HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:48 PM

[Dartmouth] IKEA | Complete

Here is a thread for discussion on the new full-size IKEA store that will be opening in Dartmouth Crossing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:34 PM

It'll be interesting to see what retailers set up shop beside IKEA in the new development. I'm sure there are a few restaurants/shops that may be persuaded by a neighbour like IKEA.

IKEA will be a huge draw to Halifax. In fact, I don't think there are any other retailers that have as big of a draw as IKEA, so this is a huge win

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
It'll be interesting to see what retailers set up shop beside IKEA in the new development. I'm sure there are a few restaurants/shops that may be persuaded by a neighbour like IKEA.

IKEA will be a huge draw to Halifax. In fact, I don't think there are any other retailers that have as big of a draw as IKEA, so this is a huge win
My last time in Dartmouth Crossing, I've noticed a lot of empty storefronts in the "downtown area" (I don't know the actual name of the blocks). This may help fill up those storefronts.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 11:22 PM

It does appear to have covered parking underneath part (or all) of the building or an actual parkade similar to the IKEA in Ottawa. It also seems taller than the newer IKEA's in Montreal and Winnipeg due to the covered parking like Ottawa.

Dartmouth Crossing

Ottawa

Winnipeg

Montreal

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:37 PM

AllNovaScotia (that's the online news site that can, indeed, be named) is reporting that Atlantic Road Construction and Paving has been contracted by North American Development to prepare the site for IKEA. Co-owner Tom Hickey is reported as saying it will be one of the biggest jobs the company has taken on in its eight years in business. He admits its going to take a lot of heavy machinery moving a lot of rock to level the former quarry. He says they're working now to complete the work plan but the project should begin "soon".

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
AllNovaScotia (that's the online news site that can, indeed, be named) is reporting that Atlantic Road Construction and Paving has been contracted by North American Development to prepare the site for IKEA. Co-owner Tom Hickey is reported as saying it will be one of the biggest jobs the company has taken on in its eight years in business. He admits its going to take a lot of heavy machinery moving a lot of rock to level the former quarry. He says they're working now to complete the work plan but the project should begin "soon".
IKEA should have built in Moncton. Site prep here would only entail moving some dirt around with a bulldozer for a couple of weeks. You don't have to loosen rocks with a thermonuclear device like you have to do down in far off Haligon.

I jest of course.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
IKEA should have built in Moncton. Site prep here would only entail moving some dirt around with a bulldozer for a couple of weeks. You don't have to loosen rocks with a thermonuclear device like you have to do down in far off Haligon.

I jest of course.
I'd favour a compromise. That store would look good floating on the Tantramar Marshes.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
I'd favour a compromise. That store would look good floating on the Tantramar Marshes.
Wind power would be a plus...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Can't build on a wetland...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Can't build on a wetland...
Tell that to Saint John.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Tell that to Saint John.
Burn! (on us)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 11:31 PM

The president of IKEA said this will cost $100 million to build.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 12:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
$80M of that will be for site preparation.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
What source quotes him as saying that ?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Now that it's on the Internet, it MUST be true!!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The Herald, for one:
The store will cost the company about $100 million, Sjostrand said.

“It’s a huge investment,” he said in an interview.

“But for us, it’s important to do this type of investment, especially for us now moving east, and that’s fantastic and to really stand up and say coast to coast, which is really important for us.”
Full text

AllNovaScotia also reported Sjostrand as saying that at "roughly $100 million", it's a "large investment for us".

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
AllNovaScotia also reported Sjostrand as saying that at "roughly $100 million", it's a "large investment for us".
You can't say that name!! You'll get SSP in trouble!!!

By convention we refer to it as "the website that shall not be named"........

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
You can't say that name!! You'll get SSP in trouble!!!

By convention we refer to it as "the website that shall not be named"........
The "convention" is silly and it's time to scrap it.

If AllNovaScotia can build its business and pay underemployed journalists by peddling overpriced subscriptions under a brand of exclusivity, I say more power to them. The SSP is under no obligation to help them.

Canadian copyright law is quite clear and does not protect ANS any more or less than it protects the Chronicle Herald, the Globe and Mail or the Digby Courier for that matter.

One of the clearest expressions of the law I know comes from Innovation, Science and Development Canada:
It is the expression of facts that is protected by copyright, not the facts themselves. For example, the facts in a magazine article are in the public domain. Anyone can use those facts as long as they do not copy the way the author of the article has expressed them. As long as you use your own words, you will not infringe copyright.
In short, you can mention, cite, even quote with attribution small portions of an article from any published source without running afoul of Canadian copyright law.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
The "convention" is silly and it's time to scrap it.

If AllNovaScotia can build its business and pay underemployed journalists by peddling overpriced subscriptions under a brand of exclusivity, I say more power to them. The SSP is under no obligation to help them.

Canadian copyright law is quite clear and does not protect ANS any more or less than it protects the Chronicle Herald, the Globe and Mail or the Digby Courier for that matter.

One of the clearest expressions of the law I know comes from Innovation, Science and Development Canada:
It is the expression of facts that is protected by copyright, not the facts themselves. For example, the facts in a magazine article are in the public domain. Anyone can use those facts as long as they do not copy the way the author of the article has expressed them. As long as you use your own words, you will not infringe copyright.
In short, you can mention, cite, even quote with attribution small portions of an article from any published source without running afoul of Canadian copyright law.
Thank you. People are running scared of these guys for some reason, though they have no legal leg to stand on. If I copy and paste a whole bunch of stuff from AllNS, that's a copyright violation. If I say "AllNS reported developer so-and-so is gonna do such-and-such", it's fair.

(I'm disposed to dislike AllNS in part because the writing and reporting quality is often so shoddy. But that's pretty standard for local journalism...)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
$80M of that will be for site preparation.
I drove by last night. It's a hell of a lot of rock to move. I wonder if King's Wharf is still looking for infill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs