a drop in the bucket and a reluctance to address underlying issues.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A good announcement last week for some new projects, but it seems like a drop in the bucket and a reluctance to address underlying issues.
it will always be a drop in the bucket as long as we keep thinking we can solve it on the supply side instead of addressing it on the demand side.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:29 PM
Community Guy

Indeed Ken, indeed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:54 PM
Community Guy

Quite an update from pages 35 on.

https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings...cumentId=78221

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:33 PM
Community Guy

At council's executive committee meeting earlier this week, councillors agreed to provide additional funding to support daytime services for the homeless, approving $2.4 million for the Bissell Centre and up to $564,704 for the Boyle Street Community Centre. But they voted 3-2 against a $4 million proposal for a new temporary shelter that would have been operated by Bissell Centre at 105th Avenue and 105th Street as a drop-in centre from May 1 to Oct. 31.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
At council's executive committee meeting earlier this week, councillors agreed to provide additional funding to support daytime services for the homeless, approving $2.4 million for the Bissell Centre and up to $564,704 for the Boyle Street Community Centre. But they voted 3-2 against a $4 million proposal for a new temporary shelter that would have been operated by Bissell Centre at 105th Avenue and 105th Street as a drop-in centre from May 1 to Oct. 31.
I'm glad they voted against the shelter at 105/105. The Wonderharbor comic book store opened under a year ago and it's my understanding that they've had issues to the point where they've had to lock their doors after 6 pm. There's also an LRT station near 105/105.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:59 PM
Community Guy

MacEwan already has a ton of issues as well.

But once again, if you don't put it there, where do you put it? There is a clear need.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 3:18 PM
A Better Place

Quote:

But once again, if you don't put it there, where do you put it? There is a clear need.
Put it in Glenora just to see the reaction from the NIMBYs there.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:08 PM

Put it on a Walmart parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:

Please don't tell me they've already filled the convention centre.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Please don't tell me they've already filled the convention centre.
its tenure has been extended once already but it is due to close on April 30.

i have mixed feelings about its success or lack thereof both for its client user group and for the neighborhood (including whether that was the best place for it even on a short-term emergency basis).

having said that, i can certainly understand the resistance to those living and working or transiting through the 105 street and 105 avenue area.

in both cases, i fail to understand why all of the monies involved in all of these short term options weren't deemed to be better invested in the abandoned coliseum where the requisite services could continue to be offered for the short/medium term in a single location instead of being punted around every few months.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 8:30 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
its tenure has been extended once already but it is due to close on April 30.

i have mixed feelings about its success or lack thereof both for its client user group and for the neighborhood (including whether that was the best place for it even on a short-term emergency basis).

having said that, i can certainly understand the resistance to those living and working or transiting through the 105 street and 105 avenue area.

in both cases, i fail to understand why all of the monies involved in all of these short term options weren't deemed to be better invested in the abandoned coliseum where the requisite services could continue to be offered for the short/medium term in a single location instead of being punted around every few months.
The Coliseum would've required a bit of money to get up to a habitable state for people to sleep in for more than a few days. It has a roof and is enclosed, yes, but it is dirty and has no running water (bathrooms aren't really in usable condition at the moment either).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
The Coliseum would've required a bit of money to get up to a habitable state for people to sleep in for more than a few days. It has a roof and is enclosed, yes, but it is dirty and has no running water (bathrooms aren't really in usable condition at the moment either).
well they did spend at least 10.3 million in direct costs for tapiniwaw in the convention centre.

i don't know what the partner costs were on top of that.

i don't know what the indirect costs were on top of that.

i don't know what the cleanup costs will be on top of that after it will be vacated.

i am, however, pretty sure that would have more than paid for some cleaning and reconnecting running water would enable usable shower and washroom facilities that didn't exist in the convention centre and have no residual value in the convention centre.

i am also pretty sure that the same sunk cost at the coliseum would have paid for a 24/7 shelter that would still be open as of may 1 and could still be open until may 1, 2022 or longer instead of one that will be closed as of may 1, 2021.

but what do i know...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton