HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
There is a view from one of the mountains I have seen once on the Weather Channel. The angle of the view gave an appearance of Midtown and Downtown as one large skyline.

Do any of you Phoenix people know what and where I am referring to?
Hi, been lurking the sight for a long time but this is my first post.

The picture your referring too is this

I found it on the Wiki page.

Not only does it look denser but greener as well!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 11:25 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Vicelord John who posts on these forums took that picture. Its from the North side of town near Sunnyslope and sort of combines the Downtown and Midtown skylines into one. The green area is Old North Central Phoenix which is one of the greener parts of town too which is why I like the picture and used it in that photo montage I made for Wikipedia (since previously the picture for Phx was an awful out of date picture that just showed like 2 buildings downtown).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:09 PM
High Voltage

Great pics! You have done a good job of capturing some stuff on Central that usually isn't seen here on SSP.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 1:20 AM

Enjoyable set of photos as always, Stepper. I'd like to visit Phoenix sometime... the city seems through photos to be smaller than it really is (ie, metro area is bigger than Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis). Does it feel like a larger city in person?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:16 PM

Thanks again for the comments.

You get a sense driving on the freeways how expensive the Phoenix area is, especially when we drove out to our friend who lives in Surprise. But, it doesn't feel "big" in the sense of cities like Denver or Minneapolis feel because it lacks density and there is a lot of empty land in the city. Perhaps Pheonix is denser than it once was and there is definitely potential. The city just isn't there yet in my opinion. At night, we found Phoenix to be pretty sleepy especially after 10, even in Scottsdale where I was told was the place to go out.

It's definitely worth a visit though.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 9:40 PM
BANNED

I'm sorry you had to stay at the Clarendon, but thanks for the pictures.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 9:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^Vicelord John who posts on these forums took that picture. Its from the North side of town near Sunnyslope and sort of combines the Downtown and Midtown skylines into one. The green area is Old North Central Phoenix which is one of the greener parts of town too which is why I like the picture and used it in that photo montage I made for Wikipedia (since previously the picture for Phx was an awful out of date picture that just showed like 2 buildings downtown).
thanks for the credit! I want to rent a 300 f2.8 prime and go up there and take a better version of that pic. It doesn't look great to me anymore.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 10:52 PM

is there a big fence that surrounds the city that says "Architects Keep Out" very, very, very unimpressive new builds. i suppose its the same with just about every other american city but phoenix has so much of it that its just demoralizing

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:12 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
thanks for the credit! I want to rent a 300 f2.8 prime and go up there and take a better version of that pic. It doesn't look great to me anymore.
Its a good angle, try to hit it up on a day when its not as smoggy. I didnt notice it initially but now I notice a bit of a haze in the pic and it drives me slightly crazy.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:22 PM
BANNED

doesn't help that it was middle of the day in summertime and the glare was crazy. I'll try to go up there after the rain maybe!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALOVE!! View Post
is there a big fence that surrounds the city that says "Architects Keep Out" very, very, very unimpressive new builds. i suppose its the same with just about every other american city but phoenix has so much of it that its just demoralizing
Huh? I don't think there are any buildings in Uptown under 10 years old, but I may be wrong. Even if I am wrong nothing new was built there in the boom, unless you count the conversion of an office building to condos a new build.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 8:45 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice tour, stepper. No photography in the park? I wonder what that's about. Pretty ironic since the park has an art piece with a guy taking a photo.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Enjoyable set of photos as always, Stepper. I'd like to visit Phoenix sometime... the city seems through photos to be smaller than it really is (ie, metro area is bigger than Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis). Does it feel like a larger city in person?
No. Phoenix has no big city feeling at all (with the exception of traffic/congestion). It does however feel like the world's largest garden style suburb. PHX central core has a lower pop. density than the suburbs and most of Phoenix is suburban in nature.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 4:41 AM

Phoenix is huge and there is plenty of traffic but it's probably the least dense city in the country.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 8:01 PM

Tempe, a suburb of Phoenix, has the highest density in metro Phoenix.

The high rises on Central Avenue are all at least 20 years old. The last to be built is the Viad (nee: Dial) Building with the scooped top. One other building added two floors - the condo conversion Century Plaza now called One Lexington.

By contrast, downtown Phoenix has added nine high rises in the last 20 years. Phoenix's other major business district at 24th St & Camelback has added at least that many, although not as high.

Will light rail catalyze Central Avenue once again? Everyone is hoping that happens but the numerous high-rise condo proposals from several years ago are probably much farther off. If we can change the laws that make land banking pain-free, there might be some real infill instead of countless empty lots with "high-rise potential" signs and sighs.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Tempe, a suburb of Phoenix, has the highest density in metro Phoenix.

The high rises on Central Avenue are all at least 20 years old. The last to be built is the Viad (nee: Dial) Building with the scooped top. One other building added two floors - the condo conversion Century Plaza now called One Lexington.

By contrast, downtown Phoenix has added nine high rises in the last 20 years. Phoenix's other major business district at 24th St & Camelback has added at least that many, although not as high.

Will light rail catalyze Central Avenue once again? Everyone is hoping that happens but the numerous high-rise condo proposals from several years ago are probably much farther off. If we can change the laws that make land banking pain-free, there might be some real infill instead of countless empty lots with "high-rise potential" signs and sighs.
I think Chandler is the most densely populated suburb, but has no urban feel to it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos