HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 7:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Barrington development is interesting. It's possible to imagine a version of that development that would be a big net win. 1343 Barrington has little publicly visible heritage value and there's a large underused lot in behind. If this stretch had been a bit better preserved it might have been a candidate for complete preservation but as it is it could use some sympathetic new development.

Dexel projects tend to be decent too so there's no reason to assume they'll build something awful.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Barrington development is interesting. It's possible to imagine a version of that development that would be a big net win. 1343 Barrington has little publicly visible heritage value and there's a large underused lot in behind. If this stretch had been a bit better preserved it might have been a candidate for complete preservation but as it is it could use some sympathetic new development.

Dexel projects tend to be decent too so there's no reason to assume they'll build something awful.
I remember going to a public meeting on this, which Louie Lawen attended. He seemed genuine about wanting to preserve the two heritage buildings, but only if he could get some additional height behind them that he said was necessary to make the project economical.

He also talked about preserving and even restoring the middle building to something like its original state. That would be amazing, but I'm pretty doubtful it would happen. I'll be happy just to see the two still intact ones restored and preserved, with something new in-between and behind. And if the city can't arrange a compromise, honestly, I say give him what he wants. Until we get better legislation on heritage, property owners/developers hold all the cards. The city can play hardball, but they're guaranteed to lose.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I know the city and owner were trying to reach a decision that would preserve them in full. The developer applied for demolition three years ago as of last October, so he can legally demolish them now--but that period ends as of this October, after which he'd have to apply for a new permit, and wait another three years. I haven't heard anything about it, and four months after demolition was permissible both buildings are still occupied, so I guess that's a good sign, thought not definitive.

As for the building across from Flynn Flats, yeah, that would be an atrocious loss. It's pitiful that the conversation district for here has been in a holding pattern for so long.
Thanks for that. It sounds encouraging that they are thinking about preserving them. Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
He also talked about preserving and even restoring the middle building to something like its original state. That would be amazing, but I'm pretty doubtful it would happen. I'll be happy just to see the two still intact ones restored and preserved, with something new in-between and behind. And if the city can't arrange a compromise, honestly, I say give him what he wants. Until we get better legislation on heritage, property owners/developers hold all the cards. The city can play hardball, but they're guaranteed to lose.
Maybe they showed this in the meeting but here's what it used to look like:

Source

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:44 AM

Wow! What a change/loss! I don't recall seeing that pic before.

It doesn't seem like a realistic expectation that this facade would be recreated, though it would be fantastic if it were the plan.

Just looking at it again... what a bizarre conversion. To see the old building behind a featureless rectangular facade really makes me wonder what they were thinking!

https://goo.gl/maps/M8tuRaVhRLA2

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Wow! What a change/loss! I don't recall seeing that pic before.

It doesn't seem like a realistic expectation that this facade would be recreated, though it would be fantastic if it were the plan.

Just looking at it again... what a bizarre conversion. To see the old building behind a featureless rectangular facade really makes me wonder what they were thinking!

https://goo.gl/maps/M8tuRaVhRLA2
That is an astonishing loss. I always wondered what the deal was with the old brick and roof behind such a generic front. I really hope these buildings stay as they're a big part of the neighbourhood character.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:42 PM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:49 PM

Hmph... this one is actually turning out better than I thought it would, at least in photos. Been too busy to swing by and have a look in person, though.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Mar 15, 2019 at 7:08 PM. Reason: "too", not "to"! :)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hmph... this one is actually turning out better than I thought it would, at least in photos. Been to busy to swing by and have a look in person, though.
It seems to me that Louie Lawen builds tasteful building exteriors every time!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 10:05 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 11:33 AM
Closed account

I'm excited for this and the proposed Governor's Plaza to go in. It'll be a few years, but having Bishop Street without Jersey barriers and that gravel lot filled in will be great for the streetscape.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I'm excited for this and the proposed Governor's Plaza to go in. It'll be a few years, but having Bishop Street without Jersey barriers and that gravel lot filled in will be great for the streetscape.
It makes a big difference not to have too many gaps to detract from the visual appeal, interest at eye level for pedestrians, and variety of potential destinations. If Governor's Plaza is built then Bishop will have no significant gaps (as long as we don't count the Bishop's Landing parking lot).

If you look around Halifax it's hard to find commercial areas that have a consistent streetscape for more than a block or two. Prince Street comes fairly close for an impressive 9 (short) blocks. Dresden Row might qualify. Argyle is very close (there's one little empty lot). Barrington only has one but it's a bad one: a big hole right at George Street, the spot that might be considered the central axis of the city.

Aside from looking ugly, the gaps cut down on density a lot. We often hear people complain about the density of new development but for each highrise there is an empty patch of asphalt somewhere with nothing on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall FAR for downtown Halifax is something like 2-3 once you include roadways and empty lots.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:54 PM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:56 AM

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:54 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 6:36 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 9:45 PM

Interesting to see in the background of the last photo that the crane at Brenton Street was swapped out for a new one.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Interesting to see in the background of the last photo that the crane at Brenton Street was swapped out for a new one.
Ah, that's what they were working on with the mobile crane on Clyde Street. Was there a problem with the first crane? I remember it had that electrical fire a few months ago...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Ah, that's what they were working on with the mobile crane on Clyde Street. Was there a problem with the first crane? I remember it had that electrical fire a few months ago...
The electrical fire was the sister site crane, same formwork company though but a newer crane. From what I can tell the one on Brenton was Lead’s oldest as they have been getting new or gently used cranes lately to replace older gear. I had seen a few new yellow flat top crane parts heading downtown last week, so I assume they bought a new one and swapped them out. Not a cheap or simple swap when you see the mobile crane setup.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:54 PM

Great pics!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth