HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Everything's in those cables. Do not damage them or you'll pay (literally). haha

But Bell and Rogers own them. Or the conduit and rights at least. It was 360 networks whom originally started putting the cables in. Pretty decent way to run things long distance.

I was recently working on project in the US that involved running HVDC cables in a railway right of way. Was interesting.
360 networks (aka Ledcor) was one of the first to use a rail plow to direct trench as much cable as possible.

I don't know if its still an active fiber line but there was a fiber right of way that was on the abandoned CN Oak Point subdivision and it ran thru the parking lot area where the Canadian Tire, Boston Pizza etc are on St. James St. It went into a small brick building on Ellice at St. James which I noticed is no longer there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:38 AM

Saint Barbershop is taking the retail unit on Waterfront in the new Pump House building. Stoked for those guys, it's gonna be a great active use there – very busy, prominent shop with lots of people coming in and out. Great to see.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:36 PM

Great news about Saint, I was a little worried that they were a casualty of COVID. Always nice when new development can lease space to local businesses.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:33 PM

A block in the exchange has been condemned due to severe structural damage.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
A block in the exchange has been condemned due to severe structural damage.

Is that related to the demolition that was recently completed at the Marketlands across the street?

So I guess this means that English School, Massey Building and Mrs. Browns are all going to be torn down?

If so, that's a damn shame. Wonder where the current occupants could go downtown to find similar square footage at similar rental rates?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 2:10 AM
surely you agree with me

It’s being demolished!!!!!????

Edit. From the miss browns web site.

AS OF JANUARY 24, 2021 WE WILL BE CLOSED AT OUR WILLIAM AVE LOCATION
DUE TO SEVERE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO OUR BUILDING.
WE HOPE TO REOPEN ONCE REPAIRS ARE COMPLETED BUT IN THE MEANTIMEWE WILL BE REOPENING OUR HARGRAVE STREET LOCATION
ASAP FOR TAKE AWAY AND SKIP THE DISHES UNTIL WE CAN RESUME DINE IN!
STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
So I guess this means that English School, Massey Building and Mrs. Browns are all going to be torn down?
Is the English School and the Massey Building also blocked off like the three middle buildings? They seem in far better condition than the three shown in the picture.

My mom worked with someone that had an office in the English School, and he only somewhat jokingly expressed concern that the neighbouring building might collapse due to the PSB demolition across the street.... although he seemed very confident that the building he was in had no problems.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:02 PM

Weren't those Bedford Development AKA Reiss owned buildings?

Looks like they got away with a demolition by neglect. The one building with Miss Browns was at least occupied, but I'm pretty sure the two storey has been vacant for at least 20 years despite having a prime West Exchange location.

It would be a tragedy if the site was left vacant for a long time, but you would think that is a pretty marketable site? But Bedford never seems to be that aggressive when it comes to landing tenants and shining up their properties... isn't the old Reiss Furs shop in their building still vacant after all these years?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 5:27 PM

Omg that's horrible – is it the buildings or the land?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 6:43 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Weren't those Bedford Development AKA Reiss owned buildings?

Looks like they got away with a demolition by neglect. The one building with Miss Browns was at least occupied, but I'm pretty sure the two storey has been vacant for at least 20 years despite having a prime West Exchange location
That one location has been occupied by Miss Browns/Subway for a long time now, the other side of that building was used for storage for... something... They had lots of (what looked like) construction material in there but didn't appear to be constructing anything there or in the area.

I used to go grab lunch there now and then (back when human interaction wasn't dangerous), it seemed like a solid building...

The other building is too bad... for sure demo by neglect. Great little building.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 6:47 PM
surely you agree with me

My guess is it’s the two storey with the failure affecting the one storey. Yes it’s Reiss. Yes. Their giant building is also empty. Unlikely they will fix the two storey in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 8:37 PM

Reiss owns The Massey Bldg next door as well I believe.

With these buildings coming down, they will construct 20 parking stalls as adjacent parking for their tenants. A permitted use by the City in this circumstance.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 8:47 PM

I keep forgetting to post that I see more of the green park space off of Disraeli is being fenced in. Last week there was a permanent fence being installed behind (east) of the Lawson Survey building.

I guess the fence is an attempt by who ever owns the land to keep the homeless camps from setting up there again.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 9:06 PM

Didn't the Subway restaurant have to move out of that building on William because of foundation repairs before Miss Brown's eventually moved in after some work was done?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I keep forgetting to post that I see more of the green park space off of Disraeli is being fenced in. Last week there was a permanent fence being installed behind (east) of the Lawson Survey building.

I guess the fence is an attempt by who ever owns the land to keep the homeless camps from setting up there again.
Yes...

That was a time consuming and difficult process to have the site cleared and fenced..

With no help from the councillor we were finally able to have the senior City staff move to clear the site. (They did a great job). The tiny triangle of land at the corner is owned by the City but controlled by CV. That was the problem as the owners and stakeholders were stuck. A coordinated campaign by the property owners was ultimately successful at least for now.

Lawson unfortunately relocated from the lands he owns because there was no movement for so long... he tried to purchase the adjacent property from the City but our friends at CV stopper that from happening. I guess they are trying to put another land assembly together without consulting the adjacent owners and community...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 10:49 PM
surely you agree with me

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 1, 2021 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 10:51 PM
surely you agree with me

We don’t know those buildings are coming down. Miss Browns indicates they will reopen after it’s fixed.

It won’t become a parking lot. Accessory uses can’t be on separate properties and no property in the Exchange can have more than 20% of its surface be parking.

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 11:13 PM
the first stamp is free

Hopefully they get a reasonable structural consultant in there to check it out.

I know a few.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 12:00 AM
surely you agree with me

They will find the one that says it should be torn down is my guess.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
We don’t know those buildings are coming down. Miss Browns indicates they will reopen after it’s fixed.

It won’t become a parking lot. Accessory uses can’t be on separate properties and no property in the Exchange can have more than 20% of its surface be parking.
While I hope the buildings will be spared, he needs only to amalgamate the parcels for them to be contiguous. The site totals 19,500 ft. I have not seen the 20% parking maximum for the “Exchange” and am unsure where these boundaries maybe or specific bylaw. If your assessment is accurate and he does not apply for a variance, he will put in 12 stalls and landscape the rest.

I think the parkade they built adjacent to the Bedford bldg is great..

They placed 3 animated CRU’s at grade and participated in a little historic facadism that works in this location. They did a better job than ANYONE as far as parkades go in the City. Their buildings are maintained and it is still difficult to rent them.

They have really become parking lot owners ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan