HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 3:58 AM

Will! Back from the dead! And posting sweet, sweet pics to boot!

Nice to see those apt. and condo's coming together. I'll have to check that out myself sometime.

I too, am excited to see the design for the Justice Centre.

Shame about the cement at the Celebration Plaza. Isn't lasting long at all.

I didn't even know about that little plaza in front of City Hall. Cool!
Are going insane.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Will! Back from the dead! And posting sweet, sweet pics to boot!

Nice to see those apt. and condo's coming together. I'll have to check that out myself sometime.

I too, am excited to see the design for the Justice Centre.

Shame about the cement at the Celebration Plaza. Isn't lasting long at all.

I didn't even know about that little plaza in front of City Hall. Cool!
Thanks Tru, is good to be back. The Justice Centre sure seems like it could be an opportunity for the downtown. The Co-op has just announced they are closing their downtown grocery store, so the we could certainly use some good news.

Right now we're still hearing positive noises from our newly elected UCP MLA's regarding capital funding for the hospital. I'm not sure if it is realistic to expect either an expansion or a new hospital, but it certainly seems like it would be hard to walk back the comments made during the campaign regarding the need for new investment.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:16 AM

Honestly, the hospital issue is number 1. If the UCP wanted to solidify support here, all they would need to do is build a new hospital or expand the current. That's it really. People would be praising the UCP for a long time if they just did that one thing.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsma View Post
Thanks Tru, is good to be back. The Justice Centre sure seems like it could be an opportunity for the downtown. The Co-op has just announced they are closing their downtown grocery store, so the we could certainly use some good news.

Right now we're still hearing positive noises from our newly elected UCP MLA's regarding capital funding for the hospital. I'm not sure if it is realistic to expect either an expansion or a new hospital, but it certainly seems like it would be hard to walk back the comments made during the campaign regarding the need for new investment.
Red deer hospital expansion will go ahead at the expense of the New SW Edmonton Hospital. However Red Deer does not have a lot of space left to expand on. So Maybe we will see a new hospital.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Red deer hospital expansion will go ahead at the expense of the New SW Edmonton Hospital. However Red Deer does not have a lot of space left to expand on. So Maybe we will see a new hospital.
The current site is indeed pretty tight. Any thoughts about what might make a good site for a new hospital?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:30 AM

Isn’t the hospital parkade fairly new? Would be a shame to abandon the infrastructure when it’s so new. Is there the possibility to build up on the hospital site?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:04 PM

If you do get a new one I expect it at a new location as well. Similar but not to GP. Lots of room out near the college.

I know that the old GP hospital will be repurposed to long term care.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:09 AM

I don't see how meaningful expansion can take place at the current hospital. There's literally no room except building on top of what's already there. Sure they might be able to re-purpose some areas of the existing hospital into something else that's more priority, but if we want more beds, op rooms, pretty much anything, it needs a new site.

Now, where should a new hospital be built? I've seen this discussed at length on facebook and the consensus that I've felt out is that it should be built NW of the 67th St/30 Ave roundabout on the east side of the city. Lots and lots of room as it's just open fields right now. This may also help get the proposed Northland Drive built out as well.

I also remember reading a letter (link below) about the possibility of building it in the old civic yards downtown. Can't see that happening at all tho given City plans for that area.

As for the current Red Deer Regional Hospital, it would continue to operate as it does today.

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/opin...-new-location/
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 5:34 PM

I like the idea put forward in the letter. I think the train has left the station for the courthouse - the RCMP detachment is mostly down already, and I'm guessing there has been a lot of design work done for that site - but having the hospital right downtown would be amazing.

Here is one link to a map of the hospital site: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Red...4d-113.8180643

You can see that on the current site there is a little bit of surface parking remaining, but it would be challenging to build on and challenging to connect to the current facility.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Red...4d-113.8180643
Zooming out shows a little more room - lands that could potentially be expropriated south of the parkade and then - again, maybe this would be easy, maybe not, - connected by building west of the parkade. Or maybe the pharmacy/offices east of the hospital could be taken down...?

I'm not saying it is a good idea, but there may still be ways of making the existing site work.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 5:38 PM

Also, the 2019 anticipated construction update for Capstone: https://www.liveincapstone.ca/news/c...n-in-capstone/

I think this is mostly the stuff they've already posted that they anticipate completing. I'm not sure what to think of the likelihood this development will be successful. If the economy were to expand again at anything like the pace it did before 2014, we'd be golden. If not? I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:07 PM

Yah I dunno about expansion at the current site without some demo work of other buildings, re-alignment of streets and/or pedways connecting the hospital buildings together.

I think the city has too many dreams about Capstone development to want to stick a hospital there. I thought that Capstone was part of the downtown revitalization project. There was large amounts of public consults done for it and I'm pretty sure no one mentioned a hospital there.
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
I think the city has too many dreams about Capstone development to want to stick a hospital there. I thought that Capstone was part of the downtown revitalization project. There was large amounts of public consults done for it and I'm pretty sure no one mentioned a hospital there.
I haven't heard any thoughts of putting the hospital there either. I think they're still very much thinking "urban village". It will be interesting to see if they are able to attract private investment to the area.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:26 PM

I think they are already struggling with private investment there. Tho I think I did hear a while back that a major hotel was looking to build there.
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:53 PM

Speaking of private investment, the recent rejection of this project was interesting. Has anyone heard about the outcome of the appeal?

Quote:
Rejected Red Deer County cannabis production facility to go to appeal
County’s subdivision and development appeal board hearing set for May 2

PAUL COWLEYApr. 22, 2019 12:30 p.m.

A Calgary group whose proposal to build a huge cannabis production facility in Red Deer County was turned down last month will make its case before an appeal board.

Sevenz Consulting wants to build a 190,000-square-foot cannabis facility comprised of a series of buildings, including sealed production facilities, on 10 acres of a 90-acre site in Blindman Industrial Park, just west of Red Deer.

They presented their application to the county’s municipal planning commission on March 27, but it was rejected, mostly because commission members felt it was too close to a residential area.

A number of residents feared the facility would lead to odour problems, attract crime and lower property values.

The subdivision and development appeal board is holding a hearing on the project at Red Deer County Centre on May 2 at 1:30 p.m.

Sevenz Consulting vice-president Sunny Sarpal said the cannabis facilities would be sealed from the outside and will have multiple filtration systems that go beyond Health Canada requirements.

See full article

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:59 PM

This apartment project by - I think? - Black Creek developments was given approval. Seems like a small step in the direction of densifying our sprawly little city, overcoming a little bit of NIMBY protest in the process.

Quote:
Normandeau apartment development approved
Developer hopes to build two apartments near Normandeau School

PAUL COWLEYMay. 2, 2019 4:55 p.m.

Normandeau could get a significant residential boost.

The municipal planning commission approved by a 3-2 vote a development permit for the construction of two four-storey apartments off Norquay Street near Normandeau School. The apartments would join four others on the site.

Some neighbours in the area voiced their objection to the project, arguing it would create traffic and parking problems and was too big a development for the area.

City planners recommended approval of the project, noting additional parking and access points would be created. Planners also pointed out the building heights and sizes fit the Land Use Bylaw and are in keeping with the city’s vision for increasing density in neighbourhoods.

The site where the new buildings will go is under-utilized, say planners, who added the project will help the community remain sustainable.

City planning manager Emily Damberger said the project fit the development guidelines the city has developed for neighbourhoods more than 15 years old. When reviewing proposed developments, planners look at the “street context,” such as the heights of nearby buildings, landscaping privacy and zoning.

“Those are the sorts of things to try to make the new development to fit in best as it can with an old neighbourhood, to make it compatible.”

Damberger said the apartment project was a scaled-down version of a five-storey twin apartment development that was rejected by the planning commission last year. Only minor variances on landscaping and amenities were sought.

See full article

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:17 AM

Rather exciting, the DBA and a few other city organizations are moving to a rather neglected stretch of Little Gaetz...

Quote:
Red Deer DBA and police foot patrol are moving into formerly derelict building on Little Gaetz
“We need to be there” — to change the downtown’s crime and drug problems: BDA director

LANA MICHELINMay. 28, 2019 4:50 p.m.LOCAL NEWSNEWS

Red Deer’s Downtown Business Association and police foot patrol are moving their offices right into the heart of the city’s drug and crime problems on Little Gaetz Avenue.

As of June 6, the once boarded up Eccentric Market and Cafe will become the new home of the Red Deer Downtown Business Association and it’s Catapult Entrepreneurial Incubator.

The RCMP downtown patrol officers will also be based out of the same renovated building at 5009-50th Ave.

With so many concerns expressed by businesses and customers about drug debris, loitering and crime on that block, “we need to be there… we are hoping to change the use of that area,” said Amanda Gould, executive-director of the Red Deer Downtown Business Association.

“I think people are going to be seeing some positive activity in that location,” she added, once there’s a combined police and DBA presence.

Turning the once boarded-up building into a “one-stop shop for the DBA, the downtown police and Catapult… I am quite confident (it) will improve the whole street.”

Beyond boosting safety, Gould is also happy to put a formerly boarded-up storefront back into use. She said the move will allow more space to accommodate the DBA’s Catapult business accelerator program, which couldn’t fit into the DBA’s present location in the downtown train station.

The former Eccentric Cafe was left derelict for years after its former owner died. The building was recently purchased by Seth Schalk and his father Stan, who are both with Potter’s Hands Ministries.

Seth Schalk said he personally invested in buying the building — which is in one of Red Deer’s most problematic areas — to make a positive difference to the city’s core.

“I have a heart for the downtown,” said Schalk, who noted Potter’s Hands previously created transitional and low-income housing to help get homeless people off the street.

See full article

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:21 AM

More news from downtown. Sort of a different take on the same thing...

Quote:
Updated: A limping economy prompts Red Deer to change its approach to economic development
Economic development department to move out of City Hall to CPR station

PAUL COWLEYMay. 29, 2019 12:15 p.m.LOCAL NEWSNEWS

An economic downturn that has lingered longer than many expected is changing the way the City of Red Deer looks at attracting investment.

“Historically, our economic development department had focused a lot on land and the provision of land in order to facilitate economic development,” said Mayor Tara Veer on Wednesday.

“We recognize in this new economic normal we’re in — particularly because of the recession — that we actually need to be more proactive in how we approach economic development.”

Veer made her comments following a news conference announcing that the Downtown Business Association and RCMP are to share space in a long-vacant downtown building just north of Ross Street on Little Gaetz Avenue.

Also announced was the intention to move the city’s economic development staff out of their fourth-floor City Hall offices into a higher-profile location in the historic CPR station at the foot of Ross Street.

Veer said the move will “send a very strong signal to potential investors that we are serious about our economic diversification.”

“Land and economic development needs to have a stronger public interface and not just be housed at City Hall,” said Veer.

Veer sees the move as an opportunity to shift the department’s focus from processing economic development opportunities to playing a more active role in selling the community.

“The train station is a perfect location,” she said, adding it is at the gateway of the historic downtown and close to the Railyards and the under-development Capstone at Riverlands districts.

See full article

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:37 AM

This is from the Three Robins, taken last week downtown. The developers - PK Developments - are a marvel, at least from a Red Deer perspective. This building has gone up quickly and - not sure quite how to quantify this - they just look like they know what they're doing. I'm not sure - maybe they were pouring the foundation in September of last year...?

Anyhow, I was a little excited to see the siding going on. I haven't driven past in the last few days but I'm guessing they are already quite a bit further along.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:39 PM

A new office development off of Taylor Drive, kitty-corner from the Red Deer Regional Hospital. There has been a sign with a rending of the office up for years and years now. Interesting - my wife drove by yesterday - construction has now actually started. I'm not sure how the financial math on this even works, because downtown already has two decently sized, newish buildings that - to the best of my knowledge - have no tenants at all...

Anyhow, here is a link to the Berry Architecture website with renderings and a description of the project.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:18 PM

Where was the sign located that showed the rendering? I don't recall ever seeing it. I know there were many Century21 Advantage signs up for a long time tho.

This is good news tho. Fill up the empty lot.
Are going insane.

Last edited by the.tru.albertan; May 31, 2019 at 11:43 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia