HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 2:08 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post

^this is the famous pool for rich nobs, was it frozen?

From the snow on the ground I know what week you visited - the city was a ghost town due to train strikes
It wasn't cold enough to turn that bourgeois pool into a block of ice.

Although there were train strikes all throughout December and January, some lines into the outer parts of London continued running, albeit at lower frequencies. I wasn't too badly affected by the strikes so when the weather was good, my travel plan continued.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 2:09 AM
Hong Kong

Fulham Palace has been home of London's bishops since the 8th century. The current building dates back to the 13th century although it has been remodelled a number of times depending on the occupants. Today, it is a free museum that is worth taking a peek if you are in the area.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/london.htm

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 6:30 PM

Man, I love London so much. Can't wait to go back. Thanks for sharing

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:53 PM
Hong Kong

The Thames Path stretches 79.5 miles along both sides of the river in London, passing through a number of key attractions such as Parliament, Canary Wharf, and the Thames Barrier. In this section, I walked along the South Bank from Putney to the Battersea Railway Bridge.

This section is mostly residential with many relatively new developments along the riverfront. It is quite serene although there are a few disruptions where I had to detour away from the river briefly.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 6:41 PM
Hong Kong

Belgravia was developed by the Marquess of Westminster in the early 19th century and has been home to the rich and famous since. With long rows of Regency-style terraced homes coupled with wrough-iron balconies and white facades, the area has gotten on the radar of today's ultra high net worth tycoons. There are also many private gardens and mews houses in the area. Ironically, before the rich came, this area of London was marshland and home to thieves.

Cadogan Place is one of these private gardens with grand homes surrounding it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:51 AM
Hong Kong

A nice residential area of otherwise middle class architecture, Notting Hill was once a slum and witnessed race riots in the late 1950s. Ethnic tensions have eased and gentrification has transformed the district. Besides the Carnival, the architecture is worth a visit.

I start my walking tour around Hillgate Place, where homeowners have painted their exterior walls in all sorts of colours. It seems they worked together to make sure there are no repeats.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 1:47 AM
Hong Kong

Trying to get away from Notting Hill's crowds, I veered away and headed to a more upscale part of the district around Ladbroke Grove. These few streets are residential with no shops to attract tourists.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 2:15 AM
Hong Kong

The village of Kensington was once famous for its clean country air. It attracted royalty to settle here when William III and Mary II chose this location for their retreat in the late 17th century. After the Underground station opened in 1868, developers flocked here to build fancy homes and a busy shopping area emerged around High Street.

Construction of the Barkers building started in the 1930s and stopped during World War II, only to complete during the 1950s. The department store has closed and there are plans to redevelop the site although other retailers currently occupy the space. Unfortunately, the rooftop garden has also closed.

As the area grew during the 18th and 19th centuries, there was a need to expand and rebuild St. Mary Abbots. The current building is a reconstruction on the same site that was commissioned in 1868 and consecrated in 1872, with the spire and tower coming over 7 years later.

Located south of the former department store, Kensington Square was laid out in the 1680s. After Kensington Palace was built, this became an important location, and the bohemians followed.

As I walked along Addison Road towards Notting Hill, I noticed Debenham House, which unfortunately is not open to the public. It was built for the department store family of the same name with peacock blue and emerald green tiles and bricks.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 2:37 PM
Hong Kong

London has no shortage of wonderful world-class museums that are free to visit. On a rainy Sunday, I made the trip to South Kensington to enjoy some inspiration.

The V&A Museum's origins go back to the 1851 Great Exhibition. Profits from the event helped fund a district of museums and colleges in South Kensington, with the V&A moving into its present premises in 1857 and later renamed after Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:04 AM
Hong Kong

Carnaby Street was laid out in the late 1600s and was originally a market street in the early 18th century. In the 1950s, this area became a fashionable zone with pop stars visiting its shops, and has since been known as a place to find something new and bold.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 6:12 PM
Hong Kong

Arriving at London Bridge station, the weather didn't turn out to be as nice as forecasted, so I headed to the neighbouring Borough Market where I wouldn't be impacted by the elements. It's now very touristy, which is a huge contrast to the fruit and vegetable market after World War II.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 12:51 AM

My fav eroupean cities: London, Paris, countrysides in France, everyplace in Italy, Hamburg,

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 2:58 AM
Hong Kong

The Albert Memorial was unveiled in 1872 to commemorate Prince Albert, who died from typhoid fever in 1861 aged 42. Marble figures representing the various continents stand on each corner, while Prince Albert holds a catalogue of the 1851 Great Exhibition.

Across the street, Albert Court was built in the 1890s and continues to be a residence for the wealthy today. Famous residents include Howard Carter, the archaeologist who discovered Tutankhamun's tomb.

The Royal Albert Hall was built in 1871 with funds from the 1851 Great Exhibition. A mosaic frieze circles around the building, although the original plan was to put up sculptures, which was not adopted after considering both time and costs. The domed roof was a navigation point used by pilots during the World Wars.

Next door, Imperial College is home to 17,000 students and focuses on science, engineering, medicine, and business. The college was founded in 1907 by combining the Royal College of Science, the Royal School of Mines, and the City & Guilds College.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 4:30 AM
Hong Kong

Greenwich is an easy day trip from Central London, easily accessible by DLR or the rail network. Southeastern's trains from the City or London Bridge take less than 15 minutes to reach Greenwich.

The major attractions are all within walking distance from the train station. My first stop is Greenwich Market, whose history dates back to 1737 when it opened with about 60 stalls, most of whom were butchers. As the market expanded in the 19th century, there was a need to move to a better facility and it came to the present location.

The market is next to the old Royal Naval College, which was once Greenwich Palace from the late 15th century for almost 200 years, witnessing the birth of Henry VIII. Demolished after the English Civil War, Queen Mary II commissioned the construction of a facility to care for retirees from the Royal Navy. Sir Christopher Wren was appointed to the project, and the Royal Hospital for Seamen's grandeur reflects Britain's maritime power.

The site opens up to the Thames for a panoramic view of the Canary Wharf skyline.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:52 AM
Hong Kong

The old Royal Naval College's Chapel sits underneath one of Wren's grand domes and is free to visit with plenty of pastel and plaster decorations.

Greenwich Park is a vast green space that rises up to the Royal Observatory. Once a royal park where Henry VIII introduced deer in the 16th century and site of archery tournaments and sword-fighting competitions, it opened to the public in the 18th century and became popular with Londoners when the trains reached the area.

From the Observatory, you will get the best free view of London's skyscrapers from the City to the O2.

Continuing with my walking tour, save yourself some time from walking back to the DLR station by taking the free foot tunnel across the Thames, which is used by some 1.2 million people a year. It was built in 1902 to provide reliable access to the shipyards and docks on the north side of the river.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 3:58 PM
Hong Kong

The wharves flourished downstream from London Bridge in the 18th century as trade grew. This area was dominated by Butler's Wharf Ltd, which had a long stretch of riverside, with massive warehouses built from the 1870s. They typically reached up to 6 storeys and linked by iron gangways.

By the 1970s, the docks were no longer needed and the buildings fell into disrepair. Turning them into residential use helped save many, which helped preserve the area's character. This area is one of the best remaining examples of 19th century riverside warehouse architecture in the city.

The iron gangways still run above Shad Thames' former warehouses, where workers once traversed with goods from the wharves.

A metallic footbridge crosses St. Saviour's Dock, 400m downstream from Tower Bridge. Early maps show it was a natural inlet and the Thames riverfront was already developed by the 17th century. Leather and associated industries thrived here, while spices from foreign lands were stored. As the area became fashionable to live in thanks to its views and proximity to the City, some of the warehouses underwent conversion and have been preserved.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 3:20 AM
Hong Kong

Located just across the Thames from Parliament, Waterloo is the main railway station serving the western and southwestern suburbs.

The stunning St. Pancras station is home to Eurostar services into the continent, with a decent mall downstairs that is clean and tidy

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 12:48 PM

I used to live in London, and a few years ago I moved to Austin. thanks for the pictures, I was really nostalgic looking at those pictures now.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:25 AM
Hong Kong

Parts of Regent's Canal have become tourist hotspots such as Little Venice. This area at the junction with the Grand Union Canal has new residences, offices, and interesting boats, making it a charming area for a walk. Back in the early 19th century, the government wanted to build new transport links across the country, resulting in these canals that facilitated trade with the Midlands.

My tour begins at the eastern end of Paddington Basin with modern tall towers and ends at Rembrandt Gardens, where grand mansions front a basin with many boats parked along the shore.

Once the modern towers taper off, I saw a lot more small boats parked on both sides of the canal. Some of them looked obviously like homes with even a rooftop sun deck to relax.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 3:25 PM
Hong Kong

The Docklands area was once a busy port with many wharves and where goods from around the world arrived. As the docks closed from the 1960s to the early 1980s, this became a huge regeneration project, and is now home to a large financial district with a lot of residences as well. The Museum of London Docklands is free to roam and explore history in this part of London.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos