HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 12:11 AM

What areas is there going to be parking on the west hand side? I thought all parking was moved to the other side of the street and there’d be a continuous lane from Ponce to 14th or whatever the extent is. I know they’re filling a handful of parking on the west side of the street into parklets, slated for Q1 2021 per Midtown Alliance.

Also think they’ve been in discussion with low and mid rise curb stops. Not sure how serious that consideration is.

Good call about the green paint. I’d like to see that too, though if there’s only funds for paint or protection I want protection. Also idea if that’s an issue at all though.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:05 PM

^ Spring street between 8th and Peachtree place, in front of Taco Bell, Supercuts, Insomnia, etc. People already double park here all the time with flashers. I don't mind that too much (it slows down traffic), but with the bike lane it could create some unsafe situations.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:26 PM

Spring street bike lane is getting some nice bright green paint! At Spring and 10th they've colored the whole thing green. That will help with visibility for right turning south-bound drivers.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Spring street bike lane is getting some nice bright green paint! At Spring and 10th they've colored the whole thing green. That will help with visibility for right turning south-bound drivers.
I’m excited for these. And turns out we are getting protection much better than flex posts, so that is exciting. Curb stops and bollards. I’ll need to ride it once in place!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I’m excited for these. And turns out we are getting protection much better than flex posts, so that is exciting. Curb stops and bollards. I’ll need to ride it once in place!
Just watch out for the temporary traffic light at Spring and Peachtree Place, which is currently blocking the entire bike lane and buffer. We need a real light there (and Midtown Alliance has said they'll put one in), but for now the situation is haphazard and dangerous.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Just watch out for the temporary traffic light at Spring and Peachtree Place, which is currently blocking the entire bike lane and buffer. We need a real light there (and Midtown Alliance has said they'll put one in), but for now the situation is haphazard and dangerous.
Thanks for the heads up- i haven’t been on that street in months.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:44 AM

Cherokee Ave update. Protection still on the way.

https://twitter.com/cqholt/status/13...801972224?s=21

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:20 PM

Video Link

Came across this. Somewhat interesting.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Video Link

The YouTube comment section is a riot....lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Oh cool. I've seen a lot of B1M videos. It's cool to see one concerning Atlanta.

Last edited by Martinman; Jan 27, 2021 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 9:35 PM

Piedmont Ave Complete Streets

Project construction is estimated to begin in Q4 2021, with completion targeted by late 2023

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:17 AM

Concrete median with potted plants seems to be Atlanta’s latest bike lane strategy. Idk how I think about it yet. Better than nothing, however not what id typically advocate for due to the impervious surface.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:12 PM

Midtown is now listing a lot of things as being in construction on their project map. Could be a huge year for midtown bike lanes

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:54 PM

The green is labelled as "under construction in 2021," so maybe that includes things that are not yet under construction but should be within the next 9 months? Not holding my breath on Juniper street, which was announced in 1932.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:24 PM

Good catch, it is annoying how slow some of these things take to happen. Like putting in a signal at an intersection.... I guess when Google is sweetening the deal it happens real quick and they are even realigning the streets, but when it is an intersection (Spring and PPlace) that has student dorms and condos on every corner, it takes ages even though all this would be is new intersection mast arms, the actual roads aren't being realigned.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Good catch, it is annoying how slow some of these things take to happen. Like putting in a signal at an intersection.... I guess when Google is sweetening the deal it happens real quick and they are even realigning the streets, but when it is an intersection (Spring and PPlace) that has student dorms and condos on every corner, it takes ages even though all this would be is new intersection mast arms, the actual roads aren't being realigned.
It's called government. It's where things go to die.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
It's called government. It's where things go to die.
Hmm, well since Midtown alliance cannot issue bonds (taking out loans for capital projects is not most cost effective anyway), they must save money to build any project. It amazes me how many people think 'Government' can just automatically build anything, anytime, like they have unlimited resources.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Hmm, well since Midtown alliance cannot issue bonds (taking out loans for capital projects is not most cost effective anyway), they must save money to build any project. It amazes me how many people think 'Government' can just automatically build anything, anytime, like they have unlimited resources.
But according to their own charts they had construction funding in place for all the project in construction section and even in the design/planning section. I know Juniper street has had it for almost 5 years.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:36 AM

15th Street Extension Project Awarded $2M in Additional Federal Grants

Quote:
The Atlanta Regional Commission announced that the planned extension of 15th Street was recently awarded a $2 million grant from the Federal Highway Administration.

Through a partnership with the City of Atlanta, Midtown Alliance is designing the project and serves as the city’s implementation agent for the project.

The 15th Street Extension project will help complete Midtown’s street grid, which makes the district easier and safer to navigate for all modes of transport. It will create two new blocks of roadway, a rare opportunity in an urban environment.

The design and engineering phase is expected to wrap up by this fall. Pending approvals and permitting by authorities, construction procurement is forecasted to begin late this year. Construction is slated to begin in early 2022 with an anticipated duration of 18 months.

https://www.midtownatl.com/project/1...reet-extension

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 7:02 PM

If this new legislation passes, Atlanta could be well situated to receive funding for interstate capping.

Quote:
The Reconnecting Communities Act would establish a grant program at the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) to help communities identify and remove or retrofit highway infrastructure that creates obstacles to mobility and opportunity.

The Reconnecting Communities Act would empower communities to reverse this unfortunate legacy by building spaces over and around our highways, revitalizing nearby areas as a result.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta