Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

888 Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Seattle Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Seattle Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 11:45 PM
Never Dell

No.

Nobody knows whether Gensler is the architect. They did a model when they pursued the job, and left it in their lobby. Someone took pictures. That's it.

Maybe they're the architect, but nobody annouced that. Even if they were, who knows if the plan has anything to do with the model.

But this is SSP so things just keep living....

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
No.

Nobody knows whether Gensler is the architect. They did a model when they pursued the job, and left it in their lobby. Someone took pictures. That's it.

Maybe they're the architect, but nobody annouced that. Even if they were, who knows if the plan has anything to do with the model.

But this is SSP so things just keep living....
It's the only thing we got, so it should fit the spot for now.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:57 AM
Never Dell

I find that bizarre. Some people think that represents an actual proposal. If the project makes progress at some point and comes out with a rendering, I bet some noob says "they changed the design."

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Does anybody happen to have the rendering of this tower saved to their PC? I want to add it to YIMBY, but can't find it. I know the developer had it on their website, but took it down after a couple of days. If anybody has it saved or knows of a source, pm me.

Thanks
I believe this is the photo is the photo you are for.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:18 AM
Never Dell

Can't it at least be called "One architect's proposal" for this project? Nobody has announced whether the architect is even associated with the project.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyleraf View Post
Wow. Yes sir it is. Thanks so much

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 3:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Can't it at least be called "One architect's proposal" for this project? Nobody has announced whether the architect is even associated with the project.
Of course time will tell, but I just wanted it for the sake of the thread over at YIMBY. Just something that could spark a discussion and possibly give an idea of what it may look like.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:00 AM

That is a nice looking render!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyleraf View Post
Wow, I'm not even sure if I've seen that photo before! That looks great!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:27 AM

With Rainier Tower proposal, and this proposal.... incredible! Like Calgary's Downtown, all the height is on one end of downtown and gradually decreases!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:42 AM

Whether or not it is the official design, I do like the design for this tower.

However, I definitely think a smaller tower with a ped bridge at the top connecting the two, as with the 08 proposed tower, is a better design.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Urban Visions hires NBBJ for new tower

Quote:
Urban Visions has selected NBBJ to design a tower at Second Avenue and Marion Street, said Greg Smith, the firm's founder and CEO.

Smith said his firm is starting the permitting process for the building, which will have about 1.1 million square feet of office space and include retail.

The Metropolitan Grill, which is now on the site, will be part of the mix.

Smith said his firm is studying whether to include housing, likely condos, on the top floors.

The firm had filed plans earlier this year to build up to 77 stories, but will come out with a revised plan soon — after it decides on the housing.

No construction date has been set.

Ryan Mullenix with NBBJ is the lead designer. Magnusson Klemencic Associates is the structural engineer.

Urban Visions is also developing an office building in Pioneer Square as the new headquarters for Weyerhaeuser Co. In Seattle, the developer also plans a tower at Second Avenue and Pike Street, and a 1.1 million-square-foot campus called Stadium East near CenturyLink and Safeco fields. NBBJ is the architect for the campus. Mithun is designing the Pioneer Square building at 200 Occidental; and Olson Kundig Architects and Ankrom Moisan Architects are designing the Second and Pike project.

Smith said both the tower at Second and Marion, now named 888 2ND, and Stadium East will be iconic projects.

Stadium East will have seven buildings that range from 120,000 to 420,000 square feet and there will be ground-level retail. He said Urban Visions soon will start design work on that project.

Daniels Real Estate and Schnitzer West are developing office towers near the planned Second and Marion project.

Smith said the other projects won't have water views like 888 2ND will because “there's nothing in front of us.” He said they will be “background buildings.”

The developer said 888 2nd and Stadium East will be designed to encourage workers to be productive and creative, and to make it easier for companies to recruit them.

Older office buildings don't have the systems, bathrooms and elevators to accommodate the increasing number of workers per square foot that companies are putting in offices, nor do they have the high ceilings, natural light and operable windows, Smith said. The office projects Urban Visions plans are being designed for the next generation of users, he said.

South Lake Union has been an epicenter of development for a number of years. Smith said that energy is expanding south in the city, as more housing gets created and more companies set up shop there. The area also has good transit and less traffic than South Lake Union, he said.
==================================
October 16, 2014
http://www.djc.com/news/ae/12070907.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:39 PM

Too bad Gensler is out, but NBBJ also looks to be known for highly modern designs. They designed the headquarters for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the future Amazon HQ biosphere bubbles.

It also looks like they're either keeping the height at 77 stories, or possibly going taller with the addition of residential floors. The project sounds alive and well!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:56 PM
Never Dell

They're probably starting that question from scratch...how do they get the allowed 1.1 msf in with the best marketability/cost ratio, and same on the housing which doesn't count against FAR.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The possibility of this being over 350m is exciting, but the thing I wonder is how the FAA will react? IDK, it just seems that we could get something even in the 400m range or higher, but run into some FAA issues.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:05 PM

1.1 million square feet of office space plus ground floor retail would probably only put this at a height of 850-900 feet. Residential on top would put this over 1000 feet. 300-350 meters tall? Probably. Anything over 350 meters is unlikely.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

True. If they taper it, it could be quite high or even include some sort of spire. But I doubt the new design will look like the old. Hopefully something similar. It could be done though if they play around with the design. But I think what is important is that this project is alive and well. For a couple of months, I was starting to think it was dead due to the lack of recent updates.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
True. If they taper it, it could be quite high or even include some sort of spire. But I doubt the new design will look like the old. Hopefully something similar. It could be done though if they play around with the design. But I think what is important is that this project is alive and well. For a couple of months, I was starting to think it was dead due to the lack of recent updates.
I think it's still pretty unlikely, or at least 5 or so years minimum away. I think the Developer has very little in his development portfolio to pull off a Supertall, but I wouldn't rule it out. Honestly, I think the best bet would be for this developer to sell it off to someone with more experience.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:28 PM
them bones

Quote:
They're probably starting that question from scratch...how do they get the allowed 1.1 msf in with the best marketability/cost ratio, and same on the housing which doesn't count against FAR.
Shush you! How dare you inject real world constraints into forumers wet dreams!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:09 PM
good time not a long time

So after Gensler did not get the job they made a new site for this building with new renderings and an official height: 1200'

http://www.gensler.com/projects/888-second-avenue?o=26

What could have been....

Here's hoping NBBJ has come up with something that can match that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals