HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 12:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] The Keep | 27 m | 8 fl | Completed

This thread is for an 8-storey building proposed for the corner of Quinpool Road and Vernon Street.

Initiation report: http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0110ca1115.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This project was initiated awhile back. It's for the Cyclesmith building and is 27 meters (8 floors) tall. Initiation Report is available from earlier in this thread.

Public Information Meeting - Case # 17195

Thu, 20 September, 19:00 – 21:00
1020, 6100 University Avenue, Halifax, NS (Dalhousie University - Kenneth C. Rowe Management Building- Room 1020) (map)

Case 17195 Application from Studioworks International Inc., for the lands of 2227770 Nova Scotia Limited, to amend the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law, to permit an eight storey mixed use development at 6112 Quinpool (corners of Vernon and Pepperell streets), by development agreement.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 9:40 PM

The information page has been created;

Case 17195 Details

Considering the taller building immediately north of the site, the setback, and the traffic benefit to Quinpool Road I cannot see why this won't be approved sometime in 2013. The renderings don't show the colour really but assuming a normal approach this should be attractive but not at a stand-out level which is good for a corner like this (busy but not important).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:18 PM
we built this city

I like it... the form is good, so materials will be make or break.

Everything is going to look bombed out in comparison to this... they should really consolidate alot of the houses on Quinpool.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The elevations suggest that the siding will be brick or stone-like material. The renderings are fine for showing the massing but I hope these aren't shown to the neighbourhood; they make it look like the building will have blank walls and an unfriendly exterior.

I think this building will be great for Quinpool Road if it's built. Quinpool has an interesting mix of shops but it doesn't have very good buildings aside from a couple of small stretches. My guess is that St. Pat's is still sitting empty.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 2:45 AM

The bottom of this page has some of the things going on at the old St. Pat's. Not empty, but might as well be.

Offices in the HRSB

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:57 PM

Interesting article about public reaction. These people really don't get it...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:59 PM

Will these people ever shut up and learn things aren't going to be in the same state forever?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:58 PM
we built this city

NIMBY time!

... the traffic concerns imply that everybody owns a car once again. Aren't these often the same folks who want us to bike everywhere? How is it going to mean more traffic?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 3:23 AM

I'm not actually surprised. If there was an area I'd expect there to be a reaction, but it be a 'strong/vocal minority' it would be in this area. The said, the whole of HRM is going to brace for change because it's not just the major corridors where development will happen. I can't agree more that the City isn't going to be the same forever. A city is never finished and god willing grow. If that's the case - we have to find places for everyone.

Oh well - I highly doubt that this isn't going to go forward. It's not a huge thing, but I can't see the new council saying no to it.

That said, if my vision of HRM was ever to occur (which would have included an LRT down Quinpool) - these few people would've lost it if they knew how high I would've set the height limits.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 6:36 PM

The Halifax and West Community Council gave first reading to this application to proceed with a public hearing on May 13. Here is the report. I would add that some of the public comments from the public meeting are quite interesting. The 'usual suspects' came out in force.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The Halifax and West Community Council gave first reading to this application to proceed with a public hearing on May 13. Here is the report. I would add that some of the public comments from the public meeting are quite interesting. The 'usual suspects' came out in force.
My god, you got that right. Phil Pacey, Kommissar Howard Epstein, Dulcie Conrad... all the usual tired old voices that hold Halifax back. To hear the comments of these people it was like an 8-storey set-back structure would be The End Of The World As We Know It. It is ridiculous to think that these people would argue that either the existing mess on that lot should be preserved, or that another 4-storey sawed-off wonder should be there.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
My god, you got that right. Phil Pacey, Kommissar Howard Epstein, Dulcie Conrad... all the usual tired old voices that hold Halifax back. To hear the comments of these people it was like an 8-storey set-back structure would be The End Of The World As We Know It. It is ridiculous to think that these people would argue that either the existing mess on that lot should be preserved, or that another 4-storey sawed-off wonder should be there.
I don't think they'll have much sway though. The same crowd every time. City council will put more stock in what staff have to say.

(Pacey said the area south of Quinpool has a population density of 5,000 per sq. km. That sounds probable to me, but he also said it compared with the densest cities in North America, which is absurd. Our own south end is denser.)

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 6:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
My god, you got that right. Phil Pacey, Kommissar Howard Epstein, Dulcie Conrad... all the usual tired old voices that hold Halifax back.
Here's a classic quote:

"Mr. Pacey asked if there was any point to the various rules that are in place? He stated that he thinks there is and advised that he was involved when the Quinpool Road commercial planning was done 20 years ago."

They already asked Phil and friends what they wanted 20 years ago (back when the economy was terrible and there was practically zero development pressure), so that should settle planning questions in Halifax for all time.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's a classic quote:

"Mr. Pacey asked if there was any point to the various rules that are in place? He stated that he thinks there is and advised that he was involved when the Quinpool Road commercial planning was done 20 years ago."

They already asked Phil and friends what they wanted 20 years ago (back when the economy was terrible and there was practically zero development pressure), so that should settle planning questions in Halifax for all time.
Yeah because a city doesn't change?! It's like the old saying about airports - they are never finished. Same holds true with cities...but they appear they would rather have a city that doesn't change or grow. Let's ask how that's working out for CBRM?

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 12:42 PM

I blame a lot of our dysfunction on our press/media. Has anybody on here ever been approached for a comment? There are many pro development people right here, yet the media keeps giving voice to the same old minority. Obviously media has not bothered to check any other opinions, and it would be so easy to find it.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I blame a lot of our dysfunction on our press/media. Has anybody on here ever been approached for a comment? There are many pro development people right here, yet the media keeps giving voice to the same old minority. Obviously media has not bothered to check any other opinions, and it would be so easy to find it.
Remember, it's only a story if you make it a story...so they only sell papers or get things on air if someone can help them make it an issue.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 3:11 PM

The press is the primary guarantee that neither side of the debate will ever believe we live in a society that's 'good enough'.

However, without them if we lived in a society that wasn't good enough, we'd never know it.

Well, that is, if you've got a properly functioning media; all respect due to David Simon.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 11:31 PM
opinionated so and so

This was moved and passed today at Council for a joint Regional Council/Halifax & West Community council public hearing in June.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 1:40 AM

Joint public hearing by HWCC and RC will be on June 25th

Case 17195 Details

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 2:58 PM
BUILD!

Council apparently approved this one last night - creating lots of anger for the local NIMBYs.

Article link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-building.html

I don't think these people realize that Quinpool Tower is right across the street...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth