HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:34 PM
BANNED

Cornerstone Apartments

According to an ITB from Madison Construction- 65 fresh apartments coming to Hyde Park area. 24 rehabs at 4950 S Langley, 21 rehabs at 5033 S Evans and 3 new 3-story apartment buildings in the 600 block of E 50th. This is all near the northeast corner of Washington Park. Good for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
According to an ITB from Madison Construction- 65 fresh apartments coming to Hyde Park area. 24 rehabs at 4950 S Langley, 21 rehabs at 5033 S Evans and 3 new 3-story apartment buildings in the 600 block of E 50th. This is all near the northeast corner of Washington Park. Good for the neighborhood.
The Hyde Park boom is growing and starting to push gentrification into the surrounding areas which is really the first step the South Side needs before we can see widespread change down there. Hyde Park is the last foothold of growth on the south side and can send out tendrils in all directions if it takes the next step from a nice area because U of C keeps it nice to a nice area because it is a nice place to live with good amenities.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The Hyde Park boom is growing and starting to push gentrification into the surrounding areas which is really the first step the South Side needs before we can see widespread change down there. Hyde Park is the last foothold of growth on the south side and can send out tendrils in all directions if it takes the next step from a nice area because U of C keeps it nice to a nice area because it is a nice place to live with good amenities.
Wut?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 3:20 AM

I hope someone will post pictures of the Vue53 site and the LaQuinta Hotel renovation. I am not in the area and curious to see how these are coming along. Thank you!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Wut?
How do you not understand that? I am basically saying Hyde Park is and has always been sorta the last foothold of gentrification on the South Side. All the neighborhoods around it were wiped out and went South. Now with Hyde Park booming so hard, growth and redevelopment is starting to creep slowly out of Hyde Park and into the surrounding areas that were pretty well bombed out by the race riots and decades of institutionalized poverty.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
How do you not understand that? I am basically saying Hyde Park is and has always been sorta the last foothold of gentrification on the South Side. All the neighborhoods around it were wiped out and went South. Now with Hyde Park booming so hard, growth and redevelopment is starting to creep slowly out of Hyde Park and into the surrounding areas that were pretty well bombed out by the race riots and decades of institutionalized poverty.
I understand this sentence. I do not understand the nice sentence.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I understand this sentence. I do not understand the nice sentence.
Oh, what I was saying is that U of C has been the only reason Hyde Park stayed "nice", but now it is transition to an area that more or less stands on it's own with a population outside of the U of C dependent population. In other words: there seems to now be a much larger population of people living in Hyde Park that are NOT affiliated with U of C. I think this is an important step to take in terms of getting people to stick around that area after they graduate building the population living in the area and therefore pushing the gentrification to creep outwards in search of more housing stock.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchi View Post
Hyde Park's ascent is getting noticed:

"The Hyde Park Boom"
http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-ad...-boom/#image/1

and 5/28 from Chicagoist:

"A10 Draws Diners to Hyde Park"
http://chicagoist.com/2014/05/28/a10...ners_south.php
I've had lunch at A10 a few times now, it's pretty good!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 2:03 AM

From talking with a friend I've heard some buzz that The Promontory is aiming to open in July but haven't set a final date yet.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 4:26 AM
THAT Guy

Looks like Marshalls will in fact take most of the second floor retail space in City Hyde Park.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 9:40 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

If we can get some good developments in Bronzeville then Hyde Park and Kenwood could be connected directly to downtown without being surrounded by tough neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
If we can get some good developments in Bronzeville then Hyde Park and Kenwood could be connected directly to downtown without being surrounded by tough neighborhoods.
with all the development and gentrification in the area i'm sure that will happen in the next 10-15 years

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post

There's been a bunch of small developments to go up in Bronzeville in the last few years..a sizable one is nearing completion, actually.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 9:09 PM

I got an exact height today for City Hyde Park - it will be 172'-0.5" (52.4 m) tall. Here are some photos taken today:

EDIT: I made a 4-inch adjustment based on closer reading of the elevations. The figure above is correct now.

Last edited by Dan in Chicago; Jul 15, 2014 at 1:59 AM. Reason: corrected height based on closer blueprint reading

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
From talking with a friend I've heard some buzz that The Promontory is aiming to open in July but haven't set a final date yet.
some pics. place looks amazing

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/20...ark-photos.php

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 9:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 12:18 AM

Full permit for City Hyde Park was issued on the 15th. I'm eager to see it rise out of the ground soon.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:55 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That's great news!

Also, saw that McHugh is taking subcontractor bids for Vue53 this week.

Does anybody know the status of that nuisance lawsuit that was filed against it? Hopefully it's already been tossed, or will be shortly, so that this project can get going in the next month or so as well......

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:23 PM
The City

^ It was tossed a while back

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ That's great news!

Also, saw that McHugh is taking subcontractor bids for Vue53 this week.

Does anybody know the status of that nuisance lawsuit that was filed against it? Hopefully it's already been tossed, or will be shortly, so that this project can get going in the next month or so as well......
It's not really clear what the hell is going on with Vue53. I live a block away from the site and they posted this notice months ago:
http://i.imgur.com/A4M2pgC.jpg
And the date fits with a foundation permit that was issued on May 21.
The HP NIMBYs filed an appeal back in July, but I haven't heard anything since other than a mention somewhere that construction is to start in September. It sounds like if McHugh is taking bids things finally might be back on track.

Last edited by ChickeNES; Sep 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Image was way too large

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development