HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 6:36 AM

New York City in 2011

Almost 10 years ago in June 2011 me and my wife visited New York City for the very first time. I thought it would be fun to post photos from our trip as a fun curiosity as the city has changed so significantly since then...

Our flight from Berlin arrived at JFK.

The LIRR train took us to Pennsylvania Station on Manhattan. Welcome to the concrete jungle!

First of our two accommodations in the city was the beautiful Hotel New Yorker which is full of art deco details.

We got lucky and were upgraded to a large 39th floor sub-penthouse suite that offered fantastic views of surrounding Midtown.

On breakfast next morning.

Our first destination a visit to Times Square only a short walk from the hotel. Times Square blew us away even after being some crazy parts of Tokyo! We absolutely loved the buzz of this area.

Little did we know at this time, but we would return to New York on the last days of 2018 to celebrate NYE here on Times Square, seeing also the famous ball drop.

That's all for part 1 of this photo tour of the city and its many sights. I took nearly 2400 photos during the trip, so there is much, much more to come!

Last edited by Klazu; Jan 3, 2022 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 7:40 AM

Man it's just the same year and almost same month that I visited NYC in May 2011.

Man I wish I stayed at that killer view hotel room but I ain't that rich on budget.

Man why didn't I meet that naked cowgirl while strolling in Manhattan, I really liked her outfit...I would tip her $20-$30 to take photos with her...I love real-life naked women.

Klaus is a rich man and beyond middle class no matter how many times he denies it. The overall quality and aesthetic of photos stand on top on ssp forum.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:42 AM

One of the most important sights in the city is of course the 102-story Empire State Building from 1931.

Rising 443 metres and 1,454 feet above the streets of Manhattan.

ESB is another art deco masterpiece and the lobby alone is spectacular.

First elevator takes one up to the 80th floor.

After long line-ups and two elevators, we had finally made it to the observation deck above the city.

Classic view of Manhattan looks epic.

Flatiron Building marks where Fifth Avenue and Broadway intersect.

Lower Manhattan skyscrapers.

One World Trade Center was still being built back in 2011. I loved visiting the completed observation deck in 2018.

Jersey City across Hudson River has also seen new skyscrapers go up since our visit.

Liberty Island in the distance.

Busy Midtown streets below.

Looking north, all recent supertall buildings were still plans ten years ago.

30 Rockefeller Plaza observation deck is another epic place to visit high above Manhattan.

Chrysler Building is a New York City icon.

View towards Brooklyn.

View from the upper observatory on the 102nd floor. Also this view looks very different today after completion of Hudson Yards.

Back on the ground walking up Broadway.

More to come...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i'm kinda picky about times square shots and i have to say yours are really great -- they do capture the traditional feel of the place well.

can't believe i am missing crowds like that.

well not really, lol, wellll ... really. ugh.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 10:46 PM

Great collection of photos! I especially liked your photos from the ESB of the Flatiron Building and the close-up of Chelsea rooftops with all the water towers. Next time I visit NYC, I’ll also have to visit the lobby of The New Yorker. Beautiful lobby & mural.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:52 PM

Thanks for your comments. The New Yorker is a fairly inexpensive hotel for its beautiful architecture and the lobby alone is worth checking out. Location is also great nearby many transit options.

Yeah, I bet Times Square looks quite different these days, which is a shame, as there is normally so much life in that area!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:53 PM

After visiting the iconic Empire State Building, we enjoyed a nice stroll up Broadway all the way to Times Square. It was lunch time and as tourists we decided to try out the Planet Hollywood restaurant.

After a mediocre lunch we wanted to enjoy afternoon drinks and decided to check out the city's only rooftop revolving restaurant on top of the Marriott Marquis hotel. I am surprised by the absence of more revolving restaurants as the views were really nice.

Even though the restaurant is located on the 48th floor, the views are still obstructed by tall buildings around it.

To complete our day of doing touristy things, we visited Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. It was our first time and still the only time to one, even though one opened also back in Berlin later on. It was actually a nice visit and writing this makes me now wonder why we haven't visited another one?

The visit was certainly worth it as the was figures are very life-like and their posture allows for fun photos to take home.

Next day we would visit many key sights on the Lower Manhattan, so more to come...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:11 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Beautiful photos. It is amazing how the skylines of Manhattan, Long Island City and Jersey City have changed since your visit. You'll have to come back!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:10 PM

Terrific photos! There's an interesting distant view of downtown Manhattan early in the thread, and I was thinking "what part of the city is that"? I had forgotten One World Trade Center hadn't gone up yet, so I didn't recognize it as downtown. Also, the Wax Museum photos are a hoot

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

holy toledo — wax museum pics for the win!

you are due for a return. honestly i would wait until 2022 tho, but do come back for an update!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 4:44 AM

Thanks guys. We have been back once more in 2018 when we were in town to celebrate the NYE at Times Square. It was interesting to see One World Trade Center completed and see all the new supertall buildings of Midtown.

One day I will perhaps get to posting photos from that trip!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 4:47 AM

Our next day started off cloudy as we made our way to Lower Manhattan or "Downtown". Riding on the New York City Subway is somewhat of an experience as the system is just so vast with long trains departing every few minutes. To tourists like us it seems like an impressive and efficient mass transit system.

We boarded a train at Pennsylvania Station which is located below the world-renowned Madison Square Garden.

We rode a train down to City Hall Station which is surrounded by the beautiful Woolworth Building. Standing 241 metres (792 ft) tall, it was the world's tallest building between 1910 and 1930 and is still an impressive sight! I was hoping to visit the lobby but it didn't seem accessible at that time, so we only marveled at the architecture from outside.

As the station's name suggests, New York City Hall is located at the middle of the park with other city buildings around it.

Frank Gehry's 8 Spruce Street had just opened to residents few months earlier and was one of the tallest residential building in the city. This modern building has 76 floors and stands 265 metres (870 ft) tall.

This are is also where Brooklyn Bridge connects Manhattan with the borough of Brooklyn. It is possible to walk across the bridge and we would do that on another day.

Pier 17 is an interesting quick stop nearby with historic ships docked.

It being June, we were a bit surprised to find a store specialized in Christmas decorations being open for business.

Time to venture deeper into Downtown.

Being a first-time tourist in New York, one can't help but constantly look up to marvel all these skyscrapers.

Not too far from Pier 17 is where a fairly narrow street named Wall Street is located. It is the pulsating heart of the financial world with its famous stock exchange. There is no visiting the building but it looks nice from the outside.

From there we would continue our walk towards the southern tip of Manhattan with many more photos coming soon. I hope you are enjoying this blast from the past!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 9:16 PM

old times

Good "old" times... when NY taxis were still mostly crown victorias.. and not jap hybrids. Doesnt fit NY at all... maybe fits Tokyo but not NY..

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:15 AM

Exploring the area beyond Wall Street.

Trinity Church was the tallest building in New York City until 1890 and is one of the oldest buildings in the area.

Charging bull nearby is a very popular selfie spot.

Possible snake-oil salesmen or just two crazy dudes?

Street performers are plentiful around Battery Park.

The Sphere is a sculpture that survived the collapse of the World Trade Center towers and has since been moved to Battery Park.

Staten Island ferries depart from Whitehall Terminal at the southern tip of Manhattan. It's a nice and best of all completely free cruise on the ferry.

Views of Lower Manhattan are great as the ferry departs.

Jersey City on the other side of Hudson River.

The ferry is popular among tourists due to its great - and did I say FREE - view of the Statue of Liberty.

Once the ferry reaches State Island, most people just turn around and return to Manhattan. Also we didn't venture further but stayed for 30 minutes to enjoy the views.

Manhattan in the distance.

Back on Manhattan, we visited next the tragic Ground Zero where the World Trade Center towers once stood tall.

Back in 2011, Ground Zero was still a massive construction site and construction continues still to this day. We did return to the area in 2018 to check out the excellent 9/11 museum and the views from top of One World Trade Center which was still under construction in 2011..

Unused subway platform below World Trade Center, where we took a train back to our hotel.

Next day we would be exploring the Greenwich Village. Stay tuned!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:29 AM

These photos are great. Looking forward to the rest, and hopefully the 2018 ones as well!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 2:40 AM

Great photos! I haven’t been to NYC in ages. So many places I need to get back to...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 9:49 PM

Thank you for the stroll down memory lane, before all those butt ugly supertall towers insulted the skyline!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:05 AM

Alright, time to explore NYC some more!

It was going to be a beautiful day and so we walked to Madison Square Park to start our day. The park is located where the Fifth Avenue and Broadway meet each other.

Standing by the park is the famous Flatiron Building from 1902.When it was constructed, people were convinced that it would tip over in strong winds, which hasn't happened to this day.

View towards and from the Empire State Building.

We continued our walk south, walking across Union Square.

Washington Square Park a bit further south is a green oasis in the middle of a busy university campus.

There was a science fair in the park on that day which was fun to watch.

Our main destination was Greenwich Village which we absolutely loved as this picturesque area is an quintessential part of the New York City vibe.

The Magnolia Bakery became famous after being featured on the Sex and the City series and has since become a bakery chain.

There are several movie and television set buildings in the area, although most of the productions themselves were shot in studio. Do you perhaps recognize this famous building?

How about these famous stairs?

We had a wonderful day touring this beautiful area and would next be exploring some naval sights of Manhattan.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 4:16 AM
Red October standing by

danke. amazing, thank you for posting. i can't wait to go back once this damn pandemic wanes out. my 4-year-old really want to go too, he's never been.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 6:11 PM

To end our busy day exploring Manhattan, we spent the afternoon visiting the excellent Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.

USS Intrepid from 1943 is a huge ship and 266 meters in length.

Visiting the commanding bridge deck.

Midtown Manhattan is very prominent from the deck.

Cruise ships dock on piers next door.

Various aircraft on display.

USS Growler is a former Navy submarine from 1958.

Space inside the sub is very tight.

Third and final highlight of the museum is one of the few Concorde supersonic airplanes that ever got built.It is still such a beautiful plane, 40 years later.

The famous photograph of the deadly incident that begun the demise of this wonderful plane.

Inside, all of the cabin was first class and flying supersonic wasn't cheap.

The plane being built in the 70s, there are no electronics onboard Concorde. Just a lot of buttons and dials everywhere!

It is such a shame what happened to Concorde.

After the museum we paid yet another visit to the ever-busy Times Square.

There is always something to see on Times Square.

Next part on this trip will have us explore the Fifth Avenue area. Stay tuned!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos