HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The surface lot on the NW corner of Clark and Huron, across from what was the Hotel Wacker and is now the Hotel Felix, has been swathed with green mesh now. They cut out the black fencing over the weekend and it looks a heckuva lot like they want to construct something there.

James Place was pitched for it, but I find it hard to believe they'd be breaking ground on that anytime soon. I just think it's weird that they'd wrap the site in green mesh, too. If they are building now, maybe there's hope that Staybridge can get funding to finish up soon, too.

Since I live on Huron the next block West, I'd be pleased to see that entire block filled with buildings and activities, adding to the density of the area.
Maybe just repaving the surface lot? Or perhaps the area will be graced with a new drive-thru like the one coming up at LaSalle/Grand?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 1:40 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Roosevelt Collection from street level, taken today 04.28.09
^ Thanks for the update.

I'm still trying to imagine this becoming a dynamic, urban district eventually. But so far, I'm not seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:13 AM
THAT Guy

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...7377&TM=29.857

To foreclose or not to foreclose?
Felicia Dechter
4/29/2009 10:00:00 PM

...Yet dotted among the tony graystones and well-heeled residents of the area stand several multi-million dollar vacant properties bought by M Development before the real estate market crash. At an April 15 meeting at Ogden School, Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd Ward) told the crowd those properties - which include The Cedar Hotel, Three Arts Club, the Regina, the east side of State from Elm to Division and the Esquire Theater - are facing foreclosure suits.

Yet M Development firmly denies this is so, and says they're not in foreclosure on any of their properties in the ward.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:58 PM

Whatever. M development has seemed intent upon depriving the area of any remaining character, so I can't say I feel bad about their business prospects being in the toilet as long as the buildings have yet to be demolished. For some reason, of all these suburbanizing projects, the planned demolition of the Regina (and presumably also the 4-story graystone to the north which was also vacated) for a 1-2 story retail building irked me the most. The Cedar was the most tasteful of all the projects, since the only two worthy aspects of the crunchy old drug/prostitution den were to be saved: the facade and the open-air dining space in front.

The Three Arts debacle was (is?) one of those never-ending neighborhood battles where the only just outcome is for all sides to lose.

And the Esquire cluster is useful as evidence of Ald. Reilly's devotion to sound, rational urban planning.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:13 PM

why do all these new developments all look so similar they all look like cookie cutter suburban developments; thats something i hate they all look the same or almost the same especially the housing

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:29 PM

btw do you think the houing at michel reese will sell? in a interview Daley said he wants to build something there no matter if we get the olympics or not

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:25 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

(Cross-posted in the Sears Tower thread http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...153704&page=12 )

-----

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ars-tower.html

A glass-bottom Skydeck for Sears Tower
May 1, 2009 8:51 AM | No Comments

Visitors won't have to crane their necks to see straight down from the Sears Tower Skydeck when the building adds four glass-bottomed balconies, nicknamed "The Ledge," to its 50-mile views come June.

The Skydeck on the 103rd floor of the building that is changing its name to Willis Tower, opened in 1974, and has--weather permitting--always provided a view of four states. But to see what's directly beneath them, visitors always had to get as close to the building's windows as possible. The Ledge is scheduled to open next month, according to a spokeswoman for the Skydeck.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ars-tower.html

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 4:05 PM

Frightening.......but cool.

They're also retractable. Perhaps they'll be pulled in when the skydeck is closed.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 4:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

I just pee'd down my leg.

I don't care how 'tough' you are, that's a little scary.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
Cap ou pas cap?

I cannot wait to try that out! Would this glass floor be higher than the one over the Grand Canyon?

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 12:43 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ From the GC Sky Walk website:

http://www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/skywalk.html

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 12:54 AM
THAT Guy

^But you can't see those awesome West Loop buildings from the Grand Canyon one.

That rendering does make me wonder how the experience would change if you were standing over the Chicago River instead of Sears' ugly plaza.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:00 AM
Urbane observer

. . . looking at the kayakers far below.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:15 AM
THAT Guy

I was thinking of something like walking the plank, especially with all the pirate talk these days.

BTW, CBS has two decent videos about this
http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=58161@wbbm.dayport.com
http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=58160@wbbm.dayport.com

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
As almost everyone here knows, the Petronas Towers are much shorter than that. The pinnacle of the spires should be barely higher than Sears's roof. Their drawing is wrong because they just assumed the Petronas height figure measures the roof rather than the spire pinnacles. This mistake is and will be repeated in brochures and graphics produced all over the planet - another frustrating result that the CTBUH didn't take into consideration when they adopted their dumb new rule.

Other than that, pretty awesome sight, that skywalk.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 3:01 PM
The City

Central Area Plan has wide range of impact locally

By Dermot Connolly | May 2009

A range of significant transportation, urban design, open space,and waterfront projects that comprise the implementation phase of the City’s sweeping Central Area Plan (CAP) was discussed at an April 2 community meeting that Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) hosted at the Erie Cafe, 536 W. Erie St.

Meeting sponsors included the River North Residents Association, the Fulton River District Association, and the River North Business Association.

More than 100 people turned out to hear about the sweeping plan, which they were told represents the next step in the implementation of the economic development and land use goals laid out in the 2003 Central Area Plan. It prioritizes the CAP’s key urban design, transportation, open space, and waterfront projects, but does not address the issue of where the funding needed to do it will come from.

Bennett Haller, director of urban design and planning for the Chicago Department of Zoning and Land Use, reviewed the plan. He and Reilly then took questions from the audience about the plan that encompasses parts of the 2nd, 3rd, 25th, 27th, 42nd, and 43rd wards.

Reilly and Haller said that about 30 business and civic leaders participated in the drafting the plan, which took about 18 months to complete.

‘Vision document’
They both noted that the Central Area Plan simply is a “vision document” that needs just the approval of the City Plan Commission to be accepted. Reilly explained that each of the individual projects outlined within the CAP would need to go through the normal procedures before anything comes to fruition.

“I don’t want people to think that if the Plan Commission OKs it, it will go ahead,” Reilly said. “This doesn’t mean that anything will be built. It is not going to happen that way. Each of the projects would have to go through the regular procedures, aldermanic approval, zoning hearings, and a vote by the full City Council. Everything will be done out in the open.”

The complete plan is available for viewing on the City of Chicago Web site at egov.cityofchicago.org.

The plan is divided into chapters on land use, transportation and design, and covers North, South, and Central subdistricts. The subdistricts considered in the Central Area include Cabrini-Green, Near North, River North, Streeterville, the Near West Side, West Loop, Central Loop, South Loop, River South, South West Loop, Near South Side and Chinatown.

In addition to the creation of new green space and the expansion of Ping Tom Park, plans calls for considerable improvements in transportation, including new or improved Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) stations and more underground parking facilities on Monroe Street and elsewhere.

South Loop schools, dorms
More elementary and high schools are envisioned in the South Loop, as well as more student housing for colleges in the area.

One of the least expensive projects along the lakefront would be the addition of 200 feet of land near Oak Street Beach, to create a buffer between Lake Shore Drive and the lake.

A few “shovel-ready” projects, such as the new Green Line station on Morgan Street, are included in the plan. However, City officials said, most of the projects are years away from becoming a reality.

Haller pointed out that the total price tag to complete everything would be something like $16 billion, and no money has been allocated as yet. He said that Chicago being awarded the 2016 Olympics, if it were to happen, may generate funding and spur some of the projects toward completion, but none of them is directly linked to the Olympics.

When he was asked after the meeting about the possibility of getting State or Federal funding for the Morgan Street el station, rather than using tax-increment financing funds, Haller said only that the TIF money is the only revenue currently available.

“My first consideration is how these projects affect the local neighborhood,” Reilly said, noting he tries to act with such care that “I act as if I live down the street from where they are happening. “Each of the aldermen will have to give the go-ahead for the projects in their wards, and I have committed to having community meetings in each of the seven neighborhoods in my ward,” said Reilly.

“We are actually ahead of the curve,” said Reilly, noting that he has held several meetings in his ward already.

Enrique Perez, a Printers Row resident, said one of his chief concerns is that not enough schools are planned for the South Loop. He said he was also disappointed that other aldermen had not held similar meetings to the ones in Reilly’s ward.

Reilly said the aldermen would be able to arrange a combined ward meeting where residents from all wards affected could get together.

Public meetings
Reilly said the original intention was to bring the Action Plan before the Plan Commission by April, but now that may not happen until August, to allow for enough public meetings to be held.

“I have some very strong opinions about it,” said Michael Payne, a South Side resident who said he was most concerned that adequate improvements are not being planned to accommodate transportation needs in the event Chicago is awarded the Olympics.

He said it would make sense to align the South Shore Metra line more closely with the CTA rapid transit system, pointing out that it would serve people going to the Olympic venues planned on the South Side. Haller said he tended to agree.

The plan also mentions other waterfront, open space, transportation, and urban-design improvements, such as expanding walkways where feasible along the Chicago River, Northerly Island, and Grant Park.

Brian Israel, president of the River North Residents Association, said “we do not unreservedly agree with everything in the plan,” but said he likes the idea that it looks at development “from 60,000 feet above,” viewing all the projects in relation to each other, and building upon each other.

“I think it is a great step,” Israel continued. “Too often, we approve one project at a time, without looking at the big picture. Then we come back years later and wonder what happened.”

“I am very impressed with the plan and I especially like the transportation portion,” said one meeting attendee. “But what concerns me is the possible lack of political will” in the City Council to get the projects done in the face of local opposition.

“One thing I have is a deep appreciation for is public transportation,” said Reilly, asserting that he has immersed himself in urban planning and the needs of the CTA and RTA. “All I can say is I have the political will. I am someone who will listen to public input, but I always have regional needs in mind as well,” said Reilly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Enrique Perez, a Printers Row resident, said one of his chief concerns is that not enough schools are planned for the South Loop. He said he was also disappointed that other aldermen had not held similar meetings to the ones in Reilly’s ward.
Enrique Perez = Chicago Central Area Plan Presentation. South Loop Building Heights & Parking Lots to be Affected.

During the question/answer session, he didn't ask about schools. He was asking/complaining about height and density. Thealderman told him that it wasn't the venue for that discussion. This is a continuing issue with him. If he's so concerned about schools, why didn't he ask that question in the first place?

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 6:45 PM

^So that was that guy who ran through that very rehearsed and programmed tirade about building height at the meeting on the 23rd? He was something else.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
^So that was that guy who ran through that very rehearsed and programmed tirade about building height at the meeting on the 23rd? He was something else.
One in the same.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 2:23 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
[SIZE="4"]“One thing I have is a deep appreciation for is public transportation,” said Reilly, asserting that he has immersed himself in urban planning and the needs of the CTA and RTA. “All I can say is I have the political will. I am someone who will listen to public input, but I always have regional needs in mind as well,” said Reilly.
That's good, I was worried Reilly might have been caving into recently arrived nimby's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development