HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablospotatos View Post
Seriously. We don't need this site turning into another DYes, where I'm sure it is or has been a troll as well.
This is the same troll Detroityes banned, I know that for a fact at least since he literally talked about this site there.

So even Detroityes has better standards than Skyscraperpage, that's sad lol.

Also the Obama building looks fantastic.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 12:36 AM

The mural on the side of Chroma, being renovated by The Platform in Milwaukee Junction, was damaged by repairs during renovations and replaced with a new mural:

Gallery: See How Detroit Artist Sydney G. James Creates 'The Girl With The D Earring'

Quote:
Detroit's newest mural puts a dramatic face, literally, on a renovated building in the Milwaukee Junction area east of New Center.

"The Girl with the D Earring," as Sydney G. James titles the nine-story work finished Monday, is a take on Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer’s best-known canvas – "Girl with a Pearl Earring," created in 1665. In addition to an Old English "D" left ear decoration, the local version has signs and logos of historic North End and Paradise Valley businesses such as Angie's barber shop, Apex Bar on Oakland Avenue and Red's Jazz Shoe Shine Parlor, founded by Willie D. Thomas in 1949 on Oakland.

Old mural on the left

The nearly completed new mural

Chroma is set to open in November.

Photos from here.

Two doors east of Chroma, Oak & Reel is opening in a fully renovated building this Friday:

Gallery: Oak & Reel Starts Serving Italian-Style Seafood This Week In Detroit's North End

Quote:
A culinary star trades a 15-year New York City career to open a restaurant in the region of his childhood. Chef Jared Gadbaw, raised in Garden City, opens Oak & Reel this coming weekend in the Milwaukee Junction neighborhood east of New Center.

He describes it as "a contemporary Italian restaurant with a primary focus on seafood, ... combining local ingredients with seafood not only from our Great Lakes but also from waters throughout the world." Pasta is handmade at the East Grand Boulevard newcomer.

Detroit's first indoor climbing gym coming to Eastern Market

Quote:
DETROIT (WXYZ) — Indoor rock climbing has continued to grow throughout the United States, and the first indoor climbing gym in the City of Detroit is expected to open later this year in Eastern Market.

Dino Ruggeri, 31, from Grosse Pointe, said DYNO Climbing and Fitness is expected to open in November. It will be located at 1840 Mack Ave. near Orleans and the Dequindre Cut in the north end of Eastern Market.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 1:54 AM

Does anyone know what the book building parking garage details are? Scuttlebutt is the red tower cranes staged at the Monroe Blocks site is for the garage.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
Does anyone know what the book building parking garage details are? Scuttlebutt is the red tower cranes staged at the Monroe Blocks site is for the garage.
I believe all that's been announced is that it'll be in the 10-12 story range and will incorporate the 2 story building on site. The first two floors of the garage will have retail space.

American/French Bistro Slated for Downtown Detroit

Quote:
A new American and French bistro and market is slated to open in January in the City Club Apartments in downtown Detroit.

The Warren-based Joe Vicari Restaurant Group has announced The Statler Bistro, the newest addition to its restaurant portfolio. This will be the 22nd restaurant under the ownership of the group, which includes Andiamo and Joe Muer Seafood.

The new restaurant will occupy half of the first floor of the apartment building and be located on the corner of Washington Boulevard and Park Avenue on the former site of the historic Statler Hotel.

The bistro will offer 175 seats, and the décor will have a European feel. Indoor and outdoor seating will be available, and the menu will feature American and French cuisine. The market, a new concept for the restaurant group, will offer groceries and packaged meals.
Wayne State Physician Group Rebrands, Opens Medical Facility in Midtown

Quote:
The new center, called 400 Mack Detroit Health Center (400 Mack Avenue, south side of Mack between Brush and St. Antoine streets), will offer primary and preventive health services including internal medicine, family medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, and behavioral health. Another WSU partner organization, Wayne Pediatrics, is co-locating clinical services for children at the location, offering care across the lifecycle at the new 50,000-square-foot facility.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
I believe all that's been announced is that it'll be in the 10-12 story range and will incorporate the 2 story building on site. The first two floors of the garage will have retail space.
As of this past March, the HDC has not yet approved a plan for 1201 Washington, but the 1249 - 1265 Washington Blvd General Rehab -- Staff Report - Book Development they put out shows detail of the proposed modifications of the Book Building/Tower.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SperamusMeliora View Post
As of this past March, the HDC has not yet approved a plan for 1201 Washington, but the 1249 - 1265 Washington Blvd General Rehab -- Staff Report - Book Development they put out shows detail of the proposed modifications of the Book Building/Tower.
Thanks for posting that! Tons of interesting new information there.

This document from 2017 has a conceptual massing of the garage on page 57.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 4:13 AM

Wow, a lot of info indeed! But I thought Bedrock doesn't have any planzz!!!11!!

Looks like they're just gonna use cityclub's parking? I'd rather a new garage not be built so it looks good to me.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 2:45 AM

The crane going up outside the Book Building must be for the partial 14th floor described in that PDF.

Dilapidated Detroit apartments get rehabbed, rent for $800 a month

Quote:
Some of the most sought-after residences in Detroit's fast-rebounding Brush Park neighborhood are not in an ultramodern Dan Gilbert-owned townhouse development or a sleek new luxury condo complex, but a formerly empty and dilapidated rooming house that was nearly demolished.

The Regina, 253 Erskine, is a three-story apartment building from about the 1940s that is attached to an old brick house. It was said to be a rooming house for many years, but by the late 1980s or perhaps even earlier, the building had emptied out and was sliding into disrepair.

David Camilleri, 58, a portrait artist and immigrant from the island of Malta, moved to Detroit and bought the ramshackle Regina shortly before Christmas 2015 for $525,000. The sale price included an empty neighboring lot.

He was one of the few who saw any future in the dilapidated building. Or what was left of the building.

"There were holes in the floors — absolutely nothing salvageable whatsoever," recalled Ryan Cooley of O'Connor Real Estate, the broker on the sale. "So every inch of that place has been redone.”

Historic Detroit church completes three years' worth of repairs with help from community

Quote:
Three years ago, the 130-year-old Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church on Detroit’s east side was forced to repair or remove its two steeples or the city would condemn the building.

The cost to fix the problem would have left the parish devastated.

The 130-year-old Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church faced an unfortunate fate three years ago when its two steeples started falling apart.

To restore the spires, it would have cost $2.5 million. The estimate to remove them: $765,000.

If the church didn’t have enough money to do either, it could have been condemned by the city.

“We saved part of Detroit’s skyline.”

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 10:32 PM

The annual update meeting for The Mid was held on September 17th. The master plan remains unchanged with construction to begin in June 2021.

Historic Detroit Free Press Building Opens Residential Leasing, Includes Rooftop Pool

Quote:
The former Detroit Free Press Building in downtown Detroit will take on a new name when it opens next month following its conversion into 105 residential apartments along with numerous amenities. The building is being developed by Bedrock, the full-service real estate group owned by Dan Gilbert.

The historic structure, designed by renowned Detroit architect Albert Kahn, will be called The Press/321 (321 W. Lafayette Blvd.). The apartments range from studios to three-bedroom units and will be complemented by the Midwest’s first fully automated parking system, a rooftop pool with a sundeck and gas grills, and a state-of-of-the-art fitness center.

Other amenities will include a community work lounge, a conference room, fiber internet, and bike storage. Each apartment will offer expansive windows, stainless steel appliances, an accent wall, and picturesque archways. Studios start at $995 with move-ins beginning in mid-October of this year.

Community lounge

All renderings from here.

The Atlas Lofts poised to rise near Eastern Market

Quote:
The Eastern Market neighborhood will get new residential units with the $7 million conversion of 1440 Gratiot into a development named The Atlas Lofts.

The six-story building, owned by FIRM real estate, was constructed in the 1920s and formerly housed Atlas Furniture Co. The project will include 30 residential loft style units ranging from 360 to 1,300 square feet. There are four ground floor retail spaces that will range from 630 to 1,000 square feet.

Renovation work is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2021 and be complete in spring 2022. Detroit-based design firm Rossetti says the project will blend the history of the neighborhood with modern and stylish architecture.

Bedrock Sakthi purchase includes former Southwestern High School

Quote:
Dan Gilbert's Bedrock real estate arm has purchased the vacant Southwestern High School as part of its acquisition of the former Sakthi Industrial Campus along West Fort, officials confirmed Wednesday.

The school at 6921 W. Fort Street has been closed since 2012 and had fallen into a state of disrepair. The building sits in the same block as the former Sakthi Automotive Group USA plant and is part of Bedrock's purchase of the 37-acre site that includes 529,000 square feet of industrial and manufacturing space, 89,000 square feet of office and flex space.

City to pay to remove dangerous lead from some southwest Detroit homes. Here's how to apply

Quote:
Residents who live in southwest Detroit can now apply to have lead-based paint removed from their homes for free, the city of Detroit announced Thursday.

The city plans to enroll 455 households in the 48209 ZIP code area into the program over five years. Households with children under 6 years old, with a pregnant mother or with children who have tested positive for lead will be prioritized, according to a news release. Residents can get up to $25,000 in repairs per home.

The 48209 ZIP code area in southwest Detroit was chosen because a majority of homes were built before lead-based paint was banned and there is a high number of low-income families and children under 6 living there. It is bound by Vernor Highway to the north, Woodmere to the west, Livernois to the east and I-75 to the south.
Resilient Neighborhoods: These two nonprofits are bringing youth-driven spaces to SW Detroit

Quote:
A couple of years ago, Stephanie Segura, 18, wasn't doing a whole lot outside of going to school and hanging out with her friends. But then, in 2018, the young Southwest Detroiter got involved with a local community organization called Congress of Communities (COC), and the impact it's had on her has been transformative.

"When I got involved with COC, so many opportunities started opening up," she says. "I became more open to seeing the world differently, and I learned about social justice issues, race, and ethnicity, which are important topics I feel are not really discussed at school."

Based in Southwest Detroit, Congress of Communities is a nonprofit advocacy group focused on education and public safety issues and uplifting the voices of local residents. Founded in 2010, it originally came together through a community organizing effort aimed at bringing together the area's diverse residents and stakeholders and fostering cross-community collaboration.

Future youth center

Future youth hub and retail space

Highland Park eco-village raises funds for solar-powered streetlights and free public Wi-Fi network

Quote:
It was in 2011 when Highland Park had its streetlights repossessed by DTE Energy, allowing the city to avoid paying $4 million in unpaid debts.

Now Avalon Village, an eco-village within the city, is taking matters into its own hands.

Avalon Village along with partners Soulardarity and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation have launched a crowdfunding campaign to install five solar-powered streetlights along Avalon Street in Highland Park.

What’s more, the streetlights will provide the neighborhood a free public mesh Wi-Fi network.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:33 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations