HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:40 PM
Hamilton Historian

finally got off my ass and took some pics - they are up to the third story now. Looks like they are starting to fire seal the beams by foam spraying them

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:34 PM
Ham-burgher

Thanks!

Hughson St. is going to have a very different feel once this is built and the Cobalt buildings are up. Especially if it becomes a pedestrian corridor between LRT (assuming it happens ) and the GO Centre (which makes a very nice terminating vista!)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:23 PM

They actually have another floor started now it looks amazing

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Thanks!

Hughson St. is going to have a very different feel once this is built and the Cobalt buildings are up. Especially if it becomes a pedestrian corridor between LRT (assuming it happens ) and the GO Centre (which makes a very nice terminating vista!)
Ooooooh I loves me some terminating vistas!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:36 AM

Exciting to see it grow from here since it's roughly the size of the building it replaced now.

Gage Park is going to feel a lot different in a few years with the restored buildings and new builds facing onto it. It's going to be a really grand central space for the city. Looking forward to it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 1:26 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Exciting to see it grow from here since it's roughly the size of the building it replaced now.

Gage Park is going to feel a lot different in a few years with the restored buildings and new builds facing onto it. It's going to be a really grand central space for the city. Looking forward to it.
Lets hope the ones to the west of this building don't collapse first.. they've been sitting there empty for years now..

it amazes me how little love this side of the gore has gotten over the years, compared to the other side..

some of these buildings just need their outsides cleaned up - being so old takes its toll.

Last edited by Chronamut; Nov 19, 2020 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

How many public squares can we think of that are of any worth in this country? Leaving aside those in Montreal and Quebec, we have very few. Gore Park could be one of our finest and most unique public spaces if we can pull this off.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:13 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post

How many public squares can we think of that are of any worth in this country? Leaving aside those in Montreal and Quebec, we have very few. Gore Park could be one of our finest and most unique public spaces if we can pull this off.
As long as we don't demolish any more heritage buildings, and repair the ones we have, I totally agree

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post

I read this and initially thought "Surely there's at least one other" and... nope. I can't think of an urban park/square/triangle like ours, it really is shaping up to be a lovely space.

That damn gap where RBC & Robinson's was though...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:05 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
I read this and initially thought "Surely there's at least one other" and... nope. I can't think of an urban park/square/triangle like ours, it really is shaping up to be a lovely space.

And to think, it was supposed to be a bowtie, with a fountain on each end, but the other "partner" backed out of the deal last minute... all those many many years ago..

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:09 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Yeah, that gap. Been there FAR too long.

There are others. Berczy Park in Toronto is the first one that comes to mind for me. It's not the "centre" of downtown but has a similarity (shape, size, urban fabric, fountain)
https://goo.gl/maps/X9j4dBiXNFeAX9ui7

I recall a few in Montreal I've walked past or through as well (though Dr. Awesomesauce left Quebec apart... I think that province typically does these spaces better than elsewhere in Canada; perhaps it's the historical development pattern, or just the planning mentality?). I'd have to spend a bit of time looking for the examples.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Nov 20, 2020 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that gap. Been there FAR too long.

There are others. Berczy Park in Toronto is the first one that comes to mind for me. It's not the "centre" of downtown but has a similarity (shape, size, urban fabric, fountain)
https://goo.gl/maps/X9j4dBiXNFeAX9ui7

I recall a few in Montreal I've walked past or through as well (though Dr. Awesomesauce left Quebec apart... I think that province typically does these spaces better than elsewhere in Canada; perhaps it's the historical development pattern, or just the planning mentality?). I'd have to spend a bit of time looking for the examples.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Berczy. For some reason I immediately thought of examples out west, and I can't really think of any that aren't the forecourt of a city hall or a forested square downtown.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:56 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about Berczy. For some reason I immediately thought of examples out west, and I can't really think of any that aren't the forecourt of a city hall or a forested square downtown.
I think the new "park" at John and Rebecca has been a wasted opportunity to do something similar to Gore Park. Perhaps once more development happens surrounding it, there will be an interest in making it a proper urban park/square.

Prince's Square outside of the provincial court building, while small, could also be more user friendly. It's a nice little space, but there are only a few benches down the centre walkway. No need to rip anything out, just add more seating along the connecting paths!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:15 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I think the new "park" at John and Rebecca has been a wasted opportunity to do something similar to Gore Park. Perhaps once more development happens surrounding it, there will be an interest in making it a proper urban park/square.

Prince's Square outside of the provincial court building, while small, could also be more user friendly. It's a nice little space, but there are only a few benches down the centre walkway. No need to rip anything out, just add more seating along the connecting paths!
Nothing will ever replace the gore, thankfully.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 2:55 PM

11/23/2020 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:15 PM

and there it is! It's taller than I expected it to be, actually. The top of those steel columns line up with the 7th floor of the HSBC building..

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:29 PM

Good thing, too. That's side of the park sorrowly needs some taller buildings, or at least something to obscure the back of the courthouse

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:05 PM

I agree, seems like a perfect size! Fingers crossed the materials are good

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 5:44 PM
Hamilton Historian

Looking good! That went up pretty quickly!

The bank building beside it could do with a good stone cleaning at the top.. somehow it seems more glaring now that the building beside it is higher. perhaps it's because it draws your eyes upward more..

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 12:49 AM
Forever forward.

Terrible night time phone pics but pics nonetheless. Note that the framing for the ground floor curtain wall is going up. I'm very much hoping that they went for capless silicone joints and not mullions - or if they went for mullions, they at least chose black aluminum ones and not silver. Mullion choice will make a huge impact on the final result of this one...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton