HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Regardless, there's no reason why the media shouldn't report on it as they have. The public should be able to judge for themselves how much it is related or how significant it is.
I've completely lost faith in our local media to do its real job anymore. All they care about is sensationalizing non-stories to generate clicks. This $500 is a perfect example. Another example is the story about the Georgia Tech employee morale budget "scandal" that broke down to $160 a year per employee (1/100th of what private sector companies spend on employee morale events).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
I've completely lost faith in our local media to do its real job anymore. All they care about is sensationalizing non-stories to generate clicks. This $500 is a perfect example. Another example is the story about the Georgia Tech employee morale budget "scandal" that broke down to $160 a year per employee (1/100th of what private sector companies spend on employee morale events).
Kasim Reed paid for the funeral of long time employee of the CoA (which I don't have a problem with) and the media has gone bat shit crazy.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
I don't see it as sensationalizing

I see it as them simply doing their jobs by reporting *ALL* of the facts surrounding the situation and letting the public decide for themselves how they interpret said facts.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't see it as sensationalizing

I see it as them simply doing their jobs by reporting *ALL* of the facts surrounding the situation and letting the public decide for themselves how they interpret said facts.
A $500 campaign contribution from CIM GROUP to KLB's campaign is analogous to blaming a cookie for making me fat, if I weigh 600 pounds...POINTLESS.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:23 PM
Closed account

Some of you are being obtuse and missing the big picture, that being it's in the best interest of taxpayers to fully vet this deal to ensure all rocks are overturned as far as how all parties involved will benefit.

If Amazon, CIM, NS or whoever really thinks The Gulch is a good investment, that won't change a month from now, especially if they've already sunken tens of millions of dollars into the project.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:50 PM
Closed account

Just as I suspected, the ABC has confirmed that them Fortune 500 company rushing to get the incentives approved is Norfolk Southern, so they can use the money to pay for their new HQ in Atlanta...

I have no doubt that the mayor and governor are using this red herring by Norfolk Southern as an opportunity to bake in their very generous incentive package for Amazon *IF* they select Atlanta for HQ2. But that doesn't mean Amazon has already selected Atlanta and there's no definitive proof to suggest they're involved in these negotiations.

Norfolk Southern HQ deal may hang on Gulch land sale

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ulch-land.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Just as I suspected, the ABC has confirmed that them Fortune 500 company rushing to get the incentives approved is Norfolk Southern, so they can use the money to pay for their new HQ in Atlanta...

I have no doubt that the mayor and governor are using this red herring by Norfolk Southern as an opportunity to bake in their very generous incentive package for Amazon *IF* they select Atlanta for HQ2. But that doesn't mean Amazon has already selected Atlanta and there's no definitive proof to suggest they're involved in these negotiations.
$1.75B package for Norfolk Southern only? No... they're the cover for Amazon. Amazon isn't some mom and pop shop easily swayed by a couple bucks. They're a trillion dollar company.

The fact that the Gulch deal has Amazon fingerprints all over it seems to be enough grounds to conclude that Amazon has chosen Atlanta.

Unless the City Council somehow blocks this deal for good. Then it might be a different story.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:15 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshirim View Post
$1.75B package for Norfolk Southern only? No.
Per the 600-page document, the incentive package is strictly for CIM (not Amazon or Norfolk Southern), regardless of whether they land any HQs. It only goes up to $1.75 Billion *IF* a development that matches the description of HQ2 happens. Otherwise, the incentives will be less based on a sliding scale (I.E. $900 milliom for $3 billion worth of development).

Norfolk Southern themselves isn't receiving any Gulch incentives nor do they plan to locate in The Gulch. But what I gather is that Norfolk Southern plans to use that money from the $100 million land sale in The Gulch to CIM to cover the cost of their HQ, but the catch is CIM won't buy the land (at least for that amount) if they don't get their incentives.

Again, it has nothing to do with Amazon HQ2 having already picked Atlanta, at least based on the definitive evidence we have. If I'm reading all of the facts that have been revealed to the public wrong, please correct me.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Sep 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshirim View Post
The fact that the Gulch deal has Amazon fingerprints all over it seems to be enough grounds to conclude that Amazon has chosen Atlanta.
To be clear Wonshirlm, "Amazon's fingerprints aren't just all over this" - They are also in the 600 page f'en Agreement.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
To be clear Wonshirlm, "Amazon's fingerprints aren't just all over this" - They are also in the 600 page f'en Agreement.

Exactly. After all the political jockeying gets settled and the City Council passes the deal, I expect Amazon to announce Atlanta. If Amazon were to choose any of the DC cities, Jeff Bezos would have definitely announced last week. Do you have a timeline in mind with regards to when: 1) the City Council will pass the package, and 2) when Amazon will announce the winner?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:

That's just a definition. In that section they are only defining what the phrase "Major Economic Development Opportunity" means elsewhere in the legal documents.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Per the 600-page document, the incentive package is strictly for CIM (not Amazon or Norfolk Southern), regardless of whether they land any HQs. It only goes up to $1.75 Billion *IF* a development that matches the description of HQ2 happens. Otherwise, the incentives will be less based on a sliding scale (I.E. $900 milliom for $3 billion worth of development).

Norfolk Southern themselves isn't receiving any Gulch incentives nor do they plan to locate in The Gulch. But what I gather is that Norfolk Southern plans to use that money from the $100 million land sale in The Gulch to CIM to cover the cost of their HQ, but the catch is CIM won't buy the land (at least for that amount) if they don't get their incentives.

Again, it has nothing to do with Amazon HQ2 having already picked Atlanta, at least based on the definitive evidence we have. If I'm reading all of the facts that have been revealed to the public wrong, please correct me.
Norfolk southern has little to do with the gulch, especially the incentives. They are only involved tangentially because they are trying to offload land. It has already been reported by ABC that Norfolk Southern is planning to put their HQ in midtown NOT the gulch. Vis-a-vis the mystery HQ that is anchoring the gulch is still a mystery and it seems Mayor Bottoms was using Norfolk Southern to obfuscate this fact and looks like it worked for you.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Norfolk southern has little to do with the gulch, especially the incentives. They are only involved tangentially because they are trying to offload land. It has already been reported by ABC that Norfolk Southern is planning to put their HQ in midtown NOT the gulch. Vis-a-vis the mystery HQ that is anchoring the gulch is still a mystery and it seems Mayor Bottoms was using Norfolk Southern to obfuscate this fact and looks like it worked for you.
No one ever confirmed that a HQ is set to anchor The Gulch.

I think KLB's exact words were that the approval of the incentives could either affect or impact the relocation of an HQ, which would jive with what we've learned about Norfolk Southern's land sale being tied to it

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Mayor Bottoms was using Norfolk Southern to obfuscate this fact and looks like it worked for you.
99.9% of the people here can't see the forest from the trees. I feel I have been living in some parallel universe where common sense has not been invented.

Mental Note - work the word "obfuscate" into my daily conversation.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
That's just a definition. In that section they are only defining what the phrase "Major Economic Development Opportunity" means elsewhere in the legal documents.
The purpose of a definition in a contract is because the term appears somewhere else in the Agreement. I am not going to go back and reread the 600 pages, but I believe it appears later in the Agreement where the incentive accelerators are discussed to make the total package $1.75 Billion.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No one ever confirmed that a HQ is set to anchor The Gulch.

I think KLB's exact words were that the approval of the incentives could either affect or impact the relocation of an HQ, which would jive with what we've learned about Norfolk Southern's land sale being tied to it
S-17 - my horseshit alarm is going off.

You and AlwaysDrinkin' were calling me out when the ABC said the NFS was going to the Gulch and I said the story was BS.

Remember this:
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-downtown.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
S-17 - my horseshit alarm is going off.

You and AlwaysDrinkin' were calling me out when the ABC said the NFS was going to the Gulch and I said the story was BS.

Remember this:
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-downtown.html
It may not have been you, but I know there were some folks who said the push to get the incentives passed had nothing to do with NS' HQ, which based on latest reports, was also incorrect.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Damn...CIM Group is buying Google Ads to Promote the Gulch Project

https://greenlightthegulch.com/?gcli...YaArT6EALw_wcB

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Damn...CIM Group is buying Google Ads to Promote the Gulch Project

https://greenlightthegulch.com/?gcli...YaArT6EALw_wcB
If the developer was more public about wanting to retain the area for commuter rail and potential future multimodal terminal I’m sure it would receive more immediate public support.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
If the developer was more public about wanting to retain the area for commuter rail and potential future multimodal terminal I’m sure it would receive more immediate public support.

Agreed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta