HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 6:43 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I hope the marina doesn't get built. I like it the way it is now.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:55 PM

I really hope it gets built!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 12:06 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I hope it gets built as well, a marina adds a sizeable amount of foot traffic and the seawall there is still pretty quiet most days. Additional activation never hurt, and the seawall is high enough there that the boats wouldn't really affect any views

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:12 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Just noticed that the winning proponent for the Harbour Green Restaurant is choosing to go with a new design. Much inferior to the original approved design, imo.

http://former.vancouver.ca/parks/boa...d-20151116.pdf

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:19 AM

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:50 AM

Actually I don't mind the redesign. The wood elements are an improvement over the all glass proposal, although I don't like the look of that wall that fronts the staircase.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 7:56 AM

Tacky as hell that new restaurant design. The old one was too glassy for my tastes, but at least it wasn't offensive.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:17 PM

IMO, the original glassy restaurant design blends in too well with the convention centre. The 3rd floor sticks up and can be seen from the courtyard above, providing access, which I like.

The new design seems to be only 2 stories tall, and I suppose the entrance is now only from the Seawall and not from the convention centre courtyard? Overall I like this design better than the first one because it stands out, and signals that it is its own building, and I don't find it offensive at all. Hopefully the patterned concrete wall by the stairway will provide some nice contrast and perhaps earth-tone hues to otherwise rather bland surroundings. I do have to add that I don't quite like the rib pole columns holding the supporting wooden joist on the frontage.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:15 PM
blog this

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 10:21 PM

So there's no entrance now towards the cc. Having it a floor higher would've been better. Is it going to be a green roof?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Tacky as hell that new restaurant design. The old one was too glassy for my tastes, but at least it wasn't offensive.
Strange to see you comment negatively about a building.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 2:49 AM

i wish they had kept the 3-level design to have an extra access route and it adds a little more of an impact. i like the wall by the staircase on the new design though a lot better.

i also like the wood beams it adds a bit of texture to the building compared to having just a flat clear blank glass wall.

also, what happened to the waterfall/fountain on the staircase? it is in the original renderings though not the 2nd? it looks like it was 1/2 built in the current staircase but that's about it. is it one of those things that they abandoned years ago?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 5:11 AM

LOL. That thing is hideous.

Nothing that can't be improved though by adding about another two dozen design-move-cliches to the two dozen already used.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 7:13 PM
dazzle me

1990s kamloops called, they want their design back.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 4:24 AM

Here's a look at the site for the new restaurant as it is today. The last pic is the view from behind and above.

Nov.15 '15, my pics

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 11:32 PM

It looks like the 2nd floor is almost all outdoor patio (under the wooden roof) - more than the previous design?
The blank wall on the seawall will provide a good location for a logo / signage.

It really does need a 3rd floor to have presence at the plaza level. It may go unnoticed by many potential customers. They probably did that because the main indoor dining room is at the seawall level and they only wanted one indoor level and./or didn't want customer flow from 2 locations.

What I think they should have done is create a separate retail space on the seawall level (coffee shop?) and bumped up the planned dining room and outdoor patio one level up.
As it is, the dining room view will be blocked by seawall trees in summer.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 1:15 AM

I would hope that the blank wall on the stairs side will not have signage or advertising, rather colorful natural nature focused murals should be the order of the day, something pleasant for those strollers on the stairs to gaze at as they descent down to the seawall.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 3:50 AM

Vancouver Park Board @ParkBoard 7.41 pm
Harbour Green gets new eatery! #VanParkBoard approves plan for 2 story resto in Coal Harbour http://ow.ly/UJomJ pic.twitter.com/DXWT5CWnN3

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 5:57 AM

Park board approves plans for Coal Harbour restaurant
BY CHERYL CHAN, THE PROVINCE NOVEMBER 16, 2015

A new restaurant is coming to prime waterfront property at a public park in Coal Harbour.

On Monday, the Vancouver Park Board approved plans for the two-storey restaurant, which will join Cactus Club and Tap and Barrel in catering to hungry tourists, conference attendees from the nearby convention centre, and locals hankering for a meal with views of the water.

The Sequoia Company of Restaurants Inc. and McDougall Holdings Ltd. won the bid to build the restaurant on the eastern edge of Harbour Green Park adjacent to the grand staircase connecting Jack Poole Plaza to the seawall.

The Sequoia Company is no stranger to having to the park board as its landlord ­— it already operates the upscale Seasons in the Park at Queen Elizabeth Park and The Teahouse at Stanley Park — while McDougall Holdings, which operates Harbour Air, owns two casual eateries in Richmond and Victoria located near seaplane terminals.

The agreement allows for a 10-year lease with the option of renewing for two additional 10-year terms. The annual base rent is $200,000 a year, in addition to a variable rent based on earnings.

Based on the restaurant’s projected revenue, rent for the first five years is pegged at about $2.2 million, according to a presentation to commissioners Monday.

Plans for a new restaurant at Harbour Green Park have been in the works since 2006, said a park board report, but was revitalized in 2013 after the temporary seaplane terminal, which was using the site designated for the restaurant, moved to its permanent location.

The city had already approved a development permit in 2008, but the proponent submitted a new design featuring a shorter building and a covered second-floor patio that would require a new development permit process.

As part of that process, there will be public consultation, a public information meeting and a mail-out notification to nearby residents, said the park board.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/park...medium=twitter

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 4:42 PM

I didn't realize this was Sequoia, that gives me hope for the quality of the restaurant at least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver