HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Interesting.. all of these stores/parents are having financial difficulties, closing stores, etc.

Ron.
I've always wondered why we seem to buck the trend. May be it's due to lack of alternatives here in NL? Maybe our per capita online sales are lower here, it does takes longer to receive packages in the mail compared to this rest of Canada. Given the winter we've been having it's lucky were getting any mail at all... LOL. This is all speculative of course.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I've always wondered why we seem to buck the trend. May be it's due to lack of alternatives here in NL? Maybe our per capita online sales are lower here, it does takes longer to receive packages in the mail compared to this rest of Canada. Given the winter we've been having it's lucky were getting any mail at all... LOL. This is all speculative of course.
Like you said, shipping times are horrible here, as well as an older population, lack of competition.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:44 PM

So, is the new sportchek a total relocation from the Village to the Avalon Mall like Sears did a while back, or will they coexist? The village location is way better than the stavanger one so I’d like to see it stay.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy123 View Post
So, is the new sportchek a total relocation from the Village to the Avalon Mall like Sears did a while back, or will they coexist? The village location is way better than the stavanger one so I’d like to see it stay.
I think someone already mentioned it in the Galway thread as a rumour that they heard both of the existing stores relocating to the Avalon Mall and Galway...

Who knows if it's true but it kinda does make sense to me because both retail areas are on the upswing and would cover the metro area fairly well.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 7:16 AM

Stuff we already know but this coverage is from the national Retail Insider website.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...8ce2-113844953

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 1:18 PM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:13 PM

Photos of the EB Games expanded store in the Avalon Mall from their twitter:
https://twitter.com/avalonmall/statu...49175372623872

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
This is why initiatives like the Downtown Pedestrian Mall, are a good thing.
Downtown needs to be transformed into a boutique, unique experience; blending the historic seafaring ambience, with varieties of retail outlets.

It's not a place for big box, or franchise retail, that is already present outside the downtown core.

Having said that, I'm wondering about the future of the Stavanger shopping area, after the mall's renovation, and the loss of business to Galway.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 1:31 AM

Victoria Secret

Is Victoria Secret still closed at the mall

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyswally View Post
Is Victoria Secret still closed at the mall

It appears that it's permanently closed. On their website they no longer list a store in Newfoundland. Now the only store in Atlantic Canada is Halifax, Nova Scotia.
https://www.victoriassecret.com/ca/s...#storeList/CAN

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 5:40 PM

Like many shopping mall store brands, many have been Permanently shut down because of COVID-19. And many store brands were hurting big time financially even before the pandemic started so it’s not surprising to see Victoria’s Secret close up. It was in trouble for some time, closing to S of stores across the country. Hopefully something more interesting goes into that large retail space. God knows we dont need another lingerie store with La Senza still there and La Ve En Rose there too.

What would be a cool store for that space I wonder? Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
It appears that it's permanently closed. On their website they no longer list a store in Newfoundland. Now the only store in Atlantic Canada is Halifax, Nova Scotia.
https://www.victoriassecret.com/ca/s...#storeList/CAN

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:35 AM

GoodLife Fitness Avalon Mall location, which closed in March due to Covid-19, never re-opened in July like the other GoodLife locations in Metro. I just heard it will be rebranded and re-open as a Fit4Less location. I am not sure when. Fit4Less is basically a white label brand also owned by GoodLife, which offers just the basics and fewer perks in exchange for lower priced membership fees....sort of like a No Frills for the gym world.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
GoodLife Fitness Avalon Mall location, which closed in March due to Covid-19, never re-opened in July like the other GoodLife locations in Metro. I just heard it will be rebranded and re-open as a Fit4Less location. I am not sure when. Fit4Less is basically a white label brand also owned by GoodLife, which offers just the basics and fewer perks in exchange for lower priced membership fees....sort of like a No Frills for the gym world.
Hmm... very interesting, thanks for posting! This may be a smart move for Goodlife to get clients back with the option to pay less. I'd figure most members would do without the perks for some cost savings. I wonder if Goodlife will convert another location to Fit4Less? There are a few locations throughout the metro region.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Looks like it's a basically a $44 annual fee and $4.99 every 2 weeks(for one location access).

So basically about $200/yr taxes included. Not bad.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Looks like it's a basically a $44 annual fee and $4.99 every 2 weeks(for one location access).

So basically about $200/yr taxes included. Not bad.
I used to goto Fit4Less in Calgary. They had an excellent setup. I didn't have to pay for all the useless 'perks' like group classes I never attended, the ability to book trainers I never wanted to see, etc.

The only downside is Fit4Less generally remove the showers and just have larger space for single person change rooms. Nbd if you can shower at home post-gym anyway. And it's so much cheaper as goodgrowth mentioned, I think it would do very well in St. John's.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:20 PM

Flavours of India - Intermission

Noticed signage "Opening Soon" in food court near Mary Browns last week. Their website confirms it:

https://www.flavoursofindianl.ca/

Something different for food court. Should be great addition.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 12:14 AM

Does anyone have any info on the expansion stores that were supposed to open (H&M, gap, BR, etc.)?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:14 AM

H&M had posted ads recently on the current job listings sites looking for staff so I would say it’s still on schedule to open sometime this fall.

There doesn’t seem to be any activity in the large space yet where Sport Chek is moving.

The Brick (next to Toy R Ys) is probably gonna be opening soon too as they also recently posted job listings for various staff.

Not sure about the others. It’s possible some new stores may be delayed opening because of the pandemic. Nothing has been mentioned though on the Avalon Mall Renovation page on Instagram. Link 0n Instagram to (avalonmallrenovations). They do keep it updated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Does anyone have any info on the expansion stores that were supposed to open (H&M, gap, BR, etc.)?

Last edited by Arrakis; Oct 6, 2020 at 11:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:00 PM

There have been tenders posted for the tenant fit up of Sport Chek which close mid October. So they should be awarded and see construction work start shortly after that.

Avalon Mall sent out the following update on September 17.

"🎉Exciting News! 🎉
You may have noticed we’ve been working away on the expansion of Avalon Mall! This new section of the mall will welcome AMAZING stores including H&M, Banana Republic, Sportchek, Tommy Hilfiger, Sketchers, Old Navy, The Gap, and more!! We’ll be opening this new section very soon with H&M tentatively arriving before Christmas and other stores arriving this winter. Get excited because this is game-changing!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
There have been tenders posted for the tenant fit up of Sport Chek which close mid October. So they should be awarded and see construction work start shortly after that.
Heard from SC employee that due to pandemic the store opening at Avalon Mall has been delayed until March 2021. Based on this, lease at the Village was extended into 2021. When Avalon store does open there will be some overlap with both stores open for a period of time until Village lease runs out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's