HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:13 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice photos, Sawtooth!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 3:46 PM

Anyone else torn on this? I'm excited about a new mix-use building that far down 8th but I do like the existing building a lot as well. We don't have a lot warehouses left anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
New senior housing/retail/parking/office proposal near the library (image from Boisedev):

not much of a design, really. pretty uncreative. wish they went thinner and taller so it wasn't just a wall of windows, but it does add good density and housing and more retail options to that area which will be nice.

story on: Boisedev

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:48 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Anyone else torn on this? I'm excited about a new mix-use building that far down 8th but I do like the existing building a lot as well. We don't have a lot warehouses left anymore.
I certainly wouldn't like it in the downtown core, but I'm okay with it being on the outer fringes of downtown.

What would have been nice is if the Afton were closer to this height.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
I have wondered if the developers could save the warehouse and build on top of it, but I also like the height of this building as well as the location on S 8th.

I really want to see something built on that lot on Capitol between White Dog Brewing and the gas station.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:23 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here's my 2 cents (which is probably worth far less):

- i'm okay with this project replacing a warehouse. however, i love when developments pay homage to the structures that previously resided on the property. if there are unique design aspects to that warhouse, i'd love to see them incorporated into the design of the new structure...even if it's just designing the garage portion by using the same type of brickwork from the warehouse.

- selfishly, i love this project because i'm rapidly getting to the point where i'll soon be looking into senior housing, and right now, i'd prefer to be downtown. i don't want to live in one of the sprawling facilities on the edge of town; i'd prefer to be within walking distance of the kind amenities you get downtown. this appears to be the first true high-density projects focused on seniors in the city center and hopefully there will be more to come.

- as mentioned, i'm not thrilled with the design of this right now. it's better than the awful grove and hampton buildings, but it could be better. and though i know this is likely preliminary, it's bulky. i'd prefer to see this potentially broken into two taller, more slender towers with a nice open area between, similar to the Big Sky project from Billings:

i realize the open space in this rendering is a street, but it could be a plaza or just a lower building connecting the two towers. i believe there would be enough space on this property to accommodate this type of design.

again, just FWIW.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:58 PM

random pics 9/27

Smoke free! Biking around town sunday-- from the end of Crestline (road not the trail)

5th & Broad Apts from 6th & Broad looking NE

Vanguard

Home 2 Suites sidewalk view

The Cartee

Afton with both phases complete

Not sure I can express my happiness in the 8th St Bridge getting resurfaced!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:11 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice shots! thanks for keeping us non-downtowners in the loop.

Boisedev has a new story (and image) about the ICCU tower getting a redesign and reconfiguration to address neighbor concerns. I like the thinner tower better, and am glad they're still committed to the height:

story

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:32 PM

Boise and Downtown have a lot to offer...

...but architecture is not part of that. Frankly the only semi-unique buildings in my opinion are the Simplot HQs and the Wells Fargo building (even though dated). The condos on Front could have been decent but the side of the building facing the Bench is awful. I suppose being a Boomtown gives you fast and cheap projects. Hopefully, as Boise grows the architecture will too.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
nice shots! thanks for keeping us non-downtowners in the loop.

Boisedev has a new story (and image) about the ICCU tower getting a redesign and reconfiguration to address neighbor concerns. I like the thinner tower better, and am glad they're still committed to the height:

story
I agree regarding the thinner tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post

...but architecture is not part of that. Frankly the only semi-unique buildings in my opinion are the Simplot HQs and the Wells Fargo building (even though dated). The condos on Front could have been decent but the side of the building facing the Bench is awful. I suppose being a Boomtown gives you fast and cheap projects. Hopefully, as Boise grows the architecture will too.
The south side of The Aspen on Front is the way it is because there are plans in the future to build upon that parking garage immediately behind The Aspen. I heard this from someone who works for the city.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:14 PM

Thanks for the pics trails.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:59 PM
All man. Half nuts.

that's interesting about the Aspen. I didn't realize there were plans to build on top of the garage.

hopefully that happens soon, because as nice as the north size of the aspen is, the south looks like the building is cheap or incomplete.

regarding the thinner ICCU tower, I liked this quote from the Boisedev article:

Quote:
“We respectfully disagree with people who say it’s too high and in the wrong place,” he said. “You have a choice. You can either have tall buildings or short-wide-squatty-massive buildings. We think this is an appropriate tradeoff.”

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:23 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Sep 29, 2020 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post

I agree. There are some buildings (I'm looking at you Grove Hotel) that I just can't understand the city saying, "Yeah we want that in our skyline!". The Aspen is so weird how it goes from fantastic to horrible as you go around it. It's too bad the bad side is on the side that the Boise skyline is most photographed from.

As far as the Wells Fargo building, I actually really like that building, I think it is just too short. I understand the economics factored into the design for Boise back in the 80s, but man, I think that would have made a great signature tower to Boise. It will slowly get buried by buildings taller than it as Boise grows (obvious speculation but I could see it happening).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 5:17 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

by
Sean
, on Flickr

by
Sean
, on Flickr

by
Sean
, on Flickr

by
Sean
, on Flickr
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:49 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Old Boise
by Sean, on Flickr

Bannock and 5th
by Sean, on Flickr

5th and Bannock
by Sean, on Flickr

Main Street
by Sean, on Flickr

Main Street
by Sean, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 2:28 PM

Thanks for the photos as always. There are a lot of cranes downtown, so please keep us updated

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:40 PM

Took a drive over to see the progress on Whitewater Station on 27th and W. Stewart. I didn't realize they were so far along!

Not much happening yet with Chausse Swan across the street:

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Smoke free! Biking around town sunday-- from the end of Crestline (road not the trail)

Not sure I can express my happiness in the 8th St Bridge getting resurfaced!
They really should have done something nicer with the resurfacing. Maybe put those fake wooden slats like they use on boardwalks at beaches. Not a fan of this.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:53 PM
All man. Half nuts.

I'm not a huge fan of the wooden-esque plats, either, but I agree that it's a tad bland.

they could've done something cool like a glass walkway similar to the Grand Canyon skywalk. that way you could see the floaters below you, and wave to them as you crash into the railing.

okay, maybe that wouldn't been a great idea....

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the wooden-esque plats, either, but I agree that it's a tad bland.

they could've done something cool like a glass walkway similar to the Grand Canyon skywalk. that way you could see the floaters below you, and wave to them as you crash into the railing.

okay, maybe that wouldn't been a great idea....

Something...anything.
They took away the character of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West