HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 6:13 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Just no 4 and 13 everything else will be there. Superstitions exist because there are people that beleive in them.

There's a quote from some famous scientest (can't remember who) when asked if he beleived in UFOs he said no, but he did beleive there are people that beleive in them.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
this whole superstition about numbers thing is ridiculous and embarrassing, not just locally since i know it is a widespread practice but for the human race in general.
as adults in a secular, science-based world we can't build a floor and label it a number that naturally follows the one before? when are people going to get over those silly notions?
seriously, it's 2008, not 400 b.c.
some people are weak, they will die out.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 10:41 PM
Community Guy

4 literally translates into "death" in chinese kids...and 13 is generally not used.

developers eat this up because all of a sudden you have higher floors to sell.

kinda like what trump did in NYC with his reduced height per floor deal

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 11:42 PM

LOL...it's actually hilarious that grown people are superstitious.
Anyways, superstition = cheaper stuff for me. I remember getting a dirt cheap ticket to London on 6/6/06.
Furthermore, it's not physically possible not to have those floors in a building which is higher than the number believed to be "bad," so how does this satisfy them?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 11:49 PM

Superstition is very much part of the Chinese traditional culture, and I would imagine it's the same for Japanese and Korean cultures.

One old Chinese tradition is to burn money, food, property, etc. so that your deceased loved ones receive it. And if you hate somebody who had just died, you take a picture of them and start whacking it with a shoe.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 1:45 AM

Quote:
mmmm.... have you looked at the skyline lately or seen any photos? because it's quite obvious that the skyline has already changed dramatically b/c of shangri-la
ya, it changed to a flat skyline with a stick. we can't call that change, we need real change that is masculine and revolutionary. and gordon cambell's giving it to us with all the skytrain projects, that's a real man right there. we need 10 woodwards and 5 shangri-la with 3 ritz in 10 years. we need to dump the whole eastside into the ocean all at once, and welcmoe the big capitalists, who are the real consumers that can pay a lot for drugs and women, to live in the new community, so to boost up our local economy. so, the new downtown eastside. so, change.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:02 AM
Cheers!

"...we need real change that is masculine..." Why masculine? What Whisky are you drinking?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:13 AM

Ok...so why not let the market take care of that then? Is is a superstitious person only building? If you don't want to live on a certain numbered floor, just don't buy an apartment on the floor. If we used all superstitions believed by everyone, we would be living in mud huts painted with exotic colours.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 1:57 PM

I think Coldrsx hit the nail on the head. A floor numbered 40 is much easier to sell then a floor numbered 36. This alone gives the developers even more incentive to follow the superstitions, which by the way some people still believe in somewhat when their spending half a million dollars.
Funny thing about superstition's is that there have been a number of times since 2001 that I flew on 9-11, always seems like its the day with the cheapest fares and most available tickets left. Also when I saw the London bombings in 2004 I bought tickets to London the next day from Prague, wasnt as good a deal as I hoped but there were cheaper accommodations available that suddenly got freed up anyways and I did save a couple bucks on my airfare. All in all it was worth it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
And if you hate somebody who had just died, you take a picture of them and start whacking it with a shoe.
Now that's bitter, lol. I kind of like it. It seems that westerners tend to either have a change of heart at the death of an enemy or pretend to so as not to appear unfeeling and inhumane.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Funny thing about superstition's is that there have been a number of times since 2001 that I flew on 9-11, always seems like its the day with the cheapest fares and most available tickets left. Also when I saw the London bombings in 2004 I bought tickets to London the next day from Prague, wasnt as good a deal as I hoped but there were cheaper accommodations available that suddenly got freed up anyways and I did save a couple bucks on my airfare. All in all it was worth it.
That's not quite superstition though, since the behaviour is connected to something that did happen and could happen again.
One's chances are extremely low and therefore people are being overly cautious. Still, there is a genuine "risk" of sorts, however small.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Now that's bitter, lol. I kind of like it. It seems that westerners tend to either have a change of heart at the death of an enemy or pretend to so as not to appear unfeeling and inhumane.
They also shout profanities and curses while doing it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:01 PM

The money burning thing has since evolved in to "paper" which represents money As the Chinese culture evolves, they realize the value of money more

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:20 AM

Took these today. Vancouver's newest skyline.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:02 AM

thanks.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:30 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

does anyone know the average size of a floor of the Main W Tower? From where I live it seems to be as large as Shangri-La. which is pretty massive for vancouver Residential Standards

from wiki I get this on Shangri-la
Floor count 62[1]
Floor area 64,692 square metres (696,339 sq ft)[2]

so roughly about 10,000 sq ft per floor.

I wonder what W 42 is? jlousa?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:28 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It's over a 10K floorplate, the tower is acutally called W-43 It is a larger floorplate then Shangri-la, there are 10 units per floor obviously the average unit is smaller then Shangri-las though, I'll look up the figure for the exact size of the floorplate.

Okay the sellable floorspace is just under 9K per floor, the floorplate (ie sellable+balconies+hallway/stairs/elevators) is 11K.

For the Abbott tower (32) (9units/floor) the sellable floorspace ~6200sqft and the floorplate ~8K still larger then most condo towers.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:18 PM

Yeah, it definitely looks wider than Shangri-La from certain angles.
I think I recall them hitting a view cone, so they had to put the FSR in two towers instead of one.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:56 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
It's over a 10K floorplate, the tower is acutally called W-43 It is a larger floorplate then Shangri-la, there are 10 units per floor obviously the average unit is smaller then Shangri-las though, I'll look up the figure for the exact size of the floorplate.

Okay the sellable floorspace is just under 9K per floor, the floorplate (ie sellable+balconies+hallway/stairs/elevators) is 11K.

For the Abbott tower (32) (9units/floor) the sellable floorspace ~6200sqft and the floorplate ~8K still larger then most condo towers.
thanks for the info! Ya W 43 looks massive from certain angles....namely from my home office looking out my window

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:30 AM

New neighbours

My photo, taken March 11th, 2008

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive