HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:27 AM

That's not a bowman specific thing. Thats what the mayor has been called since forever. Imo all reference to religion needs to go.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:20 AM

Worship in this context is not a religious term. The word evolved over time and is along the lines of being "worthy of respect":

https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-...ike-an-obscene

When addressing a mayor, justice of the peace or magistrate you should say "Your Worship", much like addressing a judge as "Your Honour".

Most mayors are not that persnickety on the point, but addressing a JP or magistrate by something else while you are arguing a case will lead to a negative reaction.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 12:18 PM

Being mayor of a city is an important office that involves a significant degree of public trust... traditional symbols of that importance like a ceremonial chain and an honorific like 'your worship' are fine with me. Not everything has to be run like it's a corporation.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I guess the question now is how the proposal will sound to the feds when they decide whether to pony up the past $20 million they are being asked for. The proposal seems to push the right buttons, but who can tell?
Seems like a no brainer to me. Even pre-COVID this is the exact type of project the feds like to support: major construction with public benefit in a downtown, their money "leveraged" to get equal inputs from city and province. Add in COVID and this is a fantastic stimulus project for them to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Being mayor of a city is an important office that involves a significant degree of public trust... traditional symbols of that importance like a ceremonial chain and an honorific like 'your worship' are fine with me. Not everything has to be run like it's a corporation.
I agree, it's whatever. What I would like to see change: increase the mayor and councillor salaries so the positions actually attract smart, intelligent and experienced people.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
What I would like to see change: increase the mayor and councillor salaries so the positions actually attract smart, intelligent and experienced people.
Pretty hard to find the Mayor on this list.

https://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/reports/...Disclosure.pdf

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm all for respecting the importance of the position. But the phrase "your worship" just strikes me as ridiculous. Doesn't it just engrain the image of a city's mayor as a sort of haughty aristocrat who demands respect? Instead of, you know, a "civil servant". Someone who is just a member of society, working to represent the city's different needs.

I'm not picking on Bowman here, or claiming to have any real knowledge of how city council meetings work. It just seems to me that calling a mayor "your worship" and putting a gold chain around his neck is a ridiculous tradition to be holding onto in the 21st century. And I'll bet my last dollar that the average Manitoban would feel the same.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:41 AM

To me it sounds like we're one step away from his holiness

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
To me it sounds like we're one step away from his holiness
That's what the premier is apparently called by his people

Not sure what the Prime Minister title is?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:59 PM

interesting - of the 17 city employees making more than the mayor, 9 are cops.

and there's a sergeant making more than the deputy chiefs of police?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
That's what the premier is apparently called by his people

Not sure what the Prime Minister title is?
The right honourable

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Overtime. Some years ago, I heard that if you work traffic, you could make a fortune in overtime because of all the time tied up in court. Not sure if this is still the case. Also, overtime earnings are pensionable in WPS land. How sweet it is.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Deadline extended for Portage Place development funding
By: Joyanne Pursaga Posted: 08/27/2020

A funding deadline for the proposed redevelopment of the Portage Place Mall will be extended for three months, as the federal government continues to assess a financial request for the project.

Developer Starlight Investments had said it wouldn’t proceed with the $400-million project unless the governments of Winnipeg, Manitoba and Canada each committed $20 million of funding by today.

Instead, that deadline will be extended.

"Our understanding is that, due to the pandemic, there are still some things that need to happen and that’s understandable given the current climate that we’re in," said Clare MacKay, vice-president of strategic initiatives for The Forks, which is part of a partnership that owns the land.

Starlight spokesperson Marni Larkin said the delay isn’t optimal but the company remains optimistic about the project.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...572233982.html

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Thanks for posting this I was wondering what was happening here.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Why would you run for mayor when you could be the City Clerk and make more money, without any need to deal with media and publicity?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Why would you run for mayor when you could be the City Clerk and make more money, without any need to deal with media and publicity?
Because not everything is about money?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Plans delayed for major makeover to Portage Place
Joyanne Pursaga

A due diligence period for the $400-million redevelopment of Portage Place has been delayed until March 1.

Starlight Investments had hoped to complete the process by the end of November but the company confirmed Monday that it needs more time.

"Discussions are ongoing with multiple levels of government and we are excited to be working with them on the redevelopment of Portage Place and downtown Winnipeg," wrote Marni Larkin, a spokesperson for Starlight, in an emailed statement.

The project aims to create 500 housing units and almost 500,000 square feet of office and retail space in the city centre.

Winnipeg city council approved a $20-million incentive package to support the project, while the province has promised a $28.7-million education tax rebate. A federal request for $20 million of additional support is still being considered.

"We appreciate the importance of the Portage Place redevelopment to Winnipeg and Manitoba and are in discussions with Starlight Investments. This important work is ongoing," wrote federal spokesperson Catherine Mounier-Desrochers, in a written statement.

Starlight has said it won’t proceed with the project unless all three governments provide $20 million.

Paul Jordan, chief executive officer of The Forks-North Portage (which owns land at the site) said the extended timeline is understandable, as Starlight is dealing with major economic changes during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"So they need to redo their mathematics," said Jordan. "The good news is they are still interested."
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...573243821.html

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
MP awaits info on Portage Place plan
By: Dylan Robertson
Posted: 12/26/2020

WINNIPEGGERS are no closer to finding out what’s in store for the troubled Portage Place mall, which was thrown a lifeline by a developer earlier this year.

Dan Vandal, Manitoba’s only federal cabinet minister, said this week he’s still waiting for Starlight Investments, which wants government funding, to outline specifics of its plan for the downtown mall.

Vandal said he hasn’t received an update for several months.

"I think they realize that if they are going to ask for $20 million from the federal government, that we need to know where it’s going," said the MP for St. Boniface-St. Vital.

Starlight Investments did not respond to a request for comment.

The proposal for the mall includes 500 housing units and almost 500,000 square feet of office and retail space.

Earlier this year, Starlight said it wouldn’t proceed with the $400-million project unless the City of Winnipeg, and provincial and federal governments each committed at least $20 million to the project by Aug. 27.

The company moved that deadline to March 1, 2021, after getting support from the city and province, but not Ottawa.

Winnipeg city council approved a $20-million incentive package, while the province has promised a $28.7-million education tax rebate.

Last month, Starlight announced the due diligence period had been delayed. It had hoped to complete the process by the end of November, but the company confirmed it needed more time.

Vandal said on Aug. 5 that officials with the federal granting agency Western Economic Diversification needed more details — and said that was still the case as of Dec. 22.

"The company, I think, is coming around," Vandal said. "Hopefully, things work out because I’m a big proponent of the project, and I think it will be wonderful for downtown Winnipeg."

He said he’s been pushing the company to make sure there is ample affordable housing on the site, saying it could resemble the Arts District project that the University of Winnipeg helped develop around the Winnipeg Art Gallery.

The proposed public elements include a 10,000-square-foot community space, and a pledge to ensure 10 per cent of the new apartments have affordable rents.

— with files from Joyanne Pursaga
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...573481292.html

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 6:03 PM
BANNED

So this thing is still on hold, held up by the Feds even with the COW and province willing to throw good money after bad!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:45 PM

Be a part of the P3 Commons conversation at Portage Place—a once in a lifetime opportunity to rethink and relink nodes of activity in the core of Downtown Winnipeg.

Stay in the loop by signing up for updates at www.p3commons.com

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:58 PM

Starlight is still waiting on Federal money, apparently

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/federal-...ment-1.5306588

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan