HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 9:47 PM

Whatever happened to that highrise that the Rockies opposed? Were there ever any renderings of it?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 2:05 AM
Up Up and Away

I don't recall seeing any renderings.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 7:16 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a rendering, only a massing model. Either way, Coors Field ended up buying that lot to permanently turn it into a parking lot (boooo!). They are now suggesting a permanent view plane be created to prevent their mountain views from ever being blocked. While I HATE the NIMBYism of the situation, I actually support the view plane. Coors Field/The Rockies have enough money to purchase all properties that could potentially block their view. At least if a view plane were enacted, Coors Field could be assured that no building would ever block their view and wouldn't feel the need to turn perfectly good development sites into parking lots.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 9:43 AM
Mile High City

I think Coor's should just allow a 1-3 story building, such as a Target (as many have brought up before). This or another retail company could work out a situation that ends up benefitting both sides. For example Coors get an annual fee for the space, but where a Target, or something of the sort, would be allowed to place some kind of moderate, yet visible signage that could be seen on TV. Companies would pay to see their name, and location, every time a homer is pelted at Coor's field if you ask me.

Make it cute for all I care and include the Rockies/baseball in the sign. Especially with the Target logo. It goes hand in hand with baseball. "Homer here for mile high deals!" Lame, but seems logical enough to me.

Everybody wins, and we get our downtown Target.

Last edited by Crush_Buds; Oct 26, 2009 at 8:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 3:59 AM

That's a great idea. I like it!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 7:42 AM

That idea almost works, except that Coors doesn't actually own the stadium, only the naming rights. The "Metropolitan Stadium District" owns the stadium. The district was established by Denver Metro voters when the metro-wide stadium tax was first created. The tax has long since paid off the stadium, and yet nobody seems to be able to explain what exactly the Metropolitan Stadium District is today, what their profit motives are, or why they continue to exist now that the taxes have been paid. It seems to me like the stadium should now be handed over to a government agency such as the City of Denver since taxpayers paid for it in the first place. Either way, the owners of Coors Field have their priorities set only for themselves and clearly have no intention of allowing development on any of their precious parking lots, or for that matter any lot that may block their mountain views.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:21 PM

12/5/09 update:

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 12:33 AM
Up Up and Away

Well, it creates more density.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 12:48 AM

I have mixed feelings about this building. It looked great in the renderings and looks great from up-close, and I like the overall concept of the glass panels covering large swaths of a standard international style facade.

However, the building looks half-completed from a distance. The other day while driving southbound on I-25, I couldn't help but notice how this building's facade looks like it was never fully installed. Your mind wants to believe the whole building will eventually be clad in glass, and the horizontal window bands only aid that mental trickery by appearing to be floor plates that have not yet had the facade installed over them.

Still a nice building, but from distant shots of the skyline, I'm getting visions of the Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 9:09 AM

It looks...weird. But it's a great shot with the mix of colors of buildings in the area - gives Denver a real funky look.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 6:10 AM
Robotic Construction

It's designed to be certified LEED Platinum. There's not many of those around the country, yet. LEED Silver and LEED Gold, yes... LEED Platinum, not so much! According to Wikipedia, there are currently only 81 LEED Platinum certified buildings in the entire World. This will be the 4th LEED Platinum building in the Denver metro. One of those being the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Renewable Energy Laboratory's Science And Technology Facility, Golden, Colorado (the first federal building to be given LEED Platinum certification).
Here's a link to the World's LEED Platinum buildings:

Xcel Energy really did this building right. I love the way it looks, it's a design that will grow on a community over time. I really love how eco-friendly this building will be as well! Well done Xcel!

Last edited by SnyderBock; Mar 17, 2010 at 6:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 6:24 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Yeah it's great it'll be LEED certified at the highest level. But I also agree with Matt about its styling. They really could have picked better colors. Tan, black and the true blue really clash with one another. Had they stuck to the renderings, it would have looked MUCH better. A '17th street plaza-like' off purple/grey, with semi-reflective black/sivler windows would have looked best. Soften the blue to look lighter and not as dark, the building's look would increase tremendously!

Sorry to say, but IMO the building's architect or materials purchaser must have been color blind.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 1:25 AM
Robotic Construction

Hmm, I think your suggestions are horrible! No offense, it's better the way it is. I love how dark the blue is. I think the white crown on top is excellent (as normally it would just be a flat normal roof). I could see the tan facade being a silver or titanium color, but it probably looks better the way it is. We can call it the Tetris Building! Does anyone have a very recent photo?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:07 AM
Robotic Construction

A new article published today by bizjournals.com is all about what we just discussed and how 1800 Larimer is designed to earn a LEED Platinum rating. It has all the details here:

Quote:
Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 5:12pm MDT
Builders eye LEED Platinum rating for Denver’s 1800 Larimer
Denver Business Journal

Builders of the new 1800 Larimer office building in downtown Denver said Wednesday that they expect to get a LEED Platinum certification for the structure soon after it’s finished this spring.

The 545,000-square-foot, 22-story building located at 1800 Larimer St. is expected to be finished in April.

“We anticipate a formal LEED Platinum certification in mid-May,” John McCorkle, senior project manager for the project’s general contractor, M.A. Mortenson Co. in Denver, said in a March 17 statement...

Read on for details about how the building's design will help it earn LEED Platinum:
http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver...l?surround=lfn

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 7:25 AM
Robotic Construction

Here was the latest news on this building, from August 16th, 2010:

Quote:
Denver’s 1800 Larimer wins LEED Platinum status
Monday, August 16, 2010
DENVER BUSINESS JOURNAL

Downtown Denver’s newest downtown office building, 1800 Larimer, has received LEED Platinum certification, as expected, developer Westfield Company Inc. said Monday.
The 500,000-square-foot, 22-story office building was built to LEED Platinum specifications, and completed in May. The structure is 80 percent leased by tenants such as Xcel Energy Inc. (NYSE: XEL) of Minneapolis, Citywide Banks, as well as Westfield and two of its affiliate companies, Frederick Ross Co. and Apartment Realty Advisors...

...Westfield says 1800 Larimer is one of the first high-rise office buildings in the country to get LEED Platinum status...

Read more: Denver’s 1800 Larimer wins LEED Platinum status - Denver Business Journal

Here is the latest photo update courtesy of rds70:

Courtesy: rds70

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive