HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:05 PM

I don't see how anyone could argue that the twin towers are not now the most known and recognized manmade structures in history. Save perhaps for tribal communities and certain parts of the Muslim world, just about everyone on earth saw the footage of those towers burning. It even showed up briefly in North Korean newspapers.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I don't see how anyone could argue that the twin towers are not now the most known and recognized manmade structures in history.
seriouisly? you choose the twin towers over the giza pyramids that have wowed, awed, mystified, and amazed generation after generation for THOUSANDS of years? the twin towers came crumbling down after only 4 decades of existence because a pair of airplanes were crashed into them. they might still seem like a really big deal right now, but that will fade. the pyramids are eternal.

for someone talking about history, it seems to me like you need to get a little more historical perspective.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
i don't think it had anything to do with their recognition or notoriety as skyscrapers but rather that were symbols of American economic power much as the Pentagon represents military power and the plane downed in PA was suspected to have been targeting either the capitol or white house (obvious symbols of US political power)
What is the skyscraper but a symbol of economic power? They were the most well known skyscrapers at the time. The terrorists wanted to go after our military and our economy. The hit the pentagon and they hit the most well know, prominent, skyscrapers they could find.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
What is the skyscraper but a symbol of economic power? They were the most well known skyscrapers at the time. The terrorists wanted to go after our military and our economy. The hit the pentagon and they hit the most well know, prominent, skyscrapers they could find.
The WTC, specifically, represented Wall Street.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:33 PM

Has the Leaning Tower of Pisa been mentioned? Very iconic of Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
It can be said that the Eiffel Tower in Paris is one of the most iconic landmarks of all time and it still attracts millions of visitors each day.
Millions of visitors each day? The Eiffel Tower averages about 18-thousand paid visitors per day, which btw is the most paid-visitors of any monument on earth, but no where near millions.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:47 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Has the Leaning Tower of Pisa been mentioned? Very iconic of Italy.

Millions of visitors each day? The Eiffel Tower averages about 18-thousand paid visitors per day, which btw is the most paid-visitors of any monument on earth, but no where near millions.
No,I meant that every year, it attracts that many visitors.If it could attract millions,then France's economy would do good just with it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 9:59 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
seriouisly? you choose the twin towers over the giza pyramids that have wowed, awed, mystified, and amazed generation after generation for THOUSANDS of years? the twin towers came crumbling down after only 4 decades of existence because a pair of airplanes were crashed into them. they might still seem like a really big deal right now, but that will fade. the pyramids are eternal.

for someone talking about history, it seems to me like you need to get a little more historical perspective.
I agree, I think the World Trade Center towers are the most famous skyscrapers in history but if we are talking about all tall structures then the pyramids and perhaps the Eiffel Tower are even more well known.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 11:05 PM
Khurram Parvaz

AGAIN, bottom line, ESB and Eiffel and maybe the Pyramids since they're neither skyscraper nor tower.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 12:23 AM
BANNED

The SunTrust Center

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 12:25 AM
I am a typical

That made me laugh out loud.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 6:39 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Isn't that in Orlando, it's I believe one of the if not the tallest in the city.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Isn't that in Orlando, it's I believe one of the if not the MOST ICONIC in the WORLD.
fixed.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 2:58 PM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 2:08 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

The Sun Trust Center, Empire State Building, Sears Tower, etc. has nothing on the KVLY TV-Tower in Blanchard, North Dakota! The Eiffel Tower has nothing on the Warsaw Radio Mast, even 20 years after it's collapse I can't eat pierogies or kielbasa without thinking about it!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:43 AM

Quote:

Yes, I would argue that, to the current living population of Earth, the images of 9/11 would be at least as recognizable to people as the pyramids.

Oh wait, no I wouldn't. This thread is retarded.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:

If we take a more historical perspective I would say the pyramids have definitely been more iconic than the twin towers, but if we are strictly talking about today, I don't think its a stretch to say that the twin towers are as recognizable as the pyramids to most people.

Secondly, and more importantly, it seems to me you are implying that twin towers were some how less great than the pyramids because they collapsed merely because airplanes crashed into them. I'm pretty sure the pyramids, and virtually every other icon mentioned on this thread would have been utterly devastated by a similar attack.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:10 PM
Never Dell

A decade ago I'd have agreed about the WTC. It's receded into history quite a bit since then, even while it's still a staple in documentaries etc. Obviously a lot more fresh in NY...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Oh yeah the Twin Towers were famous before 9/11. Philippe Petit is the most famous example. His tightrope walk between the Twin Towers made them famous like King Kong to the Empire State Building.

Let the great World spin.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 10:34 PM
Khurram Parvaz

I agree and disagree with you.

Quote:
I don't see how anyone could argue that the twin towers are not now the most known and recognized manmade structures in history. Save perhaps for tribal communities and certain parts of the Muslim world, just about everyone on earth saw the footage of those towers burning. It even showed up briefly in North Korean newspapers.
That's pretty racist, I know many muslims who know and loved the Twins, and wished they could see them in person. 9/11 as we all know wasn't easy on the muslim world. You didn't include Africa, which is mostly desert, no communications, and many people there have to worry about FGM to even have a clue about America. So you were being really vague about the amount of people that do and don't know about the Twin Towers.

Quote:
Yes, I would argue that, to the current living population of Earth, the images of 9/11 would be at least as recognizable to people as the pyramids.

Oh wait, no I wouldn't. This thread is retarded.
Oh the split side this thread is boring (no offense). Everyone's commented and said, either ESB, Eiffel, Pyramid, Tower of Pisa, and THE SUNTRUST CENTER. So lets move on. I think this thread has lived a good life of about a week.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Isn't that in Orlando, it's I believe one of the if not the most IRONIC in the world.
I correct your correction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture