HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:08 AM

An enlarged view of prior photo depicting homes near the pathway. Windmill and tank suggests some residents may have been responsible for their own water.

For those unable to view this, please view here: http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...8/id/78/rec/45

Path was built with the expectation of second independent lane of traffic. Notice extra width. Could have been an interesting exercise to monitor, maintain/police seven miles of elevated track. It may be of significance that most Cycleway photos appear to have been taken at the direction of the Southern Pacific RR. Does anyone know what the SPRR's interest may have been in this project? Could the Cycleway have been relying upon easements and rights of way belonging to the SPRR? Was promoter, Horace Dobbins, working with the SPRR, various transit companies or the various governmental entities who might have some say over the project? Have to assume the project would not go unnoticed by the all burgeoning transit concerns, and any one else who might profit from this sort of enterprise.

No see?? Please go here: http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...8/id/83/rec/48

Fair Oaks on the right. Any of those structures still there?

The 10 cent fare? Correct change only? Personal checks?

Wondered how the bicycles were elevated to Cycleway. Ramp or stairs? (Looks like some stairs may have been involved! The three-wheeler operated by Margret Hamilton's Mum may have been excluded from the cycleway.)

Last edited by BifRayRock; Aug 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I found this photograph earlier tonight on ebay.

The Cliff Cafe on Point Fermin, San Pedro CA (Los Angeles Harbor) circa 1917

ebay
I am surprised by the various pathways and stairs leading down to the ocean.

Nice.

May as well include these postcards to round out the set. There are probably more

(Colorful. If only they were larger!)

http://www.sanpedro.net/postcards/ptfermin1m.jpg

http://www.sanpedro.net/postcards/ptfermin2m.jpg

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
The old rail siding is across the street, parallel to the Air Line. The spur is still visible behind the public storage place down the street on National, which was at one time a Tootsie Roll factory.

Anyone have pictures of Tootsie Roll on National in Palms?
Once again, Arcadia Publishing comes to the rescue, well sort of. Check out page 30 of Los Angeles's The Palms Neighborhood by George Garrigues. I don't want to post a copyrighted image, but it's available in preview on Google Books, at least as of the time of posting. I say "sort of" because the building pictured doesn't seem to have a Tootsie Roll sign on it anywhere, we just have to accept that it is.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:45 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcork View Post

HDL
After some photo editing on the colors. I think parts of the image are "too hot" (bright enough to lose detail).

HDL

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:54 AM

Lookout Mountain Inn FOUND - part 3

In my two prior LMI posts:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16204
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16219

I showed that the location of the Lookout Mountain Inn was at (what is now) 2355 Sunset Plaza Drive.

3940dxer and I decided we should scale Wulff's Peak (now a nameless bump with radio antennas and water tanks at the convergence of Walker Drive, Ridgemont Drive, and Crescent Drive) to see if we could recreate the distant view of the Inn he had discovered.

The Lookout Mountain Park Land and Water Company sold the parcel containing Wulff's Peak to E.L. Doheny in 1913:

At http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=15754 I described finding the Wulff's Peak deed at the Assessor's Office in Norwalk. I then traced the parcel description on top of a current topographic map to see where the peak is today. The "Belvedere of America," as the article calls it, is indeed the high point between Laurel and Coldwater Canyons.

Getting the "Now" half of the "Now and Then" was easier said than done. After rejecting Walker Drive and Crescent Drive as starting points due to high fences, we drove to Ridgemont Drive. There, the public street ended in a gate made of pointy spikes. We could see the street continuing up the grade, with houses beyond. After getting out of our car, we stood around for a while wondering what to do. Climbing over the gate was possible, but we could hear people in the houses beyond. Maybe they were "stand your ground" enthusiasts?

Just as we were about to give up, a car drove up. The driver punched the entry code into the control box, and the gate slowly swung open. She drove through and on up the hill out of sight. 3940dxer and I looked at each other speculatively. At the last possible moment, we darted through the gate as it clanged shut. Trying to look unobtrusive (difficult owing to the camera equipment), we nonchalantly walked on and up, hoping not to encounter anyone. We did meet the driver as she was entering her house. We explained to her what we were doing and fortunately she waved us on.

The road ends below the summit, and we scrambled as far up as we could (not recommended in street shoes) to take our pictures. And of course not having the gate code, we ended up having to climb the fence on the way out without impaling ourselves. This was tricky.

Here is a "then and now" pair from the same point 100 years apart. The perspective is slightly different because the "then" picture was taken with a wide-angle, short focal length lens making it appear to have been taken from a greater distance.

c. 1913

16 August 2013

In the modern view, from left to right, we have:
  1. the ridge of “Cyprean Hill” (water tank and antennae)
  2. Cyprean Drive,
  3. the brown Tudor house perched just above Appian Way at 2020 Cyprean Drive, on southwestern-most knoll of Cyprean Hill,
  4. trees masking the sight line right down the middle of Appian Way
  5. the height of land marked 1453 feet in the old topo, now 2460 Sunset Plaza Drive
  6. the 2355 Sunset Plaza Drive house (site of the Inn, and later the Lew Ayres house), and
  7. the 2300 Sunset Plaza Drive house at the right edge of the screen.
  8. Crescent Drive leading off to the “Double Bow Knot” curves beyond the frame to the left.

It is striking how much vegetation has been introduced in 100 years. Is it possible that the two bumps on the ridge line of Cyprean Hill visible above the second “2” are the same as the mature trees seen just above the second “2” in the modern picture? Also note the slope of the scar of the road leading down at 4 o’clock from the inn (today’s upper Sunset Plaza leading down to the intersection with upper Crescent Drive, it is identical in both pictures. Both photos agree with the 1926 topo map, which shows Crescent Drive contours just below the ridge line from the Double Bow Knot area to the intersection with upper Sunset Plaza.

The Bandstand was built on top of Lookout Mountain, the conical hill shown at #4. The 1926 topo shows the hill as about 50 feet higher than the saddle at the intersection of Appian Way and Barcelona. This now is the hairpin turn on Appian Way, and has been leveled since, most recently in 2001 when the owner of 8782 sold the parcels inside the hairpin to a developer. As a result, our neighborhood was gifted with the spec houses at 8787, 8777, and 8765.

Big thanks to 3940dxer for his interest and help.

Last edited by Lorendoc; May 19, 2016 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

To tell you the truth, nothing really seems unusual about this building, including the window heights. That's a downspout next to the window, which appears to angle to go into a drain.
You don't think there's anything weird about how it elbows right on the ground like that? FWIW wouldn't a downspout would go all the way up to the roof? Because of that I thought it might be a stale air vent, not that I know if it would matter.

As for the entrance or loading port, it occurred to me that it might have been for cars at one point, assuming the space was used for parking or repairing them. It can't have been Norm's Fabrics since 1915--I am sure of that; on the other hand I'm not sure that opening is wide enough for a car.

Quote:
Here's a picture from the Times:
(See GW's post for the picture)

I've noticed this picture on their website; great shot.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:56 AM

Hidley's tubes are full of air!

1930 - 785 East Colorado Blvd. (Replaced by new construction, currently occupied by Target Store.)

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis.../id/312/rec/44

"Yes We Buy Bicycles."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:36 AM

The Model Grocery Company Store, 250 East Colorado Blvd.

Little doubt that satin toilet tissue is the featured product! Brilliantly packaged in a doll house. But a year's supply, for the doll?

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...2/id/131/rec/3

1925 - particularly noirish lighting
http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...2/id/78/rec/10

With the doll house, price seems right. Tissue must have been profitable in '25 and '26. Well before using recycled paper.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoe View Post
I've been trying with little success to look up the history of "La Casa Del Mexicano" (which was shown on page 333 of this thread) There indeed is a plaque labeling it the "Euclid Heights Methodist Church" built in 1904. However, I've come across a photograph from at least 1904, labeled the "Euclid Heights Methodist Church" (not sure if I have permission to post that picture yet.) That building is definitely not the current dome-shaped Casa Del Mexicano.

What I'm looking for is construction photos of the domed building being built. Can anyone help?

I also understand that the church (or lot it stood on) became a Jewish
Synagogue between 1914 and 1930. Further research states that the
Mexican Consulate was granted the lot in 1937.

Can you shed some light on this? If "La Casa Del Mexicano" isn't the
original structure, then what happened to the church? And are there any pictures of the building now known as "La Casa Del Mexicano" being built?
I was able to track the photo properly as per the thread guidelines. According to the "Yearbook Of The Southern California Annual Conference" (1904) the following structure is the Euclid Heights Methodist Episcopal Church: http://google.com/books?id=JtkpAAAAYAAJ

Various shots of the current building: The domed roof:

http://misneighbors.com/?cat=6&paged=3

An early shot of the interior (The seats are no longer present, and murals now adorn the walls)

Finally, a screenshot from the 1984 movie "Breakin' 2" where Casa Del Mexicano was prominantly featured, if painted garishly:

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 8:31 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724797

A recent article I noticed on the BBC website about exploring LA's forgotten stairways

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
No, it was never a park back then.
Bear with me, this may be a little long!

Just to get bearings, this is all about the property bounded by Angel's Flight on the north, 4th St. on the south, Olive St. on the west and Hill St. on the east. The western half of this area (bounding Olive) is the part with grass and trees. The eastern half is a steeper hill which flattens out at the bottom as it reaches Hill St., with a Metro entrance on the corner at 4th & Hill, and the ruins of old walls backing up against the hillside as you go north along Hill St.

Google Maps
Soooo here's a little more about now-shuttered Angel's Knoll, which has its own Facebook page!

I should start a "Return Angel's Knoll to 1953" petition and see how that works out. In a previous post I went on about Olive/Fourth/Hill St, but what of wee Clay running down its center? An understanding of Clay is necessary before the City gets to work on its perfect recreation of what they tore down. Holding my breath. Anyway:

Angel's Knoll:

So here, we are looking north toward Third from about Fourth.

A wall of the Antlers is on your left; R, 354, 350, and 346 (with "Brown") Clay Street. Looking the opposite way:

A bit of the porch of 334, a guy standing on the porch of 338, glimpses of 340 and 342 and then what we saw in the shot above, down to Fourth with the Black Bldg looming above.

You might remember 334 Clay St from Kent McKenzie's The Exiles; it's where Yvonne & Homer live. 338 is where the always-nutty Timothy Carey gets a beatdown under that porch there in the criminally underknown Finger Man.

Standing about where the building that says "Brown", to your left see 345 Clay, AKA the Glenn Apartments:

One can still stand on the Knoll and stare at that flank of the Subway Terminal building and recreate this image in your mind's eye. (Minus the convertible Sprite and that DS, but with the hipsters moving into the neighborhood, maybe not.)

So in the image above you're looking down Clay to Fourth.

Specifically, those seven cars are in a new parking lot formed by the demolition of the Hotel Antlers. Thus the brick structure at far right has to be the Clark Garage. The big buildings at left are the Black Bldg and the Wright & Callender (both demolished shortly after).

Those are all the Clay St images I have at hand, if there are others out there, please add them here. These came from
http://helios.library.ca.gov/soca/reagh/1990-1290.jpg
http://helios.library.ca.gov/soca/reagh/1990-0909.jpg
http://www.lib.state.ca.us/Web2/tram..._source=visual
http://helios.library.ca.gov/soca/reagh/1990-0736.jpg

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 11:38 AM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
Not sure if this photo has ever been posted here, but if it has it may be worth revisiting. The Rochester House at 1012 W. Temple Street - in color (photo dated 1962)! One of my favorite LA Victorians - I'm salivating right now!

Huntington Digital Library

Maybe one of you guys who are handy with Photoshop would be willing to do some color correction on this photo? Would be greatly appreciated!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

You don't think there's anything weird about how it elbows right on the ground like that? FWIW wouldn't a downspout would go all the way up to the roof? Because of that I thought it might be a stale air vent, not that I know if it would matter.

As for the entrance or loading port, it occurred to me that it might have been for cars at one point, assuming the space was used for parking or repairing them. It can't have been Norm's Fabrics since 1915--I am sure of that; on the other hand I'm not sure that opening is wide enough for a car.

(See GW's post for the picture)

I've noticed this picture on their website; great shot.

Cars were a lot narrower in 1915.... As for the roof--this is a downspout. The base of the peaked roof is clearly below the level of the building wall--as is usual in this kind of design, there is an opening in the wall at a point meeting the base of the peaked roof, through which the water drains into a leaderhead (the box) and down the spout etc.

In other trivia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post

I just read that Hodel is appearing tomorrow, August 22 at 7 PM at the South Pasadena Library to present "The Third and Most Conclusive Installment of His Black Dahlia Trilogy."

According to the announcement...

"The author promises to introduced new, never before released findings, further linking Dr. George Hodel directly to the crime-scene and victim. This news-breaking information is being held as an "exclusive" for those attending the talk, who get to "scoop" the general public."
I know it's still early, but if Hodel had finally achieved his weird wetdream of proving that his dear old dad killed the Dahlia, in this day of tweets etc, I think we'd have heard about it already.

Stay tuned to Harnisch:http://ladailymirror.com/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post

c. 1913

16 August 2013

In the modern view, from left to right, we have:
  1. the ridge of “Cyprean Hill” (water tank and antennae)
  2. Cyprean Drive,
  3. the brown Tudor house perched just above Appian Way at 2020 Cyprean Drive, on southwestern-most knoll of Cyprean Hill,
  4. trees masking the sight line right down the middle of Appian Way
  5. the height of land marked 1453 feet in the old topo, now 2460 Sunset Plaza Drive
  6. the 2355 Sunset Plaza Drive house (site of the Inn, and later the Lew Ayres house), and
  7. the 2300 Sunset Plaza Drive house at the right edge of the screen.
  8. Crescent Drive leading off to the “Double Bow Knot” curves beyond the frame to the left.
Lorendoc, I am continually amazed by your in-depth research on the-Lookout Mountain Inn and the surrounding area. I want to thank you
for all your hard work (most everyone here have been oddly quiet...I really don't know why).
Too bad you didn't take a video of you and David climbing over that fence. I would have paid good money to see that!

I have a question about the 'speakeasy' you mention in your post # 1 of the series. Would this have been at the same location
as the earlier Laurel Tavern? (if I remember correctly, you mention a curve in the road or something)

Laurel Tavern

http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/

http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:11 PM

This is a wonderful close-up of the dome MrPoe.

originally posted by MrPoe

I was going to link back to GW's original post back on page 333, but I found it so interesting I decided to quote it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
LAPL

LAPL

I was curious about the little Islamic dome in a shot used in my post about Roosevelt High School (fragment above).... It's still there, and the building has an interesting history. Sources vary as to its original use; some mention a plaque indicating that it was built in 1904 as the Euclid Heights Methodist Church. But a church by that exact name was listed just two blocks north in the 1909 CD (the building is still there)... by 1923--and thru at least 1942-- the church's address was 539 Euclid Ave...the later Casa del Mexicano. So my guess would be that it was actually built as a synagogue and then became Methodist. (I've seen no pictures of it in either Methodist or Jewish "vestments." Anyway, the Mexicans began to move into the area and in 1950, the building became the Casa del Mexicano, a cultural and performing arts center.

As it appears today from heaven:
Google

The interior is worth a look too:

More pics and info where this shot came from: http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels...sdowntown2010/

More reading:
Los Angeles Times, July 31, 2008

Los Angeles Times, February 15, 2011

It's even haunted:
http://www.scspr.org/investigations/mexicanofb.htm

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:33 PM

...since this was mentioned a day or so ago.

Here's the link.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-murderer.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:44 PM

Brown Derby lunch counter

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bizar...50303461678081

for a quick comparison with the exterior

ebay
__

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Lorendoc, I am continually amazed by your in-depth research on the-Lookout Mountain Inn and the surrounding area. I want to thank you for all your hard work (most everyone here have been oddly quiet...I really don't know why).

Sometimes, silence, can = Awe. Applause to Lorendoc and 3940dxer.

Posters should consider that not all noir masterworks were recognized as such on their first run. Some subjects are not as easily absorbed as others and take time to be discovered and/or rediscovered.

Many excellent posts go without public acknowledgment. But that does not mean they aren't valued or appreciated. (Otherwise this board would have much faster loading times.) Suffice it to say, on behalf of this thread's many unregistered viewers and those of us who are only occasional contributors, gratitude to ER and the many other heavyweight posters who constantly trod the length and breadth of LA Nitrate.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Sightseeing in Hollywood

Here is Beth Short standing in front of the Temple Dogs at Grauman's Chinese movie theater.

Was Dr. Hodel involved in her death? That's a good question. If not him...then who was?

Image: unknown

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:

for a quick comparison with the exterior

ebay
__

1968? Someone's been eating unwashed or decades'-old Cobb Salad.

straunt

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos