HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 7:01 AM
I like this much better

Dig the concept. I wanna do this when I get a camera.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:28 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Oh man, you didnt get a picture of that hot black chick from the Thai place we went to, she was bangin.
No, I did. I just didnt post it yet. I put it up just for you. well and aaron too. He seemed rather infatuated with her.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:48 PM
Ex Houstonian

Haha can't wait

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:43 AM
3rd Coast King

Just for you chris.....

DSC04254 hostess with the canon by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:47 AM
3rd Coast King

Joncao - 5/100: 100 Strangers by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This is Joncao.

I had gotten out of my evening class early and decided to take a few skyline shots from the campus parking garage because there were nice fluffy clouds in the sky and good light still left in the day.

I had contemplated going on another stroll down Main Street after my success finding strangers 3 and 4. But I did have things to go do and it was sooooooo Hot. And when I say hot i mean HOT!!!!! Anyone that has been to Texas in summer time will know exactly what I mean. So I decided to head out.

As I'm driving down Main street to get to Commerce I noticed a guy and a girl walking down the bridge on the other side. Instantly I was drawn to Joncao and his incredibly bright orange.

So at this point I'm asking myself, "Do I make the right or head straight and go make this happen?

Of course...............

I go make this happen!!!

So I head straight and park in the first spot I see open. I then grab my gear and jaywalk across the street to catch up to these two.

I ask Joncao right of the bat if I can take his picture. I told him I'm doing a project where I take pictures of strangers and that I thought that his BRIGHT orange hair was just too interesting to pass up. He kinda laughed a bit and agreed to participate. They were kind of surprised to find out that I had actually pulled over to ask for a picture but they were cool.

I got two shots of Jon and one of him and his friend Lauren together as a thank you. All were really cool and I give these two mad kudos for best poses yet.

I took all pictures with my Sony Alpha 200 and minolta 50mm f1.7 at +1 exposure and ISO 100. Only minor editing was done with my sony raw converter software because the shots were almost perfect right out of the box.

This picture is #5 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

Joncao - First Take by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Lauren and Joncao by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Last edited by diskojoe; Jun 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 5:20 PM
tilted & shifted

You're knocking this out of the park and making it look really easy. Not only are you taking pictures of total strangers but you're getting autobiographic details about them as well.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 7:13 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
You're knocking this out of the park and making it look really easy. Not only are you taking pictures of total strangers but you're getting autobiographic details about them as well.
Honestly, it has been easy. I haven't been turned down by anyone that I have approached so far, so i'm batting 1.000 for the moment. Apparently lots of people get rejected often. I attribute most of that to them approaching the wrong type of people.

As far as the back stories go they are part of the project also, or at least supposed to be. There is supposed to be a photojournalism aspect to it. Not everyone goes into quite as much depth as I do but I enjoy the 1000 words for the picture. I want to share the encounter. Some people just write hey this is john i saw him at starbucks he's stranger xx/100.

Me, I want people to be able to image what it was like stumbling around with me.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 9:05 PM

Cool idea and I like the little story.I see that you are targeting
a certain age group.Do you plan to get in older people,homeless,
,cops,streetcleaners and so on??....

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 3:38 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
Cool idea and I like the little story.I see that you are targeting
a certain age group.Do you plan to get in older people,homeless,
,cops,streetcleaners and so on??....
Mostly I choose people who I get a good vibe from and I find interesting. Havent really thought about it demographically. i do have a few self rules: No one from my work, no one from my school or at least not on campus (thats too easy), and I would prefer not to use homeless folk but given an interesting encounter I might reconsider that one. Also no cops. HPD is not down with getting their picture taken at all.

Right now I'm only at 5/100 so there is really no telling where this project may take me.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:43 PM
3rd Coast King

One more rule I just remembered that I personally follow for the project. If I meet a group of people I will only use one of their photos. I see lots of people that will approach a group and take pictures of multiple people they meet in the group and use them as individual strangers for the project. I have chosen not to do this. I consider it to be too easy and once I meet one of them i dont consider the others to be the random type of strangers im looking for because then they have some sort of relation.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 11:37 PM

Nice work! I joined that Flickr group long ago but have never had the nerve to ask to take someone's picture. Though I do enjoy seeing how other people approach the project. You're doing great so far.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsConanOBrien View Post
Nice work! I joined that Flickr group long ago but have never had the nerve to ask to take someone's picture. Though I do enjoy seeing how other people approach the project. You're doing great so far.
I like your rules, Joe. Keeps intregity in the project.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:54 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsConanOBrien View Post
Once you get going it gets easier. Just approach people you think are interesting. A big part of the project is over coming that fear. Soon you will realize that its not that scary or weird and cool people dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
I like your rules, Joe. Keeps intregity in the project.
Thanks. Can do

My Book

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 1:08 PM
3rd Coast King

Sarah - 6/100: 100 Strangers by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This is Sarah.

I was leaving the UHD campus after having a serious failure of a meeting with some group members I'm working with for a class project.

Boring!!!!!

So I'm packing the Sony a200 and my trusty Minolta 50mm f1.7 and was going to walk over to EaDo to see if I could meet someone cool for the project. I have met lots of cool people from over in that area because its loaded with nice renovated warehouse condos and cool art studios and such. Real classy part of Houston.

But before I even get to the car I see these too cool looking kids rollin' past on some long boards right by where I parked. Im thinking to myself at this point that this project is just TOO easy sometimes.

So I try to flag David down first but he was going pretty fast and just kept rolling without really noticing what I was doing. But luckily Sarah caught my drift and rolled up to see what I was up to.

I tell them about the project and asked if I could take some pictures for the project. They said that was cool. And I have a rule for my interpretation of the project where if I meet a few people together i would only use one of them for the project. But these two both seemed pretty interesting and both had awesome skateboards. So I told them I'd flip a coin to choose and they had to call the flip. Sarah didn't want to choose so david called tails for Sarah.

It landed on tales.

So sarah told me her and David were boyfriend/girlfriend living together over in some lofts in EaDo.( I told you cool people lived over there.) Sarah is a graphic designer rocking photoshop CS5 who just graduated from the Art Institute of Houston. She is seeking work in the field currently. I wish her the best of luck and am glad they were willing to participate in the project.

This picture is #06 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

sarah and her santa cruz by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

sarah and david by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

sarah and david cross processed by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:52 PM
3rd Coast King

Shane Davidson - 7/100: 100 Strangers by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

This is Shane Davidson.

After class I went to walk around EaDo to see if maybe I would get lucky and spot someone cool for the project while I was downtown. But no luck this day.

But I did do a good deed while I was down there.

I saw a duck from the bayou that was trying to get something out of a plastic bag on the ground next to a trashcan. So I went and grabbed the bag and saw there was a pack of crackers in it. So i bust it open for the duck who was ready to attack me cause it thinks I stole its bag. But a shower of peanut butter cracker falling down changed the ducks mood.

So I just headed out to Spring Branch.

I pull up to the store and I spot this guy about to walk off. So I hop out of the car and asked him real if he'd like to participate in the project.

Of course - He agreed.

I break out the Sony a200 and change the lens to the 5omm Minolta and fire off a couple shots.

Shane told me he had come from his girlfriends house and was waiting for his mom to come pick him up. So he is the youngest participant so far. But we had a common bond. We're both seniors. Him in high school and me in college. He said he was real into skating too which I could tell cause his board was pretty grinded up like stranger 6. He also told me he was a life guard at pool for a church. I was hoping it was the one down the street from my house so he could get me in for free.

I also made sure to give him my contact info and he told me he would check out the photos.

This picture is #07 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

shane cross processed by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

shane regular by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

Man, that Asian dude with the orange hair is pretty crazy awesome looking.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 6:23 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Man, that Asian dude with the orange hair is pretty crazy awesome looking.
Dude, why do you think I had to make a detour and run across a street to go catch him. He just seemed perfect for my set I have going here.

My Book

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:04 AM

Another good one, D-Joe.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 9:41 PM
3rd Coast King

Got featured in the Houston Press Blog again too.....

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...he_week_in.php

My Book

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 10:00 PM

looks like your taking some heat from the anti-hipster crowd,give the public what they want....... chicks with big boobs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography