HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:00 PM

I also drove by this on the weekend. The lower brick on the front is sort of a wheat color, a bit lighter than the typical tan brick. It is somewhat unique for here and might be OK in the end but let's wait and see. There is a lot more of the charcoal brick already laid on the upper floors,sides, and rear.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 6:32 PM

I was standing in front of this on Saturday, and a fellow walking by told me that he was talking with the builder who told him that they will be tearing down the Historic House next door to use for parking; I told him that sounded insane and that he must be referring to the small apartment building behind, next to the graveyard.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I was standing in front of this on Saturday, and a fellow walking by told me that he was talking with the builder who told him that they will be tearing down the Historic House next door to use for parking; I told him that sounded insane and that he must be referring to the small apartment building behind, next to the graveyard.
If the Historic House you are talking about is the one at 99 Ochterloney Street, it's owned by Boris Holdings. Boris Holdings is also behind Lotus Point Living so it would be plausible they are demolishing the building to create an entrance for underground parking.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreeb View Post
If the Historic House you are talking about is the one at 99 Ochterloney Street, it's owned by Boris Holdings. Boris Holdings is also behind Lotus Point Living so it would be plausible they are demolishing the building to create an entrance for underground parking.
The entrance for underground parking is on Victoria Road.
The older property is a listed heritage building on a separate lot. Boris also owns the apartment building behind Lotus Point and I believe it will be demolished to provide a better view for new tenants when Lotus Point is completed.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:35 PM

Opportunity missed by HRM here to make that part of Victoria Rd 2 lanes by taking a piece of this site and the old apartment in behind it. Then you would have a reason to exhume a few old graves and finally be rid of the anachronistic setup that stifles movement to and from downtown Dartmouth.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The entrance for underground parking is on Victoria Road.
The older property is a listed heritage building on a separate lot. Boris also owns the apartment building behind Lotus Point and I believe it will be demolished to provide a better view for new tenants when Lotus Point is completed.
View of the graveyard? I have one, but it is of a block away.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Opportunity missed by HRM here to make that part of Victoria Rd 2 lanes by taking a piece of this site and the old apartment in behind it. Then you would have a reason to exhume a few old graves and finally be rid of the anachronistic setup that stifles movement to and from downtown Dartmouth.
Keith, you've obviously never driven that part of Victoria Road in slippery conditions. The grade between Thistle and Park Avenue is such that it would be a traffic nightmare as a major thoroughfare during a winter storm.

Besides, I'm not sure that it would work out to be that important of a route anyhow, with Wyse/Windmill/Alderney already set up for larger traffic volumes. It would be much more cost effective to remove the bottleneck at the intersection of Wyse and Windmill if that kind of traffic volume were actually needed. Maybe a roundabout might do it...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Maybe a roundabout might do it...
...with bike lanes!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
...with bike lanes!
Let me contact my bike lane advisor Moe M. Downe to see what his opinion is.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:27 PM

Welp. I was holding out hope for this one but I am now in the category of thoroughly disappointed. The black brick is really nice. The white brick is odd but overall goes in the category of "non-offensive". But now the third material is going up. What we had worried would be vinyl siding is in fact aluminum siding... that looks like it's been stolen from a warehouse in a second-tier industrial park. I've never seen this particular siding before, and I hope to never see it again. It's clear the architect's original vision has been value-engineered out. Overall a huge disappointment for a prominent Dartmouth corner.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Welp. I was holding out hope for this one but I am now in the category of thoroughly disappointed. The black brick is really nice. The white brick is odd but overall goes in the category of "non-offensive". But now the third material is going up. What we had worried would be vinyl siding is in fact aluminum siding... that looks like it's been stolen from a warehouse in a second-tier industrial park. I've never seen this particular siding before, and I hope to never see it again. It's clear the architect's original vision has been value-engineered out. Overall a huge disappointment for a prominent Dartmouth corner.
I have not seen the new siding, but expect it to be bad. It is terrible what has been allowed to be built. They need to change the name, there is nothing tranquil about this project.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 11:15 PM

This sounds like it's getting worse and worse... haven't been down there in awhile, but I'm thankful for the heads-up so it won't be such a shock when I see it...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I have not seen the new siding, but expect it to be bad. It is terrible what has been allowed to be built. They need to change the name, there is nothing tranquil about this project.
The initial architect is a proven liar. His application on behalf of the developer had one signifcant untruth which may have misled staff and the public into believing there was broad political support.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The initial architect is a proven liar. His application on behalf of the developer had one signifcant untruth which may have misled staff and the public into believing there was broad political support.
Juicy.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Juicy.
The politicians were really annoyed at the assertion, they didn't know what he was claiming until I stood up at the PIM and asked him to name the people he and the developer had met with. He claimed not to remember. I then asked if any of the politicians were in the room. He said he did not know. There were 4 of them sitting in the small room.
The other politicians denied ever meeting with him and the developer - in writing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:27 PM

This has turned into such a disappointment. I actually wretched a little when I saw the final cladding all mishmashed together. The materials and colour contrast is vile.

20190123_161845 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20190123_161754 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20190123_161914 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 5:16 PM

Take a photo from the Dartmouth Common or at the end of my street and you will see a large vetilation stack sticking up from the roof - looks awful.

Last edited by Colin May; Jan 26, 2019 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This has turned into such a disappointment. I actually wretched a little when I saw the final cladding all mishmashed together. The materials and colour contrast is vile.
I have to say I agree. It's somewhat of an eyesore, and it's new now. I can't imagine how it will look as it ages...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:53 PM

The siding they chose on the upper floors really lets it down.

Just as a reminder this is what the original rendering (from 8 years ago, glad our development approvals have been so streamlined!) looked like:

Michael Napier is the architect responsible for the rendering at least.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:39 PM

I held out a lot of hope for this project back then...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth