HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Dallas, while south, is a very serious hockey market.
bUt ItS nOnTrAdItIoNaL

If an NHL team has been there for 25 years and the area develops NHL-calibre players will Canadians ever come around on this perception? Probably not.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
That they have.

I was told that they are looking at various scenarios including:

0%
66-75
The more fans there are less appealing I would imagine that attending games has to be for many people.

15% capacity? Count me in. 33% not so much. I would not attend at all if capacity were over 50%.

I am locked into in a multi-year term for my Jets half-season tickets but I would think there would have to be some flexibility as there are going to be wildly different comfort levels with all of this.

Also, I'm surprised the Oilers are charging people with payments due in October when no one knows what the hell the next season is even going to look like...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
bUt ItS nOnTrAdItIoNaL

If an NHL team has been there for 25 years and the area develops NHL-calibre players will Canadians ever come around on this perception? Probably not.
Seeing that 30 years ago hockey was practically nonexistent in Dallas, yeah, I'd say it's a non-traditional market. That is not the same as saying it hasn't taken root. Why do we have to pretend hockey was something there in the past that it clearly wasn't?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:08 PM
Community Guy

It was Sept 2 (normal) until a few weeks ago and then got pushed back. I suspect it might again.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:10 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
bUt ItS nOnTrAdItIoNaL

Sure, but I would not put it in the same grouping as Florida or Cali teams.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Seeing that 30 years ago hockey was practically nonexistent in Dallas, yeah, I'd say it's a non-traditional market.
Organized hockey was first played in Dallas in the 1920s.

Since then they've had various minor pro teams starting in the 60s and have had local associations going back to at least the 70s. This same argument comes up whenever Houston is mentioned as a potential market by people who forget that Houston had a WHA team in the 70s.

What's your definition of non-traditional? Does it have to snow somewhere for hockey to be perceived as traditional? I can't think of another pro sport that has this much of a perception issue. 'Yeah but it's a non-traditional basketball market' simply isn't said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrsx
Sure, but I would not put it in the same grouping as Florida or Cali teams.
Which is weird given that Cali has had NHL teams since the 60s, including receiving two teams in the '67 expansion.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:29 PM

^ I get that this is really an issue for you. But the fact that there were organized teams going back to the 1920s doesn't make Dallas a traditional hockey market. I mean, Winnipeg has had cricket teams since the 19th century, but do you really think of Winnipeg as some kind of cricket hotbed too.

Having been to Texas, I have seen how hockey barely exists in the collective consciousness even in cities with pro teams. It is a far cry from what you see even in "traditional" US markets where far more people grew up watching or playing the game, never mind Canada.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:45 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Looking ahead: They are still targeting a 2020/2021 82 game season...

https://www.tsn.ca/bill-daly-nhl-tar...-air-1.1521820
I still don't know how any type of season can proceed at this point. Until restrictions on international travel are lifted or relaxed it makes playing almost impossible. A bubble is not realistic either.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:46 PM

Yeah, my reference to Dallas not being a traditional hockey market is based on the popularity of hockey in general. The Stars seem to do well attendance wise, etc. and they've had a team for a decent stretch... but overall hockey isn't a big sport in Texas.

And if things go the way I think, it won't matter what we think of Dallas in that regard... it could be Vegas in the finals and my point is even more solidified... Tampa vs. Vegas in the finals... and even though Tampa's been a round for almost 30 years - it's still a non-traditional market.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 3:57 PM
Near Generational

Thank God the Flames didn't go out and hire a proven NHL coach with some solid playoff pedigree.

Really dodged a bullet there!!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:27 AM
Community Guy

The big D came through.

Tampa (likely) - Dallas

Feeling Tampa, but betting Dallas.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:51 PM
arf

Well, I'm picking Tampa, unless the Islanders win and then I'm betting on Barry Trotz.

Of course this means Dallas will win.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:39 PM

Really didn't see Dallas beating Vegas.
Tampa should take their series now.

A Dallas/Tampa finals aren't going to generate good TV ratings, nevermind that the NBA playoffs are still going with some bigger market teams playing and the NFL season is in progress.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^ I get that this is really an issue for you. But the fact that there were organized teams going back to the 1920s doesn't make Dallas a traditional hockey market
What makes a market traditional or nontraditional? People's generalizations? Some hurdle or quota that needs to be met?

Quote:
and even though Tampa's been a round for almost 30 years - it's still a non-traditional market.
Same question. People never really seem to say this about Columbus or DC or St. Louis, despite all of them practically being in the same situation. The southern teams have it way too difficult from gatekeeping hockey fans.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:01 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
The big D came through.

Tampa (likely) - Dallas

Feeling Tampa, but betting Dallas.
If Tampa wins who gets handed the Cup from Bettman? Does Stamkos suit up to get it?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:10 PM

I don't mind Dallas' success. They are Vancouver owned. And the coach is a former Canucks assistant.
And btw the Canuck's coach is from here in Castlegar.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 12:22 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's official.

The best goalie in the world plays for...

Your Winnipeg Jets!

Congratulations to Connor Hellebuyck for winning the Vezina Trophy!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
^ I get that this is really an issue for you. But the fact that there were organized teams going back to the 1920s doesn't make Dallas a traditional hockey market. I mean, Winnipeg has had cricket teams since the 19th century, but do you really think of Winnipeg as some kind of cricket hotbed too.

Having been to Texas, I have seen how hockey barely exists in the collective consciousness even in cities with pro teams. It is a far cry from what you see even in "traditional" US markets where far more people grew up watching or playing the game, never mind Canada.
Bang on the main issue with sun belt/non traditional markets is not when the clubs in those markets are successful but when they are in losing seasons their support levels evaporate to pathetic levels such as the gong show that has been the coyotes for the past 15 years where their crowds are so tiny most of the time and more than half the crowd that does show up is expat or tourist canadians wearing jerseys from the Canadian opponent the coyotes are playing. These sunbelt teams when not doing well are a big financial drain on the league with the other clubs having to prop up teams like the coyotes and panthers because there is no natural built up sustainable fan base that there would be in a Quebec City, Hamilton ect...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 1:26 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

Your Winnipeg Jets!

Well done. I feel Canucks fans are sort of loving our under-the-radar goalies Markstrom and Demko who brought fear to the Vegas team.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:56 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

Your Winnipeg Jets!

Congrats

He is a gem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada