HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Moving forward, maybe I’ll still comment in the Via thread in the Ottawa Subsection because I really believe we can pull HFR off between TO, OTT and MTL. Well, that’s if TrueNorth00 & roger1818 deem me welcomed there. Otherwise, I’m just gonna stick to highways from here on.
We have other forums where we interact with Urban,_Sky. I've messaged him and told him to stick with those and stop wasting his time here. There's no point with the Ottawa VIA forum because swimmer does that over there too. Best to leave the VIA discussions off SSP entirely.

I don't begrudge swimmer_spe his views. I'm certainly sympathetic to many of them. But I sick of relitigating the same bullshit over and over again. Really, what has anybody gained the last 30 pages? This is my last post on this thread. You guys enjoy.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:20 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’m that late to the game eh? I can sort of see why you guys think I’m adding fuel to the fire now.
Well I’m probably refraining from discussing VIA too because I can’t do highway and rail at the same time. I’ve been too invested in the former.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:33 PM

Is this Skyscraper Page or Redit? Can we please stop the personal attacks and talk about VIA Rail? There has been more mud slinging in the past couple pages than in a US Election.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
Thank you for expressing your contempt for those bothering to do some research before posting and for demonstrating that you grasp just as little about mental health issues as you do about the other topics you write about here (every one or two months). That said, credit where credit is due: the various threads in this forum concerning VIA Rail would be a much less frustrating place if the ability to critically reflect on the incremental value one’s own contributions add to the discussion was more equally distributed.
Yes, it's the reason why I called you out on it. You're lack of self-awareness is so obvious. Too bad you can't say how difficult it is interacting with you.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Jeez this thread has become such a train wreck (pardon the pun lol). The last time I checked in, the same basic disagreements were happening but everyone seemed to be happy enough and were chatting away so even though it didn't seem to be going anywhere to me I said "hey, if they're enjoying it and feel they're getting something out of it, then all the power to them. Not my cup of tea, but god bless." Fast forward several months, and a few people have grown so tired and frustrated by the same circular discussions that they're basically begging and pleading with others to stop, name calling, etc. as if they have no personal agency and the only way they can be freed from the cycle is for someone else to release them. Basically as long as there are people on the internet saying things they disagree with they're obliged to keep engaging.

You all have complete, 100% control in your participation in any such discussion. If you're not enjoying it (or if it isn't at least serving some sort of purpose for you) then stop. Just. Don't. Reply. You can still talk to others about other things even while ignoring posts you're not interested in. Don't demand and plead that the other person stop and try to control their behaviour because if they're getting something out of it there's no reason for them to stop on your behalf. As long as you're continuing to actively engage in a discussion then own that decision. The horse is dead guys. The autopsy results state cause of death as boredom and sheer frustration.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:48 PM
BANNED

I work 1 night shift, and this place goes crazy... all over me and my ideas. I never knew I could have such power over everyone. Maybe I am CEO material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolworm View Post
I certainly hope you're part of those complainers, because Edmonton's Via station is shameful. Thankfully, chances are it will be demolished and relocated as part of the Yellowhead freeway project - hopefully to somewhere with better connections.
I don't think I have ever suggested that station is good. The only good thing is it already exists with existing service using it. Ideally, the station should be connected to one of Edmonton's LRT stations. It would be nice to see what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I don't get the angle that thinking certain ideas are unrealistic makes someone opposed to an idea.

I think High Speed Rail from Toronto to Montreal is unrealistic for at least the next decade. Does not mean I'm not supportive of it.

And personally, I want less dreaming and more delivering. I'm sick of decades of talk and very little in the way of legitimate improvements.
HSR likely would work. The problem is the funding. Actually, the reason a place like Calgary lost rail, or we have pitiful schedules, or poor equipment is funding. The federal governments do not want to fund Via, and this is what we are left with. Maybe the construction of HFR will reinvigorate the political discussion over rail. Maybe the fear of catching something on a plane will see the government invest in rail. Maybe 50 years from now, all that is left iss the Corridor between Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal.

I'll say it again. The demise of Via is not usage or funding. It is politics.

Quote:
Nah. I like that he brought the receipts. I'm sick of dudes popping in, every five fucking pages to defend swimmer_spe and restart the cycle of bullshit.

But I guess there's the cue to end the discussion on VIA Rail. Because this thread is going to be dedicated to swimmer_spe's personal rail fantasies.

@urban_sky. The people have spoken. I'm out. Suggest you move on too. Let them have their circle jerk.
Is it a fantasy or is it forward thinking? If you don't want to think about the future, please, close the door on your way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTrans View Post
Well this just about sums you up about what you think of people in general. This is a discussion, not a sand box where you can tell who plays and take your toys home if you don't get your way. Your divide and conquer to build groups you claim support you and discount other so called groups that disagree in part with you is not of service to anyone. If you re-read your earlier posts you were respectful of other people's opinions when you first started posting. Recently you have descended into name calling, issuing derogatory remarks, like "moron" and bashing religious groups which have no basis here whether you like them or not. I don't know if some of this is academic snobbery because a lot of us may not have the same level of education but everyone has a right to offer an opinion regardless of what yours is on this thread as long as they are on subject. In many respects we may be just as educated as yourself. The last time I checked a site named Via Rail should be including discussions about rail service in the WHOLE country.

In closing I would rather be commenting on something related to rail rather than your personal issues. Take a break for a while, get a life and then come back the way you were originally. Please.
So, how do we improve rail outside the Corridor?

Quote:
We have other forums where we interact with Urban,_Sky. I've messaged him and told him to stick with those and stop wasting his time here. There's no point with the Ottawa VIA forum because swimmer does that over there too. Best to leave the VIA discussions off SSP entirely.

I don't begrudge swimmer_spe his views. I'm certainly sympathetic to many of them. But I sick of relitigating the same bullshit over and over again. Really, what has anybody gained the last 30 pages? This is my last post on this thread. You guys enjoy.
I am following many of these forums, but I only post regularly in a few. Generally, that is because I can add something positive to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Is this Skyscraper Page or Redit? Can we please stop the personal attacks and talk about VIA Rail? There has been more mud slinging in the past couple pages than in a US Election.
Go back through this 30 page train wreck. No matter what someone says, Urbansky likes to shut it down quickly. It is almost like we were in China talking about their government. I have found it less stressful to simply "ignore user". I only see when other quote him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Jeez this thread has become such a train wreck (pardon the pun lol). The last time I checked in, the same basic disagreements were happening but everyone seemed to be happy enough and were chatting away so even though it didn't seem to be going anywhere to me I said "hey, if they're enjoying it and feel they're getting something out of it, then all the power to them. Not my cup of tea, but god bless." Fast forward several months, and a few people have grown so tired and frustrated by the same circular discussions that they're basically begging and pleading with others to stop, name calling, etc. as if they have no personal agency and the only way they can be freed from the cycle is for someone else to release them. Basically as long as there are people on the internet saying things they disagree with they're obliged to keep engaging.

You all have complete, 100% control in your participation in any such discussion. If you're not enjoying it (or if it isn't at least serving some sort of purpose for you) then stop. Just. Don't. Reply. You can still talk to others about other things even while ignoring posts you're not interested in. Don't demand and plead that the other person stop and try to control their behaviour because if they're getting something out of it there's no reason for them to stop on your behalf. As long as you're continuing to actively engage in a discussion then own that decision. The horse is dead guys. The autopsy results state cause of death as boredom and sheer frustration.
Agreed.
Any news on solutions to the change in Halifax with the Ocean?

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 6:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

ignoring the train wreck (which I only skimmed through) that is this thread, I find that I agree with Truenorth about the present day futility or wishful thinking for HSR in the corridor. We have been talking about this since the seventies. Every time I get my hopes up, they are dashed with a change of government or government priorities.

Via isn't entirely blameless for the terrible state of passenger rail service in Canada, but it is not the real reason for this state of affairs, which I lay at the feet of dithering politicians, pork barrel politics, and grotesque budget cuts),

As an infrastructure works project to help get the economy moving again (assuming there was some room for budgeting) I would propose a complete reorganization of its routes, to focus on providing an alternative way to move Canadians, in such corridors that are viable in the long run.

It goes without saying that half of the service belongs in the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor, with 75% in the extended corridor (Quebec City to Windsor). Dedicated tracks should be the upmost priority, with plans to eventually upgrade to HSR. From 6am to 10pm, Trains should be run every hour at minimum between Montreal and Toronto, and every 1-3 hours in the extended corridor; of which both should be at least half comprised of express routes (direct Mtl-Ott-Tor, direct London-KW-Toronto, Windsor-London-Hamilton-Tor, etc.). There is little attraction for busy people who can otherwise fly or drive to take the fucking milk run that stops in every burg along the way.

Outside of the corridor, the business case for regular services is scant for all but a few corridors. Calgary-Edmonton, to me, looks like the most viable (again with dedicated tracks) for intense service.

Is there a sound business case for intensive train runs between Calgary and Vancouver, or between Edmonton and Vancouver? I am not sure that there is, given the distance and number of potential travelers. Ditto for Winnipeg and Calgary/Edmonton. And for the runs out to Atlantic Canada. Not to mention the silly routes between Senneterre and wherever, and between Sudbury and White River. The Churchill to Winnipeg route is just a money pit for Via.

I like the idea of train travel between adjacent American and Canadian cities. Twice or thrice daily express trains between Vancouver-Seattle-Portland. Between Toronto-Detroit-Chicago. Between Montreal-Albany-New York City.

Everyone probably loves the idea of the transnational passenger rail service. But it is not financially viable, and basically serves the tourist trade. I would love for such a service to be maintained (even if it is not transcontinental, as the farthest east one can board without transfer is Toronto), for nostalgia and some cobwebby ideas about national unity, but is this realistic?

Right now VIA is offering up the worst of both worlds, trying to service too many nonviable routes, with very poor frequencies (aside from MTL-TOR), without much hope for improvement.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 7:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Everyone probably loves the idea of the transnational passenger rail service. But it is not financially viable, and basically serves the tourist trade. I would love for such a service to be maintained (even if it is not transcontinental, as the farthest east one can board without transfer is Toronto), for nostalgia and some cobwebby ideas about national unity, but is this realistic?
I consider the transcontinental services to be legacy services and should be maintained ( for their historical context, for tourism and for nation building).

I think both the Canadian and the Ocean should be daily services. Otherwise I only have a few suggestions:

1) - The Ocean should switch to the CNR mainline through NB, from Moncton to Grand Falls and Edmundston, rather than along the Baie des Chaleur and Matapedia Valley. The track is better maintained and higher speeds would be possible, probably lopping at least 2-3 hours off the service to central Canada.
2) - I would make Toronto the western terminus of the Ocean rather than Montreal. The main reason for this is for tourists wanting to do the whole trans Canadian thing by rail. If they only have to switch trains once in Toronto, then this would be ideal.
3) - As for the Canadian, if we had daily service, I wonder if you could alternate (on a daily basis) between a northern route via Edmonton/Jasper and a southern route via Calgary/Banff. This would seem more equitable.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
Have you noticed something? I revived the thread, which then developed into a discussion about why there are multiple threads and whether we should merge or rename them and then *zoom* swimmer_spe jumps in and instantly makes this a discussion about bringing back daily passenger rail to Western Canada. This is exactly what happens again-and-again in his thread, just that it doesn’t usually take 11 posts and 7 days before he hijacks the topic. And I never said this discussion should not be had, if you had actually bothered reading the post I quoted, you would have seen that I even created a thread entirely dedicated to this topic:

Unfortunately, this highlights the problem I keep having with you and other posters here or in swimmer_spe's "VIA Rail" thread: that they for most of the time can't be bothered to participate in the discussions with and around swimmer_spe, but immediately cry foul when someone dares to doubt the value which his relentless repeating of his long-debunked nonsense brings.

You might see how frustrated I am at this the never-ending back-and-forth in that thread by the fact that I track all posts in a spreadsheet, but this allows me at how much the people who keep criticizing me actually bother to contribute to the discussion. And in your case, your participation has fallen from 42 posts in the last 5 weeks of 2019 (out of 455 posts, thus 9.2%) to a mere 9 posts in the first five months of 2020 (out of 980 posts, thus 0.9%):

And let’s have a look at these 9 posts:
  1. In post #783, you insist that Edmonton-Calgary should be reinstated (i.e. even before any infrastructure projects can be funded and completed, which would be required to make such a service commercially viable against the existing competition of cars and buses) and that the Canadian should be re-routed between Edmonton and North Battleford (i.e. a route, which is mostly "dark [i.e. unsignalled] territory" hasn't seen a passenger train in a half-century and lacks the track speeds and sidings to operate the Canadian at any comparable service level to the CN mainline).
  2. In post #888 you side with Swimmer_Spe against my defense of the “remote services” because both of you claim that Western cities along the Trans-Canada Highway deserve daily intercity passenger rail service at least as much as remote communities (i.e. communities without year-round ground transportation access) deserve their three-times-per week essential service.
  3. In post #890, you respond to milomilo that "You cannot in any way justify the existence of other Via Rail services but not this one [Calgary to Winnipeg or Calgary to Edmonton]."
  4. In post #993, you respond to Truenorth00 that "Calgary to Winnipeg is a no brainer".
  5. In post #1157, you attack me in a long rant after I told "jawagord" that I won't reply to his posts for as long as he resorts to the obnoxious over-formatting of a recent Kindergarden graduate and after I reminded swimmer_spe of his promise to leave the discussion, to which swimmer_spe applauds you with "Thank you. Someone gets it."
  6. In post #1160, you make almost exactly the same claims as in post#783, just with the additional demand that this takes place "as soon as possible" and by repeating the some conspiracy theories ("Keep in mind that the contrary to what Urban Sky says, a lot of the decision making was concerned with politics and the idea that the southern prairies had more bus service alternatives.") about the 1990 cuts.
  7. In post #1163, you use the quote "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" on me, even though it was me who repeatedly laid down why none of the conspiracy theories about why the CP route (and other services were cut in 1990) can be sustained with facts.
  8. In post #1276, you chime into the discussion about the seat arrangements of VIA's new fleet and about possible push-pull scenarios of the Ocean after the Halterm loop becomes unavailable, while noting that "With respect to the locomotives, the Northlander ran for a short time in push/pull configuration".
  9. Finally, in post #1399, you speculate that "the Liberals could easily get rid of the western services as there is no political fallout for them."
Given that eight out of the 9 posts you wrote this year concerned the existence or absence of VIA services in Western Canada, what is the reason why you don't seem to talk about anything else? And if you find his contributions so valuable, how come you can only be bothered to contribute when someone dares to doubt the value his incessant and ever-repeating posts add to the discussion?

The other posters who defend him here are by no means better, take Djeffery, for instance:
  • In post #754, he wonders why there is no rail service between Calgary and Edmonton.
  • In post #1039, he suggests that Onex (a Toronto-based investment manager responsible for more than US$30 billion in assets) should get involved in a Calgary-Edmonton rail project.
  • In post #1270, he criticizes me for providing definitions to differentiate between "bidirectional operations" (any form of operations which allows to change direction without physically turning the entire train) and "Push-Pull operations" (a special form of bidirectional operations, in which there is a locomotive at either end of the train) before answering a question.
  • In post #1280, he looks back at when the LRC fleet was presented to the public and muses at how modern they still look even in their fourth decade of operations.
  • In post #1300, he takes offense by drawing the comparison between continuing to respond to swimmer_spe's posts and to feeding a wild animal, which will always come back for me and never let you in peace.
That's five posts in the last 34 pages, two of which concern Western Canada, two back swimmer_spe by attacking me and only one pertains a different topic.

Then, there is p_xavier, whose backing of swimmer_spe by attacking me for my wild animal comparison is his only post in the last 21 pages:

Just to provide a sample of the quality of his posts, this was his last post before the one above (i.e. 15 pages before that):

Finally, there is Dengler_Avenue, who also has only posted seven words in the last 21 pages:

Please correct me if I forgot something, but I don't recall anyone else showing any form of appreciation for swimmer_spe's relentless posting.

If you, Djeffery, p_xavier and Dengler_Avenue find swimmer_spe's contributions so valuable that you jump on me every time I doubt his value, then why have all four of you been so absent during the last 10-20 pages of discussions? Just to recall, this is the post count since page 51, i.e. over the last 21 pages of discussion:
  1. swimmer_spe: 108 posts
  2. milomilo: 64 posts
  3. Truenorth00: 52 posts
  4. Urban_Sky: 43 posts
  5. roger1818: 40 posts
  6. j81: 34 posts
  7. esquire: 23 posts
  8. ghYHZ: 17 posts
  9. GoTrans: 5 posts
  10. Djeffery, Acajack and someone123: 4 posts (each)
    [...]
    17. Dengler Avenue and p_xavier: 1 post (each)

I don't blame you if you get tired of the endless repetition of the same nonsense, but if you already can't be bothered to contribute anything substantial or constructive to this discussion, then please don't sabotage the efforts of people like Truenorth00, milomilo, Roger1818 or myself (i.e. the people who actually still bother investing time and effort into the discussion) by encouraging him to spam even more as he already does and by pretending that you actually care about the points he's making (your lack of participation clearly shows none of you four does).

And finally, rather than whining around about how unfair your spammer-friend is treated while sabotaging our efforts to contain his compulsive spamming, what about providing constructive suggestions about how we can maintain a discussion about VIA Rail in any thread (existing or new) on Skyscraper Page, which won't get hijacked with the Western-Canada-daily-intercity-rail-garbage your spammer-friend has been dumping on us over 72 pages of discussion by now (and he seems determined to continue here)?

So now, if someone could please tell spammer_moron to go back to his troll thread before he also ruins this thread, we might actually be able to discuss here about something else than whether or not intercity trains nobody wants to pay for should operate all over Western Canada and without being forced to try to argue with a moron who will rather escalate the thread over ten-thousand pages than reconsider his views which are even more entrenched in his head than the religious beliefs of a Scientologist or Yehova’s witness...

Thank you!
This is the wackiest thing I've ever seen in any forum anywhere. Even in the weirder corners or Reddit I have not seen someone tally up a user's posts and word count, including from other forums

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 9:14 PM

î
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar777 View Post
This is the wackiest thing I've ever seen in any forum anywhere. Even in the weirder corners or Reddit I have not seen someone tally up a user's posts and word count, including from other forums
This kind of reaction is so creepy that's why I called him out. I actually got protection from the RCMP from a poster on another forum. Mental illness is a thing unfortunately. I got death threats because I had said that the REM was a good transit project. Death threats And doxxing is indeed a thing.

Last edited by p_xavier; May 20, 2020 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I consider the transcontinental services to be legacy services and should be maintained ( for their historical context, for tourism and for nation building).

I think both the Canadian and the Ocean should be daily services. Otherwise I only have a few suggestions:

1) - The Ocean should switch to the CNR mainline through NB, from Moncton to Grand Falls and Edmundston, rather than along the Baie des Chaleur and Matapedia Valley. The track is better maintained and higher speeds would be possible, probably lopping at least 2-3 hours off the service to central Canada.
2) - I would make Toronto the western terminus of the Ocean rather than Montreal. The main reason for this is for tourists wanting to do the whole trans Canadian thing by rail. If they only have to switch trains once in Toronto, then this would be ideal.
3) - As for the Canadian, if we had daily service, I wonder if you could alternate (on a daily basis) between a northern route via Edmonton/Jasper and a southern route via Calgary/Banff. This would seem more equitable.
I approve of this message. The Matapedia/Acadia segment of the Ocean is why I don't do it by train anymore. It's does not have magnificient views (Rogersville, really?), plus the speed is killing me. At least with the Canadian, there's interesting panorama all the way.

Last edited by p_xavier; May 20, 2020 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
I approve of this message. The Matapedia/Acadia segment of the Ocean is why I don't do it by train anymore. It's does not have magnificient views (Rogersville, really?), plus the speed is killing me. At least with the Canadian, there's interesting panorama all the way.
Really? Thats why you dont take the Ocean? Have any of you been on the CNRs mainline from Pacific jct to Edmundston? Didnt think so. Its a barren wasteland of endless clear cuts! Just what a train load of tourists want to see! Oh yea and great idea moving the train away from the population bases that actually use it and move it to a route where nobody will use it! SMH.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I post this with trepidation as many people will say, here we go again. I think we need to consider all possibilities and ultimately an origin/destination survey needs to be done to determine what current day ridership might be. Ridership levels are the key to whether the revenue will be adequate to make the service sustainable.

I agree with you in general but think that at a minimum the service should be 6 days per week. I disagree with you on the Canadian because the route is too long and the train cannot adhere to the schedule. This is supported by by the on time performance of the Canadian. It is also difficult to make the timing useful for many stations. This is why I propose daily regional service with DMU's for day trips and/or short trains for overnight trips that could link with a service between Toronto and Winnipeg and between Vancouver and Edmonton/Calgary. If a stopover was timed to reliably meet with a connecting regional train, transcontinental service would be provided but not on a single train.

It is a fact that the southern CPR route has higher populations than the northern route through all the provinces, and that the more northern route via Lloydminster and North Battleford have a higher population than the CN mainline route that some posters here deny. I am more concerned about providing service to Canadians than I am to foreign tourists. This is where some nation building is required as you suggest.

In Northern Ontario I would route the Canadian via Thunder Bay 4 or 5 days a week and via the CN mainline 2 days a week. With this routing you may be able to cancel the RDC service between Sudbury and White River depending upon scheduling. All trains would start or end in Winnipeg.

In order to make almost any service on the private railway's mainlines viable the government needs to enact enabling legislation to give Via's trains higher priority and penalize them when they don't.

I would also, in the long term route the Canadian at Washago via Orillia and Barrie to connect to Toronto. This route needs to be re-established. If the Northlander was in operation again there would probably be sufficient passenger train traffic between Barrie and Washago to pay for the line. This route adds more centres with a higher order of population. If the Chippewas of Rama don't allow for re-construction of the line, the train could continue on CP from South Parry to Utopia and access the Barrie Collingwood Railway and ultimately Go Transit from Barrie to Toronto. This would put Orillia at a disadvantage.

The other infrastructure project that needs to be done is to provide access in Sudbury to the CP station for the Canadian in the city and abandon the stop in the relative wilderness of Sudbury Junction on the CN mainline. Operationally you could tow the train backwards from Toronto to Sudbury and wye the locomotives in Sudbury and position them at the front of the train to continue the train west. The reverse would happen with eastbound trains.

These ideas are what could happen in a perfect world. I don't call this fantasy but a road map going forward. Don't say that this can't happen. Say it should happen. We need to generate data to see if these ideas are supportable.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I post this with trepidation as many people will say, here we go again. I think we need to consider all possibilities and ultimately an origin/destination survey needs to be done to determine what current day ridership might be. Ridership levels are the key to whether the revenue will be adequate to make the service sustainable.

I agree with you in general but think that at a minimum the service should be 6 days per week. I disagree with you on the Canadian because the route is too long and the train cannot adhere to the schedule. This is supported by by the on time performance of the Canadian. It is also difficult to make the timing useful for many stations. This is why I propose daily regional service with DMU's for day trips and/or short trains for overnight trips that could link with a service between Toronto and Winnipeg and between Vancouver and Edmonton/Calgary. If a stopover was timed to reliably meet with a connecting regional train, transcontinental service would be provided but not on a single train.
This is why a truncation in Winnipeg would work better. Think of it like how the Corridor does things. The Corridor is not one route, but a service area. Just like the Corridor has the cities of Windsor, Sarnia, London, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City, the Canadian could have the cities of Toronto, Sudbury, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Prince Rupert, and Vancouver. Trains could be organized the same way as the Corridor, based on ridership.

Quote:
It is a fact that the southern CPR route has higher populations than the northern route through all the provinces, and that the more northern route via Lloydminster and North Battleford have a higher population than the CN mainline route that some posters here deny. I am more concerned about providing service to Canadians than I am to foreign tourists. This is where some nation building is required as you suggest.
It would be a good start to alternate between those routes, even if each were served 2x a week both ways. Saying each should be 6x a week might be overkill.

Quote:
In Northern Ontario I would route the Canadian via Thunder Bay 4 or 5 days a week and via the CN mainline 2 days a week. With this routing you may be able to cancel the RDC service between Sudbury and White River depending upon scheduling. All trains would start or end in Winnipeg.

In order to make almost any service on the private railway's mainlines viable the government needs to enact enabling legislation to give Via's trains higher priority and penalize them when they don't.
I would add a way to go through SSM. Maybe, like the Prairies, we have 3 routes that are 2x a week. As one section gets busy, they can add another train per week.

Quote:
I would also, in the long term route the Canadian at Washago via Orillia and Barrie to connect to Toronto. This route needs to be re-established. If the Northlander was in operation again there would probably be sufficient passenger train traffic between Barrie and Washago to pay for the line. This route adds more centres with a higher order of population. If the Chippewas of Rama don't allow for re-construction of the line, the train could continue on CP from South Parry to Utopia and access the Barrie Collingwood Railway and ultimately Go Transit from Barrie to Toronto. This would put Orillia at a disadvantage.
The problem is not the Rama area. The real problem is the Barrie area. The ROW is gone. Possibly a new route is found that can connect to where the Allendale Waterfront GO station is. In fact, if you want to win over the Rama people, put a station across from the Casino.

Quote:
The other infrastructure project that needs to be done is to provide access in Sudbury to the CP station for the Canadian in the city and abandon the stop in the relative wilderness of Sudbury Junction on the CN mainline. Operationally you could tow the train backwards from Toronto to Sudbury and wye the locomotives in Sudbury and position them at the front of the train to continue the train west. The reverse would happen with eastbound trains.
Both Sudbury downtown and Capreol have wyes. I do not know if the Canadian can go in revers, but, going to the downtown station, if then going on the CN westbound, would simply mean using the wye downtown. No need to go backwards.

Quote:
These ideas are what could happen in a perfect world. I don't call this fantasy but a road map going forward. Don't say that this can't happen. Say it should happen. We need to generate data to see if these ideas are supportable.
I am in the process of working on that kind of data. Send me a PM if you wish to help. I wish others thought like you, then we might have the will to change things for the better of all of us.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:23 AM

Improving all of those long distance routes is a waste of time, money and energy that could be spent on shorter, higher demand routes that justify rail service. That's all there is to it. VIA never will do what you want, because it is a bad idea and the sooner you accept that the sooner more interesting discussion of what is feasible can be had.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Improving all of those long distance routes is a waste of time, money and energy that could be spent on shorter, higher demand routes that justify rail service. That's all there is to it. VIA never will do what you want, because it is a bad idea and the sooner you accept that the sooner more interesting discussion of what is feasible can be had.
After meeting someone who works for them here, I hate to agree with you. They would need the government to mandate it to do it. Doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it and figure out a way to sway the government to act on it.

Mind you, if they added new routes, like the Calgary-Edmonton corridor, then it still is doing some good, and doing thins I would agree with. Lets go after the low hanging fruit. Lets then build the other routes as they become low hanging.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:33 AM

There is no real low hanging fruit, but the lowest would be the route that requires the least subsidy right now and the name of that project has three letters.

I guess the other low lying fruit would be to scrap all the routes that will never be even close to profitable, but VIA is forced to waste money on those routes by the government.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
There is no real low hanging fruit, but the lowest would be the route that requires the least subsidy right now and the name of that project has three letters.

I guess the other low lying fruit would be to scrap all the routes that will never be even close to profitable, but VIA is forced to waste money on those routes by the government.
I mean outside of that. Where else would there be a high ridership, even if it was on "slow" freight subdivisions...

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I mean outside of that. Where else would there be a high ridership, even if it was on "slow" freight subdivisions...
Nowhere, without large investment.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Nowhere, without large investment.
Define "large investment"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada