HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 8:01 AM

Hermosa Beach, California - A nice afternoon...

Of the three South Bay beach cities of Los Angeles County (Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach), I like Hermosa Beach the best. Manhattan Beach, though nice, is too yuppie for me. Redondo Beach is OK-- but somewhat ordinary and a little too plebeian for me; it's definitely the lower-end of the three. Hermosa Beach, though, I love a lot. It's got that funky beach vibe to it, and is the quintessential southern California beach town; very laid-back and chill. I'm not a "beach" person per se, that is, I'm not one to hang out and lay out on the sand, but I do like the sights and sounds of the beach and ocean, and strolling along beachfronts and piers. Oh and people-watching too, of course, especially when it's summer and people are walking around less clad. For this activity, I really like going to Hermosa. Why not Santa Monica? Well, Santa Monica is a nice city, but I'm not crazy about its beach, mainly because of the people who go there; it can get pretty ghetto/barrio. And, myself being a teen of the 1980s, it's still in my head that the Santa Monica pier and beach are not the place to be at night; there used to be gang activity back in the 80s; I'm not sure if that's the case now, but whatever. Hermosa Beach is way better. BTW, Hermosa Beach was incorporated as a city in 1907.

So this afternoon (Saturday, Aug. 8, 2009) I went to Hermosa Beach and took some pictures. I didn't know that the AVP Crocs Slam Bud Light Hermosa Beach Volleyball Open was taking place this weekend, but that just added to the crowds and fun for people-watching. The tournament was taking place right next to the pier, but of course they were charging admission. It was a beautiful day there too, with temps being in the mid-70s, and a nice breeze blowing. Perfect for a stroll and to people-watch.

Pretty good food, this New Orleans Cajun Creole restaurant.

It all happens in downtown Hermosa Beach, particularly here, Pier Plaza. A concentration of bars and restaurants, and at night the partying really gets going.

That's the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the background.

I never liked playing beach volleyball; you always get sand in your face after hitting the ball.

The modern house on the right is for sale; I wonder how much it's going for? It's on a sidewalk street...

The one next to it is nearly identical. I could live in this one too.

I could live in this old bungalow too. But I'd get rid of that patio furniture. And re-landscape; maybe get rid of the bricks...

Notice the ornate lamp post; it's old, made out of cast iron, and I assume it once held the trolley wire for the old Pacific Electric streetcars.

My guess is that this was once an old drive-up market or dairy or something.

As recently as the early 1990s, this rather plain Beaux-Arts style building used to be the Bijou Theatre and showed movies. It originally opened in 1923 as the Metropolitan Theater. It closed in the mid-1990s and was even threatened with demolition. It's no longer a theater, instead the ground floor houses businesses.

And a Pilates place upstairs.

Mmm, alligator tacos at Los Muchachos!

I think I parked near here... is this where I left the car? Actually I'm parked a few more blocks east. Anyway, that ends the afternoon in Hermosa Beach.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 8:08 AM

AWESOME thread!! I love this place, along with the rest of the South Bay! Thanks for taking the time to bring back many memories.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 2:26 PM
National Capital Region

Great thread... look at all those bikes!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 4:18 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Awesome pictures there and it does look like a perfect day, but I suppose every day is pretty much a perfect day at So Cal beaches.

Torrance also is probably the least known of all the aforementioned south bay beaches but it too is nice. Oh, and Santa Monica is one of the nicest beaches out there. I didn’t move to LA until 1996 and I remember it not being as nice back then as it is now but it has always been very safe. I of course can’t speak about the 80’s but that's a whole generation ago. The LA hood, Venice Beach, to the south is quite diverse and a little edgy but that's why it is the most interesting of all LA County Beaches.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 6:24 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 9:08 PM

all i can say is, Perfect!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 10:41 PM

Looks like a pretty awesome place. I saw Hermosa Beach ranked as the #1 city for singles recently too.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 11:43 AM
Involved

Excellent pics! thank you

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 4:09 PM

Yep, I rate Hermosa Beach a distant 2nd after Venice Beach in colorful people you see hanging out. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing an area many of us locals haven't really presented to this forum. The bad thing is I work in this area, and could have easily captured this scene, but just been too lazy as of late.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 4:14 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Great job, the beaches of the South Bay are great. I dont particularly like the heavy crowded days like that, but if you live there, there are plenty of great uncrowded days as well. The water temp is cool & refreshing. I do have a soft spot for Redondo though, having lived there when I was a kid. Great memories of the old Redondo pier. Id like to see some pix there if you get the chance..or ChrisLA, man dont be so lazy......

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 4:56 PM
Involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Yep, I rate Hermosa Beach a distant 2nd after Venice Beach in colorful people you see hanging out. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing an area many of us locals haven't really presented to this forum. The bad thing is I work in this area, and could have easily captured this scene, but just been too lazy as of late.
hope one day, we'll have someone to capture other parts of L.A such as east neighbourhoods...Chino, Riverside...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 5:39 PM
BANNED

I can almost feel the sea breeze from here...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Great job, the beaches of the South Bay are great. I dont particularly like the heavy crowded days like that, but if you live there, there are plenty of great uncrowded days as well. The water temp is cool & refreshing. I do have a soft spot for Redondo though, having lived there when I was a kid. Great memories of the old Redondo pier. Id like to see some pix there if you get the chance..or ChrisLA, man dont be so lazy......
Actually, I also have somewhat of a sentimental spot for Redondo-- when I was a little kid, my family and I would go to the pier there too; there was a place that my parents liked going to to eat fresh crab, and they had a carnival ride there too that my sister and I would ride. I don't think that exists anymore, I was last at the Redondo pier maybe 6 or 7 years ago and I didn't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph93 View Post
hope one day, we'll have someone to capture other parts of L.A such as east neighbourhoods...Chino, Riverside...
Hehe! Well, I don't consider those to be LA neighborhoods. But if it's any consolation, and don't anyone hold me to it, but I may do a Whittier photo thread.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 7:47 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Actually, I also have somewhat of a sentimental spot for Redondo-- when I was a little kid, my family and I would go to the pier there too; there was a place that my parents liked going to to eat fresh crab, and they had a carnival ride there too that my sister and I would ride. I don't think that exists anymore, I was last at the Redondo pier maybe 6 or 7 years ago and I didn't see it.

aHH yes; that would be Quality Seafood, we did the same. The little arcade & amusement rides were a kid magnet.....good times.

Quality Seafood is still there, not sure about the amusements:

http://www.qualityseafood.net/about.htm

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 11:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Awesome thread. I love all three of those communities. Heck, anywhere on the SoCal coast is going to be fantastic. I've been away far too long and need to get myself down there.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 1:58 AM
I like this much better

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 3:19 AM

Oh my god, I love it!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 3:21 AM
Honored Member

Nice place, and excellent photos. It looks like I could just pick a shady spot and sit and watch the eye candy go by, all afternoon.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 11:11 PM
Pipe Layer

Fuckin' California. No other place compares.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:29 AM

why do i live in dreary portland, oregon? holy F$$k, i need to live down there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos