HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:13 PM

If you could anywhere in the world, and money was not an issue, where would you live?

I guess Switzerland, New Zealand (although there are quakes), maybe the Italian lakes (Como etc.) would be on my list. As far as cities go, I'd have places in NYC, SF, LA, Boston, maybe Chicago, Vancouver, Melbourne or Sydney, Wellington or Auckland, and probably Barcelona and London. If I wanted to get away from the madding crowds, maybe Perth/Freemantle (most isolated big city in the world).

Also, if you choose to mention a few, what are the nicest and most affordable cities in the world where you can live well, fairly crime free and on a budget?

Correction--obviously the title should start "If you could LIVE anywhere...."

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

If I could anywhere in the world, Id move to some smaller city in England, like Bath or some such place and also own an apartment in like Jersey City.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

chicago.

it's where all of my people are at.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Money being no issue opens up the United States (healthcare), so:

1. Dublin, Boston
2. Montreal, New York City, London, Berlin
3. Lisbon, Sarajevo, Barcelona
4. Amsterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn, San Francisco

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:18 PM

Barcelona. Away from the tourist areas it is wonderful!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:28 PM

Im all about California. I absolutely love this state and Los Angeles, even with all of our faults. I also love Japanese culture so....

I would buy a penthouse condo in downtown LA, an isolated cabin high up in the Sierras, a beachfront house in Manhattan Beach and a loft in Tokyo

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:32 PM

For the moment I’d probably live in the same neighborhood as I do now, but obviously in a much larger place. And I’d have at least two other houses. One on the beach, one in the mountains for skiing, and possibly both in France.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:00 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Manhattan, with a summer place up in the Adirondacks. Probably still have a place here...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:19 PM

Anywhere in the world?

Tokyo. I love the urbanity, transportation, and most importantly the people. However, I am an ignorant American, so learning a new language isn't something I am going to do. So realistically...

London. Pleasant. That's the best way I can describe the place.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:19 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

I would have 10 houses

Cabin in the Cotswolds - nice for walking trips

House on Lagio maggiore north of Milan - beautiful and convenient to southern Italy, skiing etc

Cabin with sauna on a lake in Finland - I need freshwater and sauna sometimes

West village condo - for New York visits — alternatively big Chicago rowhouse or oak park mansion

House somewhere in a small tourist town in the southwest (Sedona, Moab etc), for biking and getting away from it all (also no light pollution)

Garden district mansion in New Orleans - for the food

House near menton, France - I love the Maritime Alps - alternatively somewhere near the Pyrenees

The Mayan frank Lloyd Wright house in la (main residence)

Captiva island summer house - home for boat for trips around Caribbean, beautiful gulf sunsets

Apartment in Vienna - the center of western civilization

Last edited by dc_denizen; Sep 18, 2019 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:30 AM

Five places for me:

A nice penthouse in the heart of Osaka
Beachfront property in Maui.
A big open ranch of nothing more than sagebrush in the Thompson Valley west of Kamloops.
A small winery in Kelowna.
A small house in Victoria with some nice Arbutus trees and Gary Oaks on the property.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:14 AM

I would continue to live in Chicago, but would buy a dirt cheap giant lot in Little Village and build a decent sized home (mansion for the city, average sized for the burbs).

I would keep river house in Wisconsin, but would buy the farm across the street and let that revert to forest and wetland. Would build a little tower or bunk house tucked away in there.

Then I would buy a couple of homes in ski towns. Probably one in Vail or Jackson Hole (probably Jackson since WY is a zero income tax state, would make that my permanent residence) and one in Baraloche in Argentina. That way I can ski year round.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I would continue to live in Chicago, but would buy a dirt cheap giant lot in Little Village and build a decent sized home (mansion for the city, average sized for the burbs).

I would keep river house in Wisconsin, but would buy the farm across the street and let that revert to forest and wetland. Would build a little tower or bunk house tucked away in there.

Then I would buy a couple of homes in ski towns. Probably one in Vail or Jackson Hole (probably Jackson since WY is a zero income tax state, would make that my permanent residence) and one in Baraloche in Argentina. That way I can ski year round.
Yeah, I forgot to mention the lake district in south Argentina (Patagonia) & Chile up aginst the Andes. I'd have a place down there too. Hike in the Torres del Paine & fish for giant trout.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:33 AM

i like out my door leisure, so.......

id have a condo in edgewater (chicago) near the north trailhead of the lake front trail to go cycling.

ski in ski out condo in breckenridge or other western resort town.

bonaire condo to go scuba diving.

house in coos bay to ride quads and dune buggies at the oregon dunes.

an ocean front condo in miami beach to go girl watching because im a creeper!

new orleans rowhouse so i can walk around in the middle of the night and just look at stuff. packing heat and with my large friendly malinois....

bend, oregon house out in the middle of the sagebrush to ride horses and walk around naked on my large acreage....

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:49 AM

I would live in LA or San Diego.

Now, back to reality.

Last edited by SFBruin; Sep 18, 2019 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
I would live in LA or San Diego.
But then why not live there now? They’re not more expensive than where you actually live.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 11:57 AM

I would likely live in France and Italy. Paris for sure, a lot of great places between the two.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
If you were superrich, you would build a mansion in Little Village? Why?

You could probably do that right now, BTW, assuming you're middle class. But it would be pretty odd. All your working class neighbors would be striving to move up to Cicero or Berwyn, not exactly glamorous locales.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:49 PM

I would probably continue to spend time in the places where I currently spend the most time: NYC and Detroit. I would buy a house in Brooklyn, and buy a condo in Detroit so that I don't have to stay in hotels when I visit my family. I have also had my eye on a particular summer house in Greece for a while that I would buy. And probably something in the Caribbean or South America for a winter getaway.

I have thought about relocating to California permanently because I hate winter more than I hate living somewhere where I need a car... And Southern California seems like a good compromise. But if money were no object I'd be much less likely to do that, because I could just go somewhere warm when I got tired of cold weather.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:57 PM
BANNED

New York City (West Village, TriBeCa, SoHo or East Village)

Los Angeles (Los Feliz, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Venice or possibly Pacific Palisades)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions