HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:38 AM

Love it or list it, vancouver

so anyone watch that series? its good but one thing always bugs me, the stock footage they use as filler or setting the tone is often really old, one shot they use of downtown doesn't even have the shangrila building in it and a lot of the other shots are a good number of years old

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 7:01 AM
See ya down under, mates

My wife loves it and I watch most episodes with her. I like guessing where they are exactly but wish they'd say at some point. Todd loves suggesting the north shore to anyone who wants more space than Vancouver without upping their budget.

I love to imagine what others think when he cringes at a measily $1.3 million budget. Then you turn on House Hunters and some newlywed couple expects their dream mansion for $150k.

I always comment on the old stock footage myself but the reality is most people don't even know what city it is (it's called Love It or List It Too in America) let alone care that the flyovers are out of date.

Jillian Harris is definitely easy on the eyes. This was taken a block from my place

jillianharris.com

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:04 PM
life in the present

I auditioned for the Realtor part, I made the shortlist, the top 3 or 4, but didn't get the part.

In hindsight I would have had to all but give up my business and clients to play a Realtor vs. being a busy Realtor.

Never watch the sow tho, much prefer the original with David and Hillary.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:52 PM

I've watched a couple dozen episodes of it. I enjoy it. Agree about the outdated stock footage (flyovers etc.). Jillian seems to be able to do quite a bit with the budget (good bang for buck most of the time).

Another good local show is The Liquidator they have some good and more recent shots from around the metro too!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:24 PM

After a while, the bickering between the home owners gets annoying, and their inability to understand risk of unknown costs also gets annoying.

Agreed that it's its interesting to try to figure out places that are "outside your preferred neighbourhood". There was one time I thought they took a Vancouver couple to Surrey or White Rock.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:00 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Agreed that it's its interesting to try to figure out places that are "outside your preferred neighbourhood". There was one time I thought they took a Vancouver couple to Surrey or White Rock.
Yeah Crescent Beach is another one of his favourite spots. He tries to lure them away from high prices with the consolation of a view, which of course looks great on TV, but ignores the Massey/Lions Gate issues.

And the artificial rage/drama about reno price overruns is always so badly acted. I wish they'd stop that.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:12 PM

I guess everyone knows that at least the original show is mostly fake and almost all couples applying for the show want to get their apartment renovated for cheap and are not even planning to sell. They do film two different endings (one where they love it and one where they list it) and then the Producers choose which one to show on television.

Sorry to bust people's bubble, but reality tv is anything but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
I auditioned for the Realtor part, I made the shortlist, the top 3 or 4, but didn't get the part.
That's pretty cool and I hope there is no bitterness in your message. I guess beign an actor is much bigger merit for that role than knowing too much about the real estate market.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:17 PM
See ya down under, mates

I like when they do a bunch of custom work for a kid in a wheelchair or whatever and then still pretend they're debating between their place and a new one.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:24 PM

I love this show, but moreso the original hosts from the original love it or list it. I'm just curious what you guys think? The Vancouver take on it is great but the original show just seems to have better production value?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:38 PM
life in the present

When I was auditioning during the call-back we did a mock episode and they explained very clearly, which parts were scripted and which weren't. It was quite interesting, much is loosely scripted and most 'situations' are mapped out, there's basically some ad-libbing within the pre-determined scenarios and that's about it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 9:11 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I love this show, but moreso the original hosts from the original love it or list it. I'm just curious what you guys think? The Vancouver take on it is great but the original show just seems to have better production value?
I don't like the original hosts at all. They aren't funny or witty.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment