HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:00 PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58...llion.html.csp
This is an article from the Tribune talking about some of the potential economic benefit Utah could have while the airport is under construction for the next 10 years...If it pans out like this is saying that would be great for the local economy over the next while....and that's only what the airport is going to contribute to the economy not the other development that is going to happen

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:25 PM

I actually think the renderings look pretty good. I really like the interior spaces and materials. However, I do have some pretty big qualms about this design. First of all, why are we using the orange concrete stuff again in northern Utah??!! This isn't southern Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, or even SoCal! Also, the firm that is designing this, Edwards & Daniels, is the same firm that designed the latest Salt Palace expansion with orange concrete. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but it is the detailing and follow through that they have demonstrated to lack in sometimes. The prime example is how the new Salt Palace expansion fronts South Temple. And, how in the world does orange concrete relate to the rest of the Salt Palace and surroundings?! Not at all.

Last edited by Orlando; Jul 24, 2014 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I actually think the renderings look pretty good. I really like the interior spaces and materials. However, I do have some pretty big qualms about this design. First of all, why are we using the orange concrete stuff again in northern Utah??!! This isn't southern Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, or even SoCal. Also, the firm that is designing this, Edwards & Daniels, is the same firm that designed the latest Salt Palace expansion with orange concrete. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but it is the detailing and follow through that they have demonstrated to lack in sometimes. The prime example is how the new Salt Palace expansion fronts South Temple. And, how in the world does orange concrete relate to the rest of the Salt Palace and surroundings?! Not at all.
You've triggered my hate for orange concrete!!!!

Yay, now I know who to kill.

Someone get the gateway developers on the line?

EDIT : never mind, I looked through EDA's work and I realized that a. The salt palace expansion is my least favorite work of theirs, and b. they do amazing work with some architectural value (as in it deviates away from the typical modern style with angled roofs and metallic panelling). I hope they reconsider for a colder and more calm color pallet as opposed to the hot orange concrete they keep picking.

I wouldn't be to worried. Maybe those of us who have any power could send a letter asking to make a design reconsideration?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:13 PM

HOK is the lead designer. while I am sure the local architects provide input, I'm not sure how much influence they have on the design.
There were 3 local architects selected to assist, 1 for the terminal, 1 for the concourses, and 1 for the parking garage

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:20 PM

My first impression was the color was copper... but as I look there are parts that must be concrete, and I hope it doesn't end up being bright orange. I get that Utah has a strong desert/Native American heritage, but why does EVERYTHING we present to the world have to revolve around that? It's so cliché and boring!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:47 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

The SLC Int Airport has this posted on the new airport page:

http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-Highlights.asp

I didn't realize how far the parking garage was from the terminal.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jul 24, 2014 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 4:41 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

From the June 14 Presentation. More timeline and airport layout updates. We still don't know what level one will look like. It looks like the airport will have 3 gates for large airplanes.

The third level for people departing; getting your boarding pass:

The second level for TSA processing and arrivals (featuring the large meet and greet area). Also baggage claim:

An updated construction timeline:

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jul 24, 2014 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
The SLC Int Airport has this posted on the new airport page:

http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-Highlights.asp

I didn't realize how far the parking garage was from the terminal.
Damn. Well, my dad always told me when I was growing up that 8 city blocks in SLC equaled one mile. I don't know if that's true, but that's a lot of moving walkways in that terminal and parking space.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 11:58 AM

In our opinion: Airport expansion reflects the growing vitality of Utah's national and global links

Deseret News editorial

Published: Friday, July 25 2014

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...bal-links.html

The forthcoming expansion of the Salt Lake International Airport, one of the largest public works projects in Utah history, will have a sizable impact on the efficiency of domestic and international air travel. It will also elevate the stature of the community it serves in a way that will pay dividends for decades to come.

The dimensions of the project are impressive. At $1.8 billion, the cost is comparable to that of the giant rebuilding of I-15 through the Salt Lake Valley, which cost $1.5 billion in 2001 dollars. It will cost more than the sprawling National Security Agency complex in Bluffdale, and carries a price tag slightly higher than the total amount of money the state spends annually on all transportation construction and operations...

It’s important to note that Salt Lake International is already one of the country’s best airports. It ranks 94th among the world’s top 100 airports, and is one of only 15 American airports on that list. It is currently ranked as the most efficient airport in the U.S. as measured by the percentage of on-time arrivals and departures. It is the 21st busiest airport in the country, even though the Salt Lake metropolitan area ranks 35 in population.

The new airport will be even busier, more efficient and in terms of aesthetics, a sleeker, grander and more welcoming threshold for the millions of visitors who pass through its gates. For many, it will deliver their first impression of Utah, and architectural plans suggest that impression will be a good one. The terminals will have glass walls that offer floor-to-ceiling views of the Wasatch range and will incorporate design elements planners say are intended to convey a “sense of place.”...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:42 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Delta will fly Salt Lake City to Amsterdam, beginning May 1st, 2015. The flight will be operated with the Boeing 767-300ER.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-may-1-a.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Delta will fly Salt Lake City to Amsterdam, beginning May 1st, 2015. The flight will be operated with the Boeing 767-300ER.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-may-1-a.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 1:27 AM

Rad. I was hoping that flight would show up sometime. Hopefully an Asian flight re-emerges at some point. Would love to see an international carrier at the airport as well, like British Airways to LHR or something.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Rad. I was hoping that flight would show up sometime. Hopefully an Asian flight re-emerges at some point. Would love to see an international carrier at the airport as well, like British Airways to LHR or something.
I would love that.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 1:25 AM

SLC - Mexico City flight on Delta to start in December.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 2:03 AM

All these international flights that are coming available is awesome.

I could have used that direct flight to Mexico City last fall on my way to Peru. I had an awful layover at LAX.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 2:39 AM

SLC is growing nicely with these international destinations combined with the new airport.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 10:18 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Have any of you been out to the airport lately? There has been a ton of earth/dirt moving with tons of backhoes ( at least 10 or so ) digging the area up. This is the field south of the long term parking as you first enter the airport. This redevelopment is in full swing.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 5:44 PM

Frontier starting flights to Chicago and Phoenix and American is starting a flight to Miami

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Frontier starting flights to Chicago and Phoenix and American is starting a flight to Miami
I've never been more afraid for my life than on a Frontier flight from Denver to Chicago. Scary Airlines.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I've never been more afraid for my life than on a Frontier flight from Denver to Chicago. Scary Airlines.
I kind of like how they have you set up your own folding chair and bring your own seatbelt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West