Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 6:47 AM
maverick

Sokolinaja Gora/ Monte Falcone l 135 m l 35 fl l

Just finished.

by bolik Sept 2007

by igor Oct 2007

by Aleksey Dec 2007

and another one from LiveJournal

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 12:02 AM
maverick

Gradex l ~125 m l 37 ? fl l

sergeypiano June 2006

Kventz May 2007

Brad Aug 2007

ulex Sept 2007

igor Oct 2007

Abwer Nov 2007

ulex Jan 2008

Abwer Feb 2007

Brad Feb 2007

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
World’s Biggest Building Coming to Moscow: Crystal Island

Moscow’s rapidly growing skyline will soon feature an eye-popping new addition: Crystal Island, which will be the world’s biggest building when completed. Sir Norman Foster’s mountainous 27 million square feet (~2,5miljoen m²) spiraling “city within a building” will cost $4 billion (4 miljard dollar=2,7miljard euro) and it is scheduled to be built within next 5 years.

[...]

The statistics for the project are absolutely staggering; floor area alone will be four times the size of Pentagon in Washington DC. The incredible 1500 ft (~450m). tall multi use structure will feature 900 apartments, 3000 hotel rooms, an international school for 500 students, cinemas, a theater, sports complex and much more. There will also be a 16,500 space underground parking lot for all the visitors. The Crystal Island visitors will be able to enjoy panoramic views of Moscow on the viewing platforms located 980 ft.(~300m) above ground.
doesn't this seem just a bit ridiculous? just think of the traffic jams this thing is going to create. to say nothing of the size. it looks like ego run wild.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 1:40 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm
doesn't this seem just a bit ridiculous? just think of the traffic jams this thing is going to create.
I am not so sure about traffic jams. Somehow I suspect people who plan it are not total idiots and will figure out logistics before it is built. For instance, I heard that there will be a metro station on the island (existing line goes under it).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:38 AM

warning - rant:

the metro? are you kidding me? NO ONE who has any self-respect (i'm told) takes the metro these days (i'm rolling my eyes, but friends in moscow insist that they absolutely have to drive to work - that the mere thought of anyone seeing them coming out of the metro gives them shudders. in fact, one i know drives an hour and a half each way from chertanovskaya to dobryninskaya - the height of madness, in my book, given that's about 18 minutes on the metro).

ok, sarcasm aside, i was actually quite appalled at the degree of pomposity and the obsession with prestige when i visited this past fall. ok, given i'm writing from portland, oregon, where anything big is automatically viewed with a high degree of suspicion, but i know moscow pretty well and will even admit (sheepishly) to being impressed by wide avenues and massive ministries - but this project is just ridiculous. i'm sure the builders aren't idiots, but i have to suspect that the first thing on their minds is that those arabs (!) down in dubai (!!) are building all this wild architecture, how can we let them outdo us??? oh yeah, traffic and so on, sure, no eto melochi, ne interesno, glavnoye: PO-BOL'SHE!!!!! (i PO-DOROZHE!!!!!!!!!!)

as my wife and i were discussing this today (gleefully "vorchatting"), she pointed out the beginning scenes of Sluzhebniy Roman, where Myakgov is going on and on about "gorod slyshkom zabyt lyudmi, slyshkom bol'shoi", but, while on the surface he may be complaining, in fact there's this inner gordost' at the thought that, yes, moscow is indeed a big deal, a player on the world stage, exciting, dynamic, full of crowds and traffic - just like NYC or London or Tokyo. and of course, that film was made back in the 70's; these days i hear that attitude loud and clear bez kontsa. it used to be "we've got the biggest dams in the world" (or, the joke goes, "the biggest pocket calculators in the world!!", now it's "the biggest traffic jams in the world", which are presented as proof that moscow is not an overgrown village, but an Actual City.

also, given the buildings in the background (on the opposite riverbank) this looks like it's on Prospekt Andropova (link) - unless they build totally new roads *through ZIL* (which, ok, that might be possible, they're removing a bunch of ZIL, anyway, right?), the only access will be across one bridge each from the north and south. an excellent recipe for a traffic disaster. sure it's a spectacular setting, but geez...

[and, my wife adds, what happens when the turkish construction firm, in order to meet deadlines, builds too quickly, the cement doesn't cure long enough and then one winter evening the snow collects just a little too deeply on that spectacular glass roof...]

Last edited by bvpcvm; Feb 19, 2008 at 7:42 AM. Reason: ridiculous grammar error

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:52 AM

^ actually, some further googling revealed a few other renderings in which it appears at least one other multilane road (with tunnel under the river, it looks like) will be built.

also, yes, anm, you're right about the metro station, it's called TeknoPark. it's actually being built for another development, which is currently under construction on the south half or so of what used to be ZIL.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:10 AM

one other complaint about all this new development, if i may. i think some muscovites are so carried away with this whole obsession with prestige and security ("you see? i'm so important, you can't even approach my building!"), that they're forgetting some of the positive things of soviet planning. for one thing (i admit this is theoretical and wasn't always carried out this way - but at least there was a theory!), buildings were built with a certain amount of space between them, which allowed for sunlight to reach even the first floors. there was quite often retail space on the ground floor, and cars definitely took second place to pedestrians. you could actually go for a walk around your neighborhood.

now, however, all these elitniye buildings are being built surrounded by large parking lots, security gates with their "unter prishibeyev"-esque security guards. the pedestrian environment around these places - at least the ones i've seen - definitely suffers, because they try so hard to wall themselves off from the public. oh, i know it goes down well with that segment of society whose dearest wish is to impress everyone else with their inaccessibility, but given the way major retail and offices are moving out to the MKAD, moscow is on track to go from an occasionally pleasant world city to a parody of the worst of american exurbia (in other words, Phoenix, but colder).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:01 AM
maverick

Your observation of petty car owners refusing metro only to spend hours in traffic jams is correct, I have myself met a guy who bragged that he had not been in metro in 10 years. I have no sympathy for them. Let them suffer and lose time, if they can afford it. Metro system itself is no danger to becoming empty. The good news is that improvements are coming on all fronts - road infrustructure, metro construction, off-street parking structures, new office space outside Garden ring, high speed light rail and expansion of monorail, etc.

As for Moscow becoming pedestrian unfriendly, I do not think it will get much worse than it is now. Due to high population density majority of the people will never drive and will have to use public transit. Thus the city will always have heavy pedestrian traffic. Hopefully they will forbid the practice of parking and driving on sidewalks and what used to be green areas in backyards. Drivers will learn to respect pedestrians. I understand it will not happen overnight.

Regarding Dubai, I honestly do not think that Moscow cares too much about what happens there. They can build in that desert whatever they want, to a Muscovite it is more a curiousity rather than a challenge.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 4:34 AM

yeah, you're right about the metro - it's certainly not losing passengers. the few people i know who admit to taking the metro insist that it's more crowded than ever, but it didn't seem any worse than in the 90's; in fact, maybe even a bit better.

and i certainly hope that the pedestrian environment improves (haha: it's so bad currently that it can only get better, right?), i just don't see much reason for it to get better. in fact, there was an article recently in the exile (go ahead and roll your eyes; i don't read it regularly) in which, apparently, some minister of road safety ran a red light - going the wrong way! - on ulitsa solyanka a couple weeks back and of course hit some woman who was crossing legally. supposedly, at a press conference the next day, the minister's press secretary pooh-poohed the whole incident and blamed the pedestrian (who was seriously injured) for the accident. with attitudes like that, i'm not optimistic.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:51 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
yeah, you're right about the metro - it's certainly not losing passengers. the few people i know who admit to taking the metro insist that it's more crowded than ever, but it didn't seem any worse than in the 90's; in fact, maybe even a bit better.
As far as I can tell, rush hour is not as intense as it was in late 80s, but during the middle of the day the human traffic does not decrease as much as it used to, so on average - maybe about the same, but more evenly spread during the day.

Quote:
and i certainly hope that the pedestrian environment improves (haha: it's so bad currently that it can only get better, right?), i just don't see much reason for it to get better. in fact, there was an article recently in the exile (go ahead and roll your eyes; i don't read it regularly) in which, apparently, some minister of road safety ran a red light - going the wrong way! - on ulitsa solyanka a couple weeks back and of course hit some woman who was crossing legally. supposedly, at a press conference the next day, the minister's press secretary pooh-poohed the whole incident and blamed the pedestrian (who was seriously injured) for the accident. with attitudes like that, i'm not optimistic.
I do not know if this story is true but can easily beleive it. Still, I hope there will be gradual improvement. Moscow had very few cars in Soviet times, then was rapidly saturated with cars but infrastructure lagged behind. Of course it would help if people respected each other more, it does not cost any money...

Last edited by anm; Feb 22, 2008 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 5:29 AM
maverick

Status of some projects by Evrasia 99911 from SCC
Feb 22 2008

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 6:43 AM
maverick

Profico l 112 m l 28 fl l

Bolik April 4 2006

LYNX June 25 2006

March 28 2007©gershgorin

coth May 7 2007

LYNX May 26 2007

PANALEKS Sept 18 2007

GrandFarmer Feb 21 2008

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 2:05 AM
maverick

Gradex, Feb 23 2008 by Abwer

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:08 AM
maverick

PFC CSKA Moscow stadium l 30,000 seats l 45 fl l

Feb 23 2008 by manualrus

Feb 25 2008 by meouth

Last edited by anm; Mar 7, 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 7:13 AM
maverick

March 6 2008 by sergeipiano

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 6:07 PM
maverick

Metropolia tallest tower 364 m, see above

better renders as promised

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:47 PM
maverick

Alexander the Great l 148 m 37 fl l 115 m 27 fl l 23 fl l

2 page pdf file

http://www.michaniki.com/newsite/pdf...ERTHEGREAT.pdf

http://www.michaniki.com

the location is near Leningradskoe Shosse (continuation of Tverskaja leading to Sheremet'evo) and the ring freeway encircling Moscow

“Alexander the Great” is a Class – A modern Office – Hotel and Apartment complex that will be developed right next to the intersection of Moscow Ring Road (MKAD), Leningradskoe Highway and Molodezhnaya Street.
Further to the core uses, “Alexander the Great” has been designed in order to fulfill the majority of all the supplementary needs of the inhabitants and the working population. It will include service premises such as commercial shops, restaurants, fitness clubs and conference halls among others. Parking space, one of the most emerging problems of all the business centers in the city of Moscow nowadays will be available both for the end users and for the visitors of the complex. For the working people that are not going to make use of private transportation, a shuttle service will be developed in order to connect “Alexander the Great” with the closest metro and public transportation station that will operate during the peak hours.
The area of the site is approximately 2 hectares. The site has more than convenient transportation access from the Moscow Ring Road, Kurkinskoe Highway, Leningradskoe Highway, Panfilova Street and Molodezhnaya Street, which make it one of the most convenient locations both from the inner Moscow City side and the from outer outskirts of Moscow side. The last but not least access characteristic of “Alexander the Great” is that the distance from Moscow’s main international airport, Sheremetyevo is not greater than fifteen minutes.
According to the architectural concept, there is the provision of the development of three separate high-rise buildings: a 4-star hotel with rooms and apartments, and two office buildings. Each of the buildings has a 4-level underground parking and a developed 2-floor stylobate part including office entrance halls, lunch halls, conference halls, fitness clubs and shops. Furthermore, every building in the complex is served by a ring road and has access to an open parking space. The office buildings have flexible planning and are delivered for the accommodation of companies on a rent or sale basis.
Each of the buildings will be equipped with high-speed lifts, evacuation fire-prevention ladders, and helicopter platforms on the exploitable flat roof.
For the surrounding areas, there is the provision of constructing roads, passages, asphalted parking lots and tiled sidewalks are provided. Lawns, trees and shrubs are to be planted in the Complex, including the exploitable flat roof.
High-quality modern materials will be used for the construction of the facades and for the internal furnishing of the buildings of the Complex.
Night and holiday illumination of the project will provide a decorative highlight for the whole Complex and will be done by means of modern light-emitting diode systems that provide static and dynamic light image and color sensing of the Complex.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:27 AM
maverick

Imperial House l 16 fl l

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:53 AM

is that TsDKh lurking in the background of the first photo?

a couple days ago the moscow times had an article about apparent plans to replace it (TsDKh). from what i remember, a company we've heard of but whose name escapes me at the moment (owned by yelena baturina - mayor luzhkov's wife) came up with "conceptual" renderings for a project on the current site of TsDKh (16-story luxury apts or something - actually, that looks like what you've posted here), and of course the union of artists or whoever owns it had no idea there were any such plans under foot. given that baturina's involved i expect it's a project that will eventually happen.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:23 PM
maverick

The company, owned by Elena Baturina (Luzhkov's wife) is Inteko.

The proposal is by Norman Foster & Co is called "Orange"

some Russian links expressing diffrent views

http://realty.rbc.ru/regions/news.sh...942&region=msk
http://www.rbcdaily.ru/2008/03/13/market/329067
http://beauty-n-beast.livejournal.co...tml?style=mine
http://www.arendator.ru/articles/1/art/20425/
http://agency.archi.ru/news_current.html?nid=5521
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/20080320215744.shtml
http://www.arendator.ru/articles/1/art/20570/

At this point it is not much more than a proposal. The idea of demolition and complete reconstruction of the TsDKh has been up in the air for 15 years or so. The building is structurally sound and does not require major repairs. However, the superb art content calls for more inspiring houusing than this 60-s gray box. The problem is how to do it that everybody is happy - the Tret'jakov Gallery, Moscow Artist's Union, all schedueled exhibitions, etc.

My opinion about this project - I like the render but think that it does not fit in this particular location - too close to Kremlin. I'd prefer that they build it somewhere else outside Garden Ring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe