HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:36 PM

An excavator was onsite end of last week. Looks like some geo work done. Also road markers in place on the site so something might happen soon.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 2:46 AM

Heard from a friend last week that this development has received all approvals and is a go. Drove by today and saw some good progress. A few excavators on site with a good amount of land cleared to rock. Also the development has changed name and is now Long Lake Village. So I guess the name of the thread should be changed.

This development will be interesting to follow. What will the quality be for the area? Clear cut like Governor's Brook or high end like nearby Ravenscaig. Given what properties are now selling for in Ravenscraig ($750 - $800K) the market is definitely there.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 11:02 AM

I think it will be higer density with townhouses and single family homes on smallish lots, so more like Governor's Brook, but will have some multi-unit builings as well.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 2:36 PM

Quite a bit of land cleared and work going on here

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 5:37 AM

Any idea what's going on with this one?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:19 PM

Streets and services are in for phase 1, I am guessing a model home or two is under construction by this point.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:52 PM

In the tradition of suburban developments being named after the places they destroy...
Well, I guess it's separated from the lake by a road, so not quite as bad as some... Long Lake Provincial Park needs some serious TLC from the provincial government. Inadequate parking, trails, garbage bins... Used by 1000s of people on hot days in the summer. I guess maybe the future residents of Long Lake Village might advocate for the park. Or maybe not considering they probably won't be able to walk to it, despite the fact they're only 100 metres away.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 1:03 AM

I lived in the Mainland South area for most of my life and I still don't know how to "properly" access Long Lake PP (or even if there are official entry points).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 4:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I lived in the Mainland South area for most of my life and I still don't know how to "properly" access Long Lake PP (or even if there are official entry points).
I lived in that area too for a while. It has some good qualities, but it's got to be one of the most dysfunctional, frustrating parts of the city. I used to live about 4 kilometres from Dal and it took me something like 45 minutes to get to school. The neighbourhood is a mix of relatively densely packed houses and apartment buildings and I think parts of Hammonds Plains have better local shops and services (literally -- I lived in a house in St. Margaret's Bay that was closer to a convenience store and grocery store). Mainland South is a textbook case of what can go wrong when you don't build decent infrastructure.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
As far as I know the only official access point is the small parking lot on the Bay Road. Once you get into the park the gravel trail (probably an old road) goes only a couple hundred metres. Then the unofficial trails go on for kilometres.

A search led me to this:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/parks/management/longlake.asp

A draft management plan written in 2008. I wonder when some improvements will be made?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:22 PM

The first section of road is now paved and open. Its part of Cowie Hill Road and can be assessed off of Northwest Arm Drive. There's a few building lots prepped but no signs of housing construction yet.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 9:42 PM

LongLakeVillage.ca

Website is up and running.

Hopefully someone can swing by and grab a photo otherwise its on my priority list for next month!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:15 PM

So I did swing by this last month IIRC there were a few housing frames starting to sprout up but the site was too busy to get a post-worthy picture. But back to the present Polycorp Developments has purchased the multiple-unit blocks (four building sites) and is in the design process. Construction should start in about 12-18 months. Now if only Peter Polly was still posting on this site so we could get some renderings when they are drawn up.

References: Chronicle Herald Article - "Change Builds In North End" (07/10/2013)

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:41 AM

From Kiel Development's twitter feed.

Source: @KielDevLtd on Twitter

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:37 AM

The condominiums are now listed on Polycorp's website as Aria On The Park.

http://www.polycorp.ca/aria

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 12:00 PM

A rendering of "Aria" is up along Northwest Arm Drive now. Blasting is underway for the building. From my quick look driving by it looks as though it is 8-10 floors, it looked to be mostly white/grey.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 9:42 PM

Construction permit has been issued for the first aria at the park building. Foundation work appears to be commencing.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:27 AM

The next 2 streets are well under way out here.

It's been over a year since Dmajackson noted that foundation work has begun on the Aria building. I would say they are 75% done the foundation now. At this rate it will be a 10 year construction project, this seems to be in a development race with the Cogswell Interchange.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:34 AM
we built this city

Found a rendering... it would be preferable if these buildings picked up pace.
Source

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Found a rendering... it would be preferable if these buildings picked up pace.
Source
It would be better if these buildings were left as drawings and never built. They look like crap and completely overwhelm the lake and surrounding area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs