Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 6:12 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
In my list of desirability:

1. Quebec City Winter Games
2. Toronto (and maybe Montreal) Summer Games
3. Vancouver or Calgary Winter Games
I'd rather have the Summer Olympics. We've had 2 Winter Olympics since 1976 Montreal. Hosting spurs investment which spurs success (medals). We're already strong in winter sports. It's in summer sports where we have an infrastructure and funding deficit. Toronto has bid and failed twice. Maybe it's time to submit Vancouver as our Summer Olympics candidate city. If Brisbane can bid there's no reason why Vancouver can't.

1. Vancouver 2036 Summer Olympics
2. Quebec City 2050 Winter Olympics

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:25 PM

Olympics are nothing but bad news for residents and taxpayers and a politicians and developer's wet dream.

They have absolutely no benefit to a city and this notion that it brings new transit infrastructure is crap. Lines that were built were going to be built regardless and while they may advance projects you end up getting inferior lines built to the lowest standards to meet deadlines ie Canada Line.

They do increase tourism but actually hurt local business because people avoid the city during the games due to traffic and closed streets.

Olympics also {despite what they promise} always result in poor people and renters being kicked out of their housing thru 'renovictions' replaced with vastly more expensive ones. They also a boon to people with multiple properties as they are used as AB&B throwing the current tenants out. In a nation with a critical shortage of affordable rentals and sky-high real estate prices, this is the last thing we need.

There is a reason why the biggest backers of Olympic bids are always developers and the politicians they bribe and biggest resistance from the people who actually live in the city itself.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I doubt he'd go for it. Sadly the Olympics and the IOC have become symbols of politico-corporate cronyism at its worst, something that Neil Young abhors.
Neil Young performed at the closing ceremonies in Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Good point. Though looking forward some years down the line, if he's still alive I am not sure Neil Young would have the right demographic profile to headline a big show for Olympics hosted by Canada.

Not being an ass. Just being realistic.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
I was so into those Olympics, I took vacation time, I was couch potato for almost all of them, and I actually teared up when I watched Neil's performance as the flame went out. Even now as I watched this clip, I got goose bumps.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 11:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^nice. I missed it originally, as I turned off my tv as soon as Nickelback started their awfulness.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 2:29 PM

To me, the musical highlight of the Vancouver Olympics was that KD Lange's performance
of Hallelujah. The whole viewing world was in awe. I know we were, and performances like that are special and happen rarely. Even Leonard himself said afterwards that the song now belonged to her. Sorry Jeff Buckley!

That said, I don't believe in 50/50 joint ventures on two major cities hosting something like the Olympics. If anything, the spotlight should be on just one city during those two weeks.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Has there ever been a joint two city bid for the Summer Olympics before?. I'm guessing as the number of individual cities that bid for the Olympics continue to decline, the ICO options may decrease and two city bids may become more common.

That said I wonder if Calgary and Edmonton could put forward a successful Summer games bid. The two cities already have combined 3 million people, which is same size as Brisbane and if the two Alberta cities were to bid in the 2040s they would have probably well over 4 million people between the two by then.

The infrastructure is largely already in place with track and field at Commonwealth stadium. Edmonton is currently planning on replacing Argyll velodrome with an indoor track. Calgary has the Olympic oval that could be converted to a indoor Summer sports venue and the city already has plans on expansion Repsol Sports Centre for Aquatics, Canada's best facility for equestrian is already at Spruce Meadows. Mountain biking in Kananaskis, whitewater kayak in Canmore.

The only sports that I don't know a venue for would be sailing and surfing. I think having sailing venue in Yellowknife on Great Slave Lake would be interesting. Surfing at Tofino in BC maybe the only option, even though technically West Ed Mall has world's largest wave pool and Tokyo Olympics originally considered holding surfing on artifical waves. Either way shouldn't be a deal breaker since other cities don't have local surfing venues either. Paris Olympics surfing will be in Tahiti on opposite side of planet.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 7:20 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiedawg View Post
Has there ever been a joint two city bid for the Summer Olympics before?. I'm guessing as the number of individual cities that bid for the Olympics continue to decline, the ICO options may decrease and two city bids may become more common.

That said I wonder if Calgary and Edmonton could put forward a successful Summer games bid. The two cities already have combined 3 million people, which is same size as Brisbane and if the two Alberta cities were to bid in the 2040s they would have probably well over 4 million people between the two by then.

The infrastructure is largely already in place with track and field at Commonwealth stadium. Edmonton is currently planning on replacing Argyll velodrome with an indoor track. Calgary has the Olympic oval that could be converted to a indoor Summer sports venue and the city already has plans on expansion Repsol Sports Centre for Aquatics, Canada's best facility for equestrian is already at Spruce Meadows. Mountain biking in Kananaskis, whitewater kayak in Canmore.

The only sports that I don't know a venue for would be sailing and surfing. I think having sailing venue in Yellowknife on Great Slave Lake would be interesting. Surfing at Tofino in BC maybe the only option, even though technically West Ed Mall has world's largest wave pool and Tokyo Olympics originally considered holding surfing on artifical waves. Either way shouldn't be a deal breaker since other cities don't have local surfing venues either. Paris Olympics surfing will be in Tahiti on opposite side of planet.
The IOC has never entertained a 2 city joint bid for a Summer Olympics. They do for the Winter Olympics due to the need for both a sizeable host city but also a place with a suitable mountain. It's not often one finds both in the same place. If cities stop bidding for the Summer Olympics perhaps the IOC will compromise but for now they're still looking for 1 city to bid. It will be interesting to see what their response is to a Montreal - Toronto bid.

Regarding an Alberta Summer Olympics I wouldn't rule it out a few decades from now but Calgary and Edmonton would need to double in size. I don't think people appreciate what a huge event the Summer Olympics is. The number of tourists and media that show up dictates why only large metros bid on them. I'm not sure even Calgary and Edmonton together have anywhere close to the hotel room needed to stage a Summer Olympics. And visitors want stuff to do when they're not at an event. The city cores of these cities have a long way to go on that front.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 10:14 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
To me, the musical highlight of the Vancouver Olympics was that KD Lange's performance
of Hallelujah. The whole viewing world was in awe. I know we were, and performances like that are special and happen rarely. Even Leonard himself said afterwards that the song now belonged to her. Sorry Jeff Buckley!
Agreed

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 10:20 PM

Yeah, KD Lang was something else at Vancouver 2010.

I always felt like she never got her due, she is such an amazing singer of every genre she's ever tackled.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 12:55 AM

Hey, remember this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N2tLfGUPwU

Best song of the Olympics! Hearing it 100 or so times during the 16 day event wasn't enough! I brought it back just for you fine folks!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Hey, remember this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N2tLfGUPwU

Best song of the Olympics! Hearing it 100 or so times during the 16 day event wasn't enough! I brought it back just for you fine folks!
I loved that song, but yeah, it got a little bit overblown, being the official song that the consortium played coming and going from every commercial lol

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 5:09 PM

Just to revisit, and for those that never caught it when it aired in 2010.
She restrains herself at first, then opens up as it gets going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOQSk_cMO0

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The IOC has never entertained a 2 city joint bid for a Summer Olympics. They do for the Winter Olympics due to the need for both a sizeable host city but also a place with a suitable mountain. It's not often one finds both in the same place. If cities stop bidding for the Summer Olympics perhaps the IOC will compromise but for now they're still looking for 1 city to bid. It will be interesting to see what their response is to a Montreal - Toronto bid.

Regarding an Alberta Summer Olympics I wouldn't rule it out a few decades from now but Calgary and Edmonton would need to double in size. I don't think people appreciate what a huge event the Summer Olympics is. The number of tourists and media that show up dictates why only large metros bid on them. I'm not sure even Calgary and Edmonton together have anywhere close to the hotel room needed to stage a Summer Olympics. And visitors want stuff to do when they're not at an event. The city cores of these cities have a long way to go on that front.
The IOC might not have considered dual city bids yet but looking at soccer might give us a hint at what's to come. The World Cup is still a one country show in 2022 but for 2026 it will be split with Canada/USA/Mex.

Euro cup also went from single country, to two country bids (Ukraine/Poland; austria/swiss), and now down to individual stadium/city bids. I know theyre back to just Germany for 2024 but it goes to show that there is flexibility in hosting different formats than a single city/country and still have a successful sporting event.

If the IOC keeps getting lackluster bids then it might have to be more flexible in their approach and demands

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 11:36 PM

Apparently Vancouver is seriously considering a formal bid to host the 2030 Winter games.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2150058

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:34 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
The IOC might not have considered dual city bids yet but looking at soccer might give us a hint at what's to come. The World Cup is still a one country show in 2022 but for 2026 it will be split with Canada/USA/Mex.
The 2002 World Cup was split between South Korea & Japan. It wasn't necessarily a harbinger for WCs but it was for smaller international tournaments (EUROs, etc.). World Cups probably become more multi-host in the future as the field widens, particularly in 2030 for the 100th anniversary event supposedly happening in South America. Beyond that there's still countries like Australia and China capable of hosting on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Apparently Vancouver is seriously considering a formal bid to host the 2030 Winter games.
Really makes you think about the supposed interest from the Canadian Olympic Committee (which spurned this thread to life) on Toronto/Montreal, if that story is to be believed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada