HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The architecture is intended to weave the urban fabric into the facade, transforming the building into a structure that is distinctly modern, attractively innovative and authentically Brooklyn.”
I think I'm going to throw up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I think I'm going to throw up.

Too late! The downtown bedrock beat you to it!
They should call this the "Desperation". These newbies are so desperate to dethrone the Williamsburgh as tallest, that they just erected a regurgitated dumpsite and called it a skyscraper(eyesore) in order to accomplish this feat. If they really wanted to dethrone an icon- THE symbol of the entire borough, they should have done it with class, taste and style.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 5:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categor..._id=5&id=28730

Tallest B’klyn Building Yet Has Topping Out

by Linda Collins
06-10-2009

DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN — Calling it “The Brooklyner,” the Clarett Group celebrated its topping out last week for what may well be Brooklyn’s tallest building.

The 51-story, 514-foot tall building at 111 Lawrence St. in Downtown Brooklyn, is two feet higher than the iconic — and previously tallest — Williamsburgh Savings Bank, now One Hanson Place, which is 512 feet tall.

The topping out was not a public event, but rather one for the development teams, architects, financial and construction people, said spokesperson Jimmy Lappas.

According to Veronica Hackett, managing partner at Clarett, occupancy is anticipated for late 2009 or early 2010. Hackett said the new name — The Brooklyner — is “a moniker that embraces Brooklyn’s standing as the city’s hottest residential borough.”

Designed by Gerner Kronick + Valcarcel Architects (GKV), the new rental building is constructed of “cast-in-place concrete consisting of a combination of window wall and metal panels on the eastern and western facades,” said Randy Gerner, GKV principal and lead architect on the development.

“With varying shades of earth tones and patterns reflective of Brooklyn's historic brownstone homes and architectural elements found in the nearby neighborhood, the exterior walls are designed with a basket-weave aesthetic,” he said, adding that the design was influenced by the textures and colors of the nearby neighborhoods. “The architecture is intended to weave the urban fabric into the facade, transforming the building into a structure that is distinctly modern, attractively innovative and authentically Brooklyn.”

Commented Hackett, “As the tallest building in Brooklyn, the tower presents unrivaled views of the East and Hudson rivers, the New York Harbor, and the Brooklyn and Manhattan skylines. The views include almost every iconic image and landmark for which New York City is famous.”

The tower will have 491 rental apartments comprised of loft-style studios, one-bedrooms and two-bedrooms. A 24-hour concierge and “a complete fitness and lifestyle amenities package” are also planned.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:54 PM

Panorama?

I'm still hoping that someone will post a new Brooklyn skyline panoramic pic so that we can get an idea of how the new "Brooklyner" compares to the rest of the older buildings. The Smith & Ninth station would be ideal. I'd do it myself, but I now live on the west coast.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 11:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's an older pic...

Tin-can Telephone

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 12:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 2:18 PM

For as eye-searingly ugly as this building is up close, I don't really think it's going to look like anything of interest from Manhattan. I'll take shots once the cladding gets high enough to see from our office, but right now the building blends in pretty nicely. This is in no way meant to be an endorsement of such a bland high-rise (and that's a nice way of putting it).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 7:32 PM

Meh, I'll take it. The design is mediocre yet tolerable. Adds nice bulk/height to the skyline. An acceptable background building IMO

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 8:14 PM

No cladding from my buddy's office yet. They do appear to be futzing with some additional stuff on the roof that may or may not match the previously seen mechanicals shown in the rendering.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 6:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
For as eye-searingly ugly as this building is up close, I don't really think it's going to look like anything of interest from Manhattan.
I'm more interested in how it fits in with the Brooklyn skyline. As the borough's new tallest, it should have somewhat of an identity, yet I'm not seeing that here.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 9:42 AM
arf

^Bland is an identity. Sheesh, they reclad Verizon and threaten other great examples of 70s and 80 s architecture with cladding redos and then they go and build this. I weep for architecture.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 5:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Bland is an identity.
Not really, considering there's a lot of that. The Williamsburg Bank tower is easily identified. You can put it on a t-shirt and anyone from Brooklyn will know what it is.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 8:44 PM
Vamotabbe Pa

a little off topic, but the other day i saw on www.emporis.com, that 388 bridge street is under contruction (foundation work) Will ''388 bridge'' be Brooklyn's futures tallest? Is there a 388 bridge thread on? And does anyone know what the exact height will be of the (scaled back) "Miss Brooklyn project"?

Back on topic: Why did it took almost eight decades to built a tower ("The Brooklyner") 2 feet taller then the old clock tower?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Skyline View Post
a little off topic, but the other day i saw on www.emporis.com, that 388 bridge street is under contruction (foundation work) Will ''388 bridge'' be Brooklyn's futures tallest? Is there a 388 bridge thread on? And does anyone know what the exact height will be of the (scaled back) "Miss Brooklyn project"?

Back on topic: Why did it took almost eight decades to built a tower ("The Brooklyner") 2 feet taller then the old clock tower?
Well, the first one, as I understand it, isn't really under construction. They keep having permit issues...

As for the second, it's taken 80 years because the people of Brooklyn have actively not wanted a tower that tall. I think some other things, such as the '70s threw a monkey wrench in there as well. I mean, this thing got built only because it made it under the radar. They cut Miss Brooklyn just to be shorter, which is strange, because it's a mere block or two from the Williamsburg Savings Bank, but the general argument against the site was that it was too tall compared to the surroundings. How odd.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:09 AM
New Yorker for life

A little more in regards to the "miss Brooklyn" tallest issue...
http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categor...id=10&id=28753

Quote:
Borough President Marty Markowitz had been so happy to promote what he thought was unquestionably a good thing for Brooklyn. Here was an extraordinary scheme for a depressing eyesore stretch at a transportation hub at the junction of two major avenues – what could be better? Markowitz was stunned and hurt by the personal vindictiveness, instead of praise, that was directed at him. More even than most politicians, Markowitz wants to be liked by everyone.

Feeling battered, he looked for compromises. He agreed that the centerpiece “Miss Brooklyn” tower should be lowered so as not to exceed the height of the Williamsburgh Bank building.
Which really makes no sense when you consider that the height change wasn't really all that great, certainly not enough to make a difference on how it would affect the surrounding area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 1:11 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
They cut Miss Brooklyn just to be shorter, which is strange, because it's a mere block or two from the Williamsburg Savings Bank, but the general argument against the site was that it was too tall compared to the surroundings. How odd.
Not really. Miss Brooklyn and the Brooklyner have very different surroundings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 1:47 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yet, at more than 500 ft, Miss Brooklyn would still be taller than anything in the immediate area. The symbolism of keeping it shorter than the Williamsburg is lost.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

This view gives an idea of the difference and distance between the two areas (Brooklyner vs. Miss Brooklyn)...

threecee

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This view gives an idea of the difference and distance between the two areas (Brooklyner vs. Miss Brooklyn)...

threecee

I also checked on Google Maps and the two sites are less than 1000 feet apart. While I do understand that this section of Brooklyn is definitely moving past "downtown," I don't quite get the argument against extending the downtown area. Additionally, unlike somewhere like the far west side, there are ample transportation options. This development was not about to tax the neighborhood the way continued growth on the Queens waterfront and Williamsburg has (and Roosevelt Island, etc).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 9:17 PM

that pic of brooklyn and behind manhattan is great..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive