Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 6:36 PM

September 7, 2019 from the Signature Room

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcatoah View Post
I don't know why we are arguing about how much progress has been made when we can literally just look at old posts to see where the building was a month ago. Suffice to say, not much progress has been done, but there is still more glass enclosure now than there was a month ago.
Who's arguing? Simple opinion. Has it been slow or not? In your opinion. FWIW, like five highrises have been put up and occupied in NY since Vista started. Geez, it's not a bad thing to state a fact. it's been slow. No big deal. Just a fact.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 8:09 PM

September 7, 2019 from the Wendella Lake & River Architecture Tour

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:02 PM

Those are all very complementary shots. Well done!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Those are all very complementary shots. Well done!
Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by teohwp85 View Post

Skillful shot. Three sweet supertalls.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:28 PM

Those shots make me think they should use stainless steel on the grill over the blow through.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Those shots make me think they should use stainless steel on the grill over the blow through.
Agreed... but either way, she's drop dead gorgeous!!!

The more glass the prettier the unfinished product has looked. Like Harry said earlier though, I'll miss the skeletal look we got during the Winter

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teohwp85 View Post

This looks… bad

What even is the rationale for the louvre placement on half of two frustum near the top?

It’s also another bad attempt at hiding unsightly details on the ‘back’ of a building, but the ‘back’ might be just as visible as the front.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
This looks… bad

What even is the rationale for the louvre placement on half of two frustum near the top?

It’s also another bad attempt at hiding unsightly details on the ‘back’ of a building, but the ‘back’ might be just as visible as the front.
A question for the engineers, no doubt.

Too bad you don't like it, hopefully you don't live in Chicago because we are keeping it

Keep in mind our river boat tour from shoreline was the most popular tour in the world on tripadvisor in 2017. chicagoans love that river.. this building absolutely has a front and a back. i don't care what people have to stare at while they wait in traffic on LSD, or what the affluent residents of LSE have to gaze upon. however i am kind of upset that the planetarium view will include the black strips of mechanics

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:22 AM

Quote:
This looks… bad

It looks like the louvers near the top are centered and you just can't see it yet because theres still plywood for the lift where the glass on the East side will be.

Also I sincerely doubt this is an attempt to "hide unsightly details on the back" and has a lot more to do with keeping as much saleable space facing the river as possible...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Andrew Lutha

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:30 PM

^That's the money shot! Nice work

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:43 PM
Ω

The mechanical louvers look like afterthoughts. They really didn't anticipate them to be so dark?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:27 PM

^ Was expecting them to be light blue or something, grey, just not pitch black. What if the entire screen for the blow through floor is black

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:28 PM
Ω

^ Yeah hopefully they go with a light brushed aluminum or something for the blow thru.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The mechanical louvers look like afterthoughts. They really didn't anticipate them to be so dark?
You don't think they expected it? It looks like black anodized aluminum... How could you expect that not to be black?

No, they chose what they chose. I personally like the black louvers, I just think silver would complete the rainbow of the top frustrum set.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
A question for the engineers, no doubt.

Too bad you don't like it, hopefully you don't live in Chicago because we are keeping it

Keep in mind our river boat tour from shoreline was the most popular tour in the world on tripadvisor in 2017. chicagoans love that river.. this building absolutely has a front and a back. i don't care what people have to stare at while they wait in traffic on LSD, or what the affluent residents of LSE have to gaze upon. however i am kind of upset that the planetarium view will include the black strips of mechanics
It isn't a question for the engineers. It is a design problem. If there was an oversight or if new requirements come from engineering, design should work to find a solution with some coherence.

At its absolute simplest, the black color works against the way the color gradation of the curtain wall is used to reinforce the frustum shape. Light colors on the peaks with dark in the valleys is a clever way to create more contrast. Throwing a full black stripe across both peaks and valleys flattens out the form. Stretching that across the the whole floor also flattens the transition points laterally. It is a hard problem they took on trying keep the geometry readable on a building of such scale. The glass color and the slight N/S offset of each stack is all in service of that objective. The louvres aren’t.

I don't even know what you are trying to get at with your riverboat rambling. The point is that a more considered design doesn't need such a visual cop out. Look at how trump tower handles it, the transitions between segments actually contribute positively to the design. That looks intentful, this looks like a bandaid.

Last edited by jc5680; Sep 10, 2019 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
It isn't a question for the engineers. It is a design problem. If there was an oversight or if new requirements come from engineering, design should work to find a solution with some coherence.

At its absolute simplest, the black color works against the way the color gradation of the curtain wall is used to reinforce the frustum shape. Light colors on the peaks with dark in the valleys is a clever way to create more contrast. Throwing a full black stripe across both peaks and valleys flattens out the form. Stretching that across the the whole floor also flattens the transition points laterally. It is a hard problem they took on trying keep the geometry readable on a building of such scale. The glass color and the slight N/S offset of each stack is all in service of that objective. The louvres don't.

I don't even know what you are trying to get at with your riverboat rambling. The point is that a more considered design doesn't need such a visual cop out. Look at how trump tower handles it, the transitions between segments actually contribute positively to the design. That looks intentful, this looks like a bandaid.
Hahah my riverboat rambling.. take everything I post here with a grain of salt

It's so true I don't know why the designers couldn't have put more thought into this. Simply expected better.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think this tower is a beauty, but one that shines from certain angle, as depicted in #6331 via Skyguy_7's quote of teohwp85 pic.

At certain angles, this tower really shines and complements the proxy towers near Aon.

From a far, you'd think it was a complex of 3 towers.

IMO, this looks better from its sides versus looking directly at it where it looks like a staircase, but one which requires a very large step for the 1st step (if you can see where I'm coming from. See post #6334. This angle, is eh... but the one in post #6331 really shines.

I think its unique in how it reflects light too. Lighting conditions really bring this tower to life. One of those cases, again, IMO, as an outsider, where the time of day, how sun light is reflected will dictate the awe factor of this tower.

I do feel the location is not prime for it, from an aesthetics standpoint. In an alternative world, I would of loved to see this on East Roosevelt Road, at the end of Grant Park if I'm getting the location right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture